jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Should junk food ads be banned?

1. Ella Quirk profile image77
    Ella Quirkposted 5 years ago

Should junk food ads be banned?

Given the weight and subsequent health problems caused by  junk food should advertisers be forced to take some responsibility and stop advertising rubbish food, especially to children? Personal responsibility is important but advertising must be persuading at least some people to go down the junk route or companies wouldn't spend millions of dollars on it.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image96
    Rochelle Frankposted 5 years ago

No. Banning things like that make them even more desirable to some.
    The only real solution is for parents to take responsibility. People need to educate themselves, so that their children aren't exposed to so much advertising garbage, and so they can teach them to make make better choices when they are confronted by rubbish.
    If all the bad choices are banned, we might as well live in a strictly regimented prison where we have no choices at all , and never learn to make a decision for ourselves.

1. Ella Quirk profile image77
      Ella Quirkposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Trouble is, not all parents are responsible or equipped to deal with the ad onslaught. J-food ads targeted at young children are particularly pernicious. When cigarette ads were banned, in conjunction with a wider education plan, it made a difference

3. beaddve1800 profile image75
    beaddve1800posted 5 years ago

The over photoshopped junk food ads should be banned..

4. cloverleaffarm profile image64
    cloverleaffarmposted 5 years ago

The answer is banning irresponsible parents. Banning the ads will not make those parents responsible. They'll just something else stupid.
    How can a parent be not "equipped to deal with the onslaught". There were plenty of junk food ads when my kids were little, and there was one word for them when they asked...NO! It's that easy. They may not have liked it at the time, but they got over it. I think today's parents are too much into "being friends" with their kids, and not being able to say no. "Oh, it'll hurt their self esteem", as one parent told me. I almost choked...her. Saying no is the most important thing we can do for our kids.
    Anyway, no I don't think banning ads will make a difference.
    Great question, by the way.

5. Virtuous1 profile image61
    Virtuous1posted 5 years ago

I think we should not have as many as we do...no wonder we have more people in America with more health issues...we need to have more healthier ads and start teaching people to eat better by making better choices.