jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

What is your favorite tip for packing a healthy school lunch?

1. DeborahNeyens profile image98
    DeborahNeyensposted 5 years ago

What is your favorite tip for packing a healthy school lunch?

2. Sturgeonl profile image82
    Sturgeonlposted 5 years ago

Let the child participate in planning and packing their own healthy school lunch. This way the child learns to eat right and make healthy food choices.

3. fitmom profile image83
    fitmomposted 5 years ago

Fruits, vegetables, and nuts, are healthy and yummy. Of course, I would send things that I knew my child liked and was familiar with.  smile

4. nochance profile image93
    nochanceposted 5 years ago

Mix it up a little bit. Don't always pack the same thing. Try different fruits and vegetables. Slicing them up makes them more fun to eat than eating them whole (ex. apples, oranges, strawberries, carrots).

A trick I learned recently is to freeze yogurt then put it in your pack. It works as an ice pack and frozen yogurt doubles as a treat, it's just like fruit flavored ice cream. It's a new personal favorite because I'm not a huge fan of normal yogurt texture.

Small portions of several different things. This way you can throw in something slightly less healthy as a treat but it's still okay because it's only a small portion.

I also recently discovered those crystal lite flavoring packets. They're only 10 calories and are perfect for putting in water bottles. Much less sugar than juice or pop, though if your kid is still in school and can get milk for lunch try to convince them to do that.

1. heidimedina profile image61
      heidimedinaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Just a thought on those Crystal Lite packs: they are filled with artificial sweeteners which cause health issues such as headaches, anxiety, even cancer & more.  Try adding fruit slices& crushed mint leaves to flavor their water instead for f

5. heidimedina profile image61
    heidimedinaposted 5 years ago

Let them pick out one thing at the grocery store each week for the lunch box and then get them to help prepare fun foods at home they will want to eat because they helped to make it.

working