jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

How can people find tasty healthy food while living a hectic city life?

1. K9keystrokes profile image93
    K9keystrokesposted 6 years ago

How can people find tasty healthy food while living a hectic city life?

2. sashas89 profile image68
    sashas89posted 6 years ago

This is a difficult question to answer. A lot depends on your lifestyle and where you live. Most big cities nowadays have plenty of healthy dining options, so in a large enough city, you at least won't have issues of choice.

On the other hand, if you are in a profession where you get scarcely any time to eat and have to grab whatever you can, it can definitely build up some bad food habits.

Most of my programmer friends are hooked on to fast food because it is convenient. That's a bad road to be walking on...

3. vespawoolf profile image97
    vespawoolfposted 6 years ago

That's an excellent question. A busy lifestyle makes it difficult to follow a healthy diet, but not impossible. Start off the morning with a wholegrain breakfast. This hub has some delicious recipes that would "stick to your ribs" and carry you through to lunch. And you can make them in a slow cooker, which will save you a lot of time in the morning.
    http://techygran.hubpages.com/hub/4-Sup … ge-Recipes
    If you could find time to pack a healthy lunch, you'd avoid the fast food choices available. I recommend something more than a sandwich, a meal hearty enough to fill you up which includes protein, fresh vegetables and whole grains. This hub has some good suggestions:
    http://ilovelunch.hubpages.com/hub/Healthy-Lunch-Ideas
    Dinner can be something lighter, and make sure it's lean. Remember the old saying, "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a queen, dinner like a pauper."

4. yogiwan profile image49
    yogiwanposted 6 years ago

There is really no reason to not be able to have tasty healthy food.  The hectic city life is always one of choices and priorities.  Sure it is easy to grab something at a fast food outlet but the calories and high fat content goes with this.

There are many other options
    *  if it has to be fast, why not grab fresh vegetables, fruit, granola and yoghurt
    *  if you have 20 to 30 minutes, there are a number of options for quick tasty and healthy meals for 1, 2 or more
    *  if you have more than 45 minutes, you can not only prepare a meal but you can create things for the next days lunch and snacks or even several days meals.

It may take some education and research, but there are number of cookbooks for 1 or 2 people and there are many suggestions for meals in under 30 minutes and for things that you can cook one time and enjoy several times.

chef@yoursmartkitchen.com

5. Claudia Tello profile image78
    Claudia Telloposted 6 years ago

I think that today there are many alternatives that make a healthy diet easy and attainable for everyone. Buying prewashed, ready-to-eat greens at the grocery store is a big help and time-saving tip, now a days you have plenty of produce to chose from: sprouts, big variety of lettuce, spinach, arugula, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, celery, etc (and I imagine in the States the variety is even bigger).
    Chose the healthy option in everything you buy at the supermarket: for example, 100% whole grain bread, every sandwich can turn into a healthy lunch if it is made with healthy top and bottom, and free of saturated fat. 
    Chose recipes with just a few ingredients: you can create a huge catalogue of healthy delicious salads by combining a green vegetable, a lean source of protein and a good source of unsaturated fat, simply dressing it with olive oil, vinegar, salt & pepper.
    Eat raw food! Apples, pears, grapes, tangerines, cherries, bananas, carrots, all salad greens, celery, cucumbers, nuts, seeds, avocado, tomatoes, everything that can be eaten raw takes cero, or almost cero prep and cooking time!

6. JSParker profile image90
    JSParkerposted 6 years ago

Recently I've discovered the time-saving and healthy virtues of stir fry, for lunch or dinner.  Cut up small pieces of chicken, pork, or beef and nearly any vegetables you fancy.  (Cook the hard veggies like broccolli in boiling water for a minute or two before adding to the stir fry.) You can buy a basic sauce or make up this one:  2 T. corn starch, 3 T brown sugar, 1/2 cup light corn syrup, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup water, 2 T dry sherry, 1 T sesame oil, 1 T rice vinegar, 1 T minced fresh ginger (or 1 teasp. dry), 2 teasp. minced garlic.    Mix together in a saucepan and cook for a couple minutes until sauce thickens.  Drizzle over your stir fry before serving.

7. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 6 years ago

This is a really good question and one I've struggled with personally.  When life gets hectic (when is it not) you still need to have a rhythm to the day. 

Eat meals at the same time and prepare food for them or have a place where you can pick it up.

For example, I eat most days at 7:45AM and make egg whites with salsa and turkey bacon.  Lunch I eat before noon.  I typically go to a local salad place and bring it back to my desk.  Dinner I grill at home which usually consists of meat (chicken, fish, pork) and a vegetable around 7:45 AM.

For snacks I keep rice cakes and almond butter, protien bars, raw nuts and the occasional piece of fruit in the office.

So, the summary is have a schedule, prepare or know where you'll buy food in advance.

For me, I do great until I'm surrounded by junk food, so another tip is to keep the bad stuff out of the house and out of your life.

8. akirchner profile image97
    akirchnerposted 6 years ago

Seek out natural foods and QUALITY foods at local markets.  Stay away from processed foods as much as possible.  It takes just as long to prepare a packaged food as it does to make healthy no-nonsense foods that are much healthier for you.  Give up things like chips and convenience foods - you'll feel better, your pocketbook will have more money in it, and you'll be doing the environment a favor to boot!

9. Minn.purplerose profile image60
    Minn.purpleroseposted 6 years ago

It's very helpful to make healthy recipes on the weekend.  Make extra and freeze leftovers for during the week.  Also, many things can be cooked up quickly, like a checken breast, fish fillet, etc.  Then add to it some fresh-cooked veggies (which may only take 15-20 min.) and you've got yourself a nice meal.  Also, frozen veggies are a good substitute and can be made more quickly because they are blanched before frozen.  Purchase a Magic Bullet and you can make fresh, healthy smoothies in just 30 seconds.  You can purchase frozen fruit, add banana and orange juice or yogurt. a little ice and you have a great smoothie.  Pre-cut veggies and fruit when you have more time and put them in containers so you can just grab them when you're hungry.

10. profile image57
    shorty72posted 6 years ago

I often make extra the night before  and take that the next day to work, so then I just have to heat it up. Like a stirfry or rissotto and sometimes a pasta dish if I want the extra carbs. It always seem to taste better when you make it yourself.

working