Kids Shun Healthy School Lunches

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (23 posts)
  1. lady_love158 profile image60
    lady_love158posted 13 years ago

http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/ct … 0768.story

Sooo what's next send the government food police to force the food down their throats? Maybe the kids are just pining for some of those ribs Michelle eats! Lol

1. AnnCee profile image66
      AnnCeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow, 1575 calories.   Hope she hit the slopes real hard.

School lunch:http://www.healthyreader.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/ideal-lunch.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_LxZspW4dcfQ/SmOBbtD7BDI/AAAAAAAADYE/CSci2DV7vUg/s400/sick+emoticon.png

Dude, pass the ribs.

1. lady_love158 profile image60
        lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lol! And more than 140 grams of fat!
        http://www.food.com/recipe/coffee-brais … ile-102536

2. kerryg profile image84
        kerrygposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Uh huh. 'Cause these look sooooo much better...

http://i54.tinypic.com/34hzwy0.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/299y8j.jpg

2. AnnCee profile image66
    AnnCeeposted 13 years ago

I get sick and tired of all this bs about poor  people not being able to eat nutritionally.

I made a stir fry out of frozen mixed veg, celery, kale, three chicken thighs, soy sauce and fettucini today.  It's a whole large skillet full which will easily feed six people.  Must have cost me a total of five or six bucks.  I did add toasted sesame oil, that might be expensive, I can't remember.   I'm not poor but I get by spending very little on food.  I don't blow my food budget on prepared things like the salty frozen burritos I see in so many baskets.

People eat poorly because they want to.  I think it has something to do with laziness in many cases.

1. kerryg profile image84

I agree with you in essence, actually, since my cooking habits are similar to yours and I make a game of seeing which of the other people standing in line with me at the grocery store have the un-healthiest cartloads. This being one of the fattest states in the union, the winner's cart usually makes me want to vomit.

BUT I also recognize that I live a 10 minute walk from 1 crappy grocery store and a 5-10 minute drive from 6 or 7 good ones. Not everybody is so lucky. Are you familiar with the concept of food deserts?

2. John Holden profile image61
      John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps with a lack of education thrown in, it's easy to think that because we can cobble a meal together from three match sticks, a lettuce leaf and a banana, every body can.
      I left home with a picture of food as something my mother prepared so I too prepared my own food, might not somebody from a home where all that is eaten are ready meals just carry on the tradition, thinking that is how food is prepared?

1. Pandoras Box profile image61
        Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes. Sometimes people have a very narrow view of reality. Add in a touch of willing self-righteousness and it makes things difficult for them to understand.

1. John Holden profile image61

Oh! And I thought it was just a lack of education!

2. AnnCee profile image66

That's true.  And sad. 

Actually my mother worked and we ate very simply.  I imitated Donna Reed, Mrs. Cleaver and some of my friends' moms to become a good housewife.  Glad to do it.   Glad to be one.  Education need not be formal.  Desire is everything.  We choose our own role models.

1. John Holden profile image61

Oh most definitely, I was using education rather than Education to separate it from formal education.

3. AnnCee profile image66

I am.  They exist because companies don't want to locate in crime ridden areas.

Another aspect of that is what some grocery companies do in terms of unloading second grade and out of date groceries in crime ridden neighborhoods.

I feel very sorry for women and children who have to live in dangerous areas.

One of the Fox Business network journalists, Charles Payne, a black man, has related how his early years were spent with his mother and father, a military man, living in different parts of the country and in Europe.  He had a wonderful time.   Then his parents divorced and his mother moved her kids to an poor urban area.  He was harassed and even beaten up because he didn't talk black and because he tried to get good grades.  I'm very glad that he persevered to become a successful and happy man.

1. kerryg profile image84

Just unprofitable areas, I think. Ironically enough, food deserts are also a major problem in a lot of rural areas, which don't tend to have much crime. (Other than meth, anyway.) You'd be amazed by the number of farmers who can't grow a tomato to save their lives...

People make what they want of life.   

I know too many people who have come out of difficult childhoods and become healthy, prosperous, intelligent, giving, successful people to believe otherwise.

Conversely I know many people I grew up with who came from very fine families and have used all their opportunities to send themselves straight to hell the hard way.

No government or any other entity can help people who want to fail.

Drug and alcohol use probably has more to do with child poverty, neglect, and poor diet than we know.

4. Dolores Monet profile image93
    Dolores Monetposted 13 years ago

I find it odd that people want to keep the government out of school lunches. Isn't it the government that runs the schools? And as far as the food choices that children make - adults should make food choices for kids. I chose what food was on hand for my children to eat. Schools exist to educate children. Why exempt the cafeteria from the educational process?

Up until the Great Society took hold in the 1960's school lunches were a local issue.  Personally I had wonderful school lunches when I was a child prepared by a Hungarian grandmother who was just awesome.  I believe the schools got government "commodities" like cheese and butter.  Not sure what else.  But the preparation and menus were strictly local.

When I was in high school things changed.  Powdered egg omelets filled with cheese product, oatmeal hamburgers, mystery tacos, rubber pizza . . .  blecchhh.

The school kitchens went Commie. big_smile

As far as the government running the schools, that is the real problem.  The federal government should not run the schools and the unions shouldn't be able to buy the federal government.  The schools no longer exist to educate children.   They exist as a giant trough for unions to suck off of.

Schools used to be LOCAL.

5. Dolores Monet profile image93
    Dolores Monetposted 13 years ago

Preparation may have been local but the government paid for it. I don't think the nice Hungarian grandmother did it for free. And even if was local, local government is still government.

I remember when President Reagan decreed that katsup was a vegetable.

Local government is not federal government.

I remember when Bill Clinton got a bj in the oval office.

6. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Finally, something we agree on.

I don't suppose there's one of us who hasn't seen this with out own eyes.

7. Iontach profile image68
    Iontachposted 13 years ago

I think healthy school lunches are a great idea! I know if I was still in school I'd deffo rather healthy lunches than fatty/unhealthy ones...They brought healthy lunches in the school I went to and the students are happy with that.

8. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Yes, I agree. Given the prevalence of chemical dependency I think it would be difficult to find someone who has NOT seen it firsthand.
    You don't have to be monetarily poor to suffer the effects of parental neglect.

9. AnnCee profile image66

My husband and I had lunch at an elementary school recently.  Pretty sad experience.  Kids get a choice of the main menu item or a sandwich or a container of fruit yoghurt.  I think twice a week they can choose chocolate milk.  Many children choose fruit yoghurt.

The main menu item that day was salty ham, phony potatoes au gratin, gray green beans, and really good fresh apple crisp that none of the kids at our table would touch until we encouraged them.

Nobody tells the kids to eat and they mostly don't.

The main problem we saw though was that they have very little time to eat.  The last ones in line barely sit down before the bell rings and the next group starts coming through.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)