jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)

Are green tomato's inedible un-rippened fruit or an altogether different variety

1. Joe Cook profile image58
    Joe Cookposted 5 years ago

Are green tomato's inedible un-rippened fruit or an altogether different variety of tomato?

2. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 5 years ago

They are unrippened fruit, they ain't inedible, use them for
    making chutney, or use them in other forms of cooking.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image96
      DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

They are edible, as in not harmful, but they sure don't taste very good raw off the vine.  That's why they are used in cooking, which both softens them and transforms the flavor.

3. lainelongfellow profile image60
    lainelongfellowposted 5 years ago

They are unripe fruit.  You can slice, bread and fry them to make friend green tomatoes.  Tomatillos are edible but look like a little green tomato in a husk.

4. Insane Mundane profile image59
    Insane Mundaneposted 5 years ago

Fried Green Tomatoes are really tasty...  I like to bread & fry the ones that are just starting to change their color, the best, but the plain green ones work well.  This year, I favored the Green Roma Tomatoes for doing such things, and even wrote a Hub about it a while back; check it out...  http://insanemundane.hubpages.com/hub/F … a-Tomatoes

5. mvillecat profile image79
    mvillecatposted 5 years ago

They are wonderful fried with red sweet tomato relish. You can also use them in chutney. Great stuff!

6. Luxor profile image71
    Luxorposted 5 years ago

They're regular old tomatoes that haven't ripened and turned red yet. However, they're very much edible; fried green tomatoes is a very popular dish.

Unripened, green tomatoes are not to be confused with tomatillos which look similar but are a different fruit altogether.

7. backporchstories profile image80
    backporchstoriesposted 5 years ago

Ahhh....the wonderful green tomato!  Though there are tomatios, which are green and used in lot of Spanish and Italian dishes, it is the regular red tomato before it ripens that is the delicious green tomato.  Not only can you use these green tomatoes in chutney and fired with eggs and crackers, but it is awesome mixed with apples in an apple pie.  They taste sweet and fruity and are certainly edible!

8. profile image72
    ElleBeeposted 5 years ago

Depends.  There are varieties of tomatoes which can (or should) be eaten green, and varieties in which green would simply indicate not yet ripe.  At least that's what I've always thought. Doesn't mean I'm right!

9. Patty Inglish, MS profile image92
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 4 years ago

Ohio is a tomato state, but so are others - like California. We love red tomatoes, even rich black types, but enjoy green ones while thinking they are less healthy than their ripe siblings.  Not so! read more