jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Have you thrown out all your vegetable oils and started using olive and coconut

1. visionandfocus profile image73
    visionandfocusposted 5 years ago

Have you thrown out all your vegetable oils and started using olive and coconut oil instead?

2. pmccray profile image76
    pmccrayposted 5 years ago

No . . and at our age my husband and I should.  We're from the old school "fried, died and laid to the side".  All the while knowing the side effects of "comfort food".  I'm slowly trying to change our diet, but it ain't easy with a live in chef from the midwest, who knows how to cook and loves to eat.

3. Goody5 profile image71
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

No, I can't bring myself to part with my vegetable oil.

4. Mom Kat profile image79
    Mom Katposted 5 years ago

No.  I use olive oil for specific things, never coconut though.
    We still like to deep fry our fish & other stuff in good ole' fashion vegetable oil.

5. Faceless39 profile image94
    Faceless39posted 5 years ago

Coconut oil is pure saturated fat.

I do use olive oil, but it's not good for cooking at high temps.

6. Dr Pran Rangan profile image87
    Dr Pran Ranganposted 5 years ago

My family uses mainly oils containing polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats in cooking. We also use some olive oil in sauteing few cooking recipes. We don't use coconut oil since it is not a preferred cooking medium in North India. It is mainly used in South Indian States. My family members haven't developed a taste for coconut oil cooking. Now the coconut oil has come into limelight since the studies have proved that it is not harmful as it contains medium chain saturated fats which are considered safe for health. Therefore, the consumption of coconut oil as a cooking medium has increased.

1. visionandfocus profile image73
      visionandfocusposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I love the taste of virgin organic coconut oil and use it in smoothies, but for cooking, we use the version where the manufacturer takes out the coconut taste, so it's neutral and would not influence the taste of your dishes. Thanks for your comment

7. Daniella Lopez profile image91
    Daniella Lopezposted 5 years ago

I use coconut oil and grape seed oil. I use to cook with olive oil, but I discovered that grape seed oil was very similar to olive oil but without the strong olive taste. Coconut oil is amazing for cooking, but I primarily use it to make deodorants, make up, and as a lotion.