How do you cook a steak properly?

1. PHILLYDREAMER profile image83
    PHILLYDREAMERposted 5 years ago

How do you cook a steak properly?

I've been trying to perfect my steak skills, but my steaks keep coming out really tough to chew.  Can anybody give me a good way to cook a steak to perfection.  I also would like to know how to cook a thicker steak without it being raw in the middle.

2. vespawoolf profile image97
    vespawoolfposted 5 years ago

I salt my steaks really well with kosher salt and leave them on my countertop for 30-60 minutes before cooking. It draws moisture from the meat and helps tenderize. Heat a cast iron skillet until very hot (in a 400F oven about 20 minutes) Then put it on a burner on high heat.
    Pat the steaks dry with a paper towel, rub with olive oil and sprinkle with freshly ground pepper. Sear the steaks on both sides, 2 minutes per side. Now place a pat of butter on top of each steak and slide the skillet into the oven to finish them, just a few minutes.
    You'll need an instant-read meat thermometer to check for doneness. For a medium steak you'll need to read an internal temperature of 145 F. It will rise a further 5 degrees after being removed from the oven. Transfer them to a cutting board, cover with foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes. You'll have one of the best steaks you've ever tasted!

working