jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)

What is the best Steak to cook?

1. milleramanda53 profile image80
    milleramanda53posted 5 years ago

What is the best Steak to cook?

2. Insane Mundane profile image61
    Insane Mundaneposted 5 years ago

Personally, I think a good ol' Rib-Eye steak is hard to beat!  Of course, if you know how to marinate 'em just right and cook them to the point of perfection, you can still have some great tasting steak from the cheaper cuts.

3. executivecatering profile image81
    executivecateringposted 5 years ago

I personally love fillet steak but it's extremely expensive!
    It's very good medium to well, with a mushroom sauce, chips, peas and onion rings heaven ...yum

4. moonfairy profile image83
    moonfairyposted 5 years ago

I adore rib eye steaks and my husband loves strip steaks. both so tasty smile

5. bankscottage profile image96
    bankscottageposted 5 years ago

Porterhouse is the best steak to eat so I guess it would be the best steak to cook.

1. bankscottage profile image96
      bankscottageposted 5 years agoin reply to this

We have been assuming we are talking about beef.  Buffalo and Elk steaks are lower in fat and can be great if cooked properly.

6. Attikos profile image80
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

Unless the beef's no good, there's no such thing as a bad steak. All the usual cuts are delicious. It's a matter of handling. You don't treat a shank as you do a rib eye, for example, but properly done both are great.

7. alancaster149 profile image85
    alancaster149posted 5 years ago

How does the idea of 'minute steaks' grab you? Usually there's little or no fat on them, and once tenderised they take literally minutes to do and you can do them last, whilst the potatoes and other veg simmer away in pans with their lids kept slightly open by wooden spoons. Mushrooms can be added to the frying pan/grill pan whilst the steak browns, soaking up the meat juices. A last-minute addition can be half tomatoes ("we say potaytoes, you say potartoes, let's call the whole thing off!").
    All I can say now is "enjoy").

1. Insane Mundane profile image61
      Insane Mundaneposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I was feeling cheap today and actually had "minute steaks" with potatoes, mushrooms and onions a few minutes ago.  Minute Steak/Cube Steak or whatever you call it, is decent but if I got the money and time, I'm still going with Rib-Eye steaks...  wink

2. alancaster149 profile image85
      alancaster149posted 5 years agoin reply to this

You need a mortgage to buy Rib-Eye steaks here.

8. etower036 profile image60
    etower036posted 5 years ago

I really enjoy Rib eye. start with sprinkling salt and pepper, then a rub of 2 tbsp olive oil, let sit for 5 minutes.  heat a cast iron skillet to med high, put in 1 tbsp butter let melt. Add steak, cook on one side (do not touch.) for 3 minutes. Then flip and cook another 3 minutes  For medium rare 4 minutes each side for medium, and 5 minutes each side for well. (but trust me you will want it either medium rare or medium with a bit of red in the middle.)  Take steak out of pan and place on plate and let rest for 5 minutes or so. (if you want cover with another plate or tin foil, your steak will continue to cook because of residual heat.)

The sauce...
    Put in 1 tbsp butter in the still hot pan, add a bit of chopped garlic,  a handfull of chopped onions. Saute this till onions are slightly brown (caramelized) Add 1/2 cup red wine (any will do) cook 10 minutes letting it reduce. add 1/3 cup cream, and (yes you got it) 1 tsp butter.stir and continue cooking till thickend and a bit brown. Serve over the steak with a nice side of butter and herb new potatoes  or herb garlic rice a roni.

1. bankscottage profile image96
      bankscottageposted 5 years agoin reply to this

This sounds great.  You should make it a recipe Hub.

2. etower036 profile image60
      etower036posted 5 years agoin reply to this

just made a hub for this and other steak ideas cant promote, but see my hub. if thats promoting sorry...

working