jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

What is the most exotic food you have ever tried/tasted and would you eat it aga

1. lovebuglena profile image88
    lovebuglenaposted 5 years ago

What is the most exotic food you have ever tried/tasted and would you eat it again?

2. ithabise profile image84
    ithabiseposted 5 years ago

Natto. In Japan. Now anyone who knows what natto is just had some type of reaction! Either you enjoy it (probably being a native or Asian foodlover) or swear to never eat it again. I imagine the same of durian, balut, or bird's nest soup. It's just one of those things that has to be tasted.

3. DreamerMeg profile image91
    DreamerMegposted 5 years ago

caviar. Tasted it for the first time a few months ago and would not be sad if I never tasted it ever again.

Maybe one person's exotic food is another person's staple basic. Many years ago, I saw a food in a butcher's shop that I had never seen before - a thin piece of meat labelled "elder". The butcher gave me a piece to try but i didn't like it. he said that the old people round there all liked it and bought it, as it was an old food they had been brought up on in the hard times (probably the depression). It was meat from the cow's udder! Have never seen it since.

1. lovebuglena profile image88
      lovebuglenaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I love caviar especially black. But maybe that's because I am from Belarus.

4. backporchstories profile image80
    backporchstoriesposted 5 years ago

I was deep in the mountains of Mexico were coffee beans and plantain grow wild!  Picked ripe off the vine I was given some passion fruit.  It was the most wonderful tasting fruit I have every experienced!

5. DrMark1961 profile image100
    DrMark1961posted 5 years ago

I laughed when I looked at this question since some things that are considered exotic are so normal. backporchstories commented on passion fruit, and yet this is a crop I grow in my garden.
    A food I considered most exotic is normal in the High Atlas Mountains of Morocco. "Tarouat" is a dish of cold wet flour. A depression is made in the center of the flour and it is filled with "smin", which is rancid liquid butter. I was working in a village one Sunday and the mayor, surprised that I had showed up, invited me back to his house for breakfast. My stomach lurched when they brought out a large plate of tarouat, and he also served "lbin" (warm and usually rancid buttermilk) to mix it with. They use their fingers to mix the foods.
    Would I eat it again? In the culture in which I lived not eating is incredibly rude, but I would do my best to avoid this food. I wonder if i could claim illness?

working