jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

If you cook your stuffing in the turkey, what are your strategies for keeping it

1. Xenonlit profile image60
    Xenonlitposted 5 years ago

If you cook your stuffing in the turkey, what are your strategies for keeping it safe?

There is a great difference between cooking stuffing in the bird and baking it separately. The flavors and juices from the turkey or chicken add extra flavor and the spices and herbs from the stuffing flavors the meat. It is best to know the strategies for keeping this a safe process.

2. pippap profile image84
    pippapposted 5 years ago

There are only two safety precautions that I take; and, I haven't killed anyone yet or even given anyone food poisoning for that matter.

I cook the turkey for a longer period of time to ensure that all the turkey and stuffing are cooked thoroughly.  As a precaution against drying out the bird, I cook in breast side down.  The flavour from the stuffing gets into the breast better.  In the latter part of cooking I throw a sheet of aluminum foil over the back of the bird so it doesn't get rubbery.

I also remove the stuffing from the bird immediately and place it in another container.  If any stuffing clings in the cavity after this it does NOT get eaten.  Only the stuffing removed from the cavity and placed it a separate bowl can be eaten.

Works for me!

1. Xenonlit profile image60
      Xenonlitposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad I change the title! We call it "the bird". I came back and checked and that was not working well! ha ha.

3. bethperry profile image91
    bethperryposted 5 years ago

I put the stuffing into the turkey when the bird is about 25 minutes due to come out of the oven. I know people who worry terribly about "contamination" from the meat, but I see it like this: the reason poultry is cooked thoroughly is for the heat to kill any and all possible bad microorganisms from entering your digestive tract. The same heat of your oven that kills these microorganisms don't cherry-pick - it will kill these things on and in whatever is inside the oven. So as long as the bird is cooked thoroughly, without any pink left, there is nothing left thriving from it to contaminate the stuffing. And like you pointed out, the flavors and juices make the stuffing so much tastier smile

4. profile image48
    lovakaykayposted 5 years ago

put an apple over the whole so nothing falls out. make sure its the right size

5. lifetips123 profile image61
    lifetips123posted 5 years ago

The important things that we should keep in our mind while think of stuffing cooked  inside Turkey (bird).
    1.  After preparing the Stuffing,immediately stuff it into the bird before placing the bird inside the oven.
    2.  The wet and dry ingredients in the stuffing should be refrigerated separately and mixed before stuffing the bird if the the preparation of stuffing goes over time.
    3.  The stuffing the bird should be made loosely about 3/4 cup per pound of turkey.
    4.  The destruction of bacteria occurs faster while we heat it in a wet environment. 
    5.  Cooking of the stuffed bird should be done in a minimum 325 degree oven.
    6.  A meat thermometer can be used to assess the final measurement and also the stuffing should come up to 165 degrees.

6. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

I tried a different approach that worked very well this year. I don't like a dry turkey, so I don't want to cook it longer. Instead, we mixed the stuffing and pre-heated it in a pot on the stove. Then we put hot stuffing into the bird with a large spoon. That way, the stuffing helped cook the bird from the inside out, and both stuffing and meat were safe.

It was the tenderest turkey I've ever made.

We also baked some stuffing on the side.

LIfetips suggestions seem excellent also.