jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Would you want the US government to stop fluoridation of tap water?

1. Wasteless Project profile image90
    Wasteless Projectposted 4 years ago

Would you want the US government to stop fluoridation of tap water?

2. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 4 years ago

To the best of my knowledge, the U.S. does not add fluoridation to tap water. That is done at the community level. In my city, the water company, is a private own entity, that its its water from artisan wells, estimated to be more than 2,000 years old. I know in the city where I was a newpspaper reporter, the water system was owned by the city and no fluoride was added to it. Again, I think that decision rests at the local level, since it is local governments or private entities that provide water, while some people still have their own wells.

If the U.S. did add fluoride to water, I would want them to stop. Fluoride makes me ill. I reject fluoride treatments from my dentist. Mass medication is usually not the best choice. Also, since everyone drinks a different amount of water, there is no way of controlling the dosage.

1. Wasteless Project profile image90
      Wasteless Projectposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Larry, according to this site (http://www.fluoridealert.org/faq) 70% of tap water is fluoridated in the States and more of it is consumed in the U.S.A alone than all other countries in the world combined...

2. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I was not clear in my statement.. It is the U.S. Government that does not demand water be fluoridated.. That is a decision left up to local communities. Obviously many in the U.S. have fluoridated tap water, but it was not mandated by the fed. gov"t

working