Is it better to watch what you eat or watch how much you eat?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Aupriann Myers profile image61
    Aupriann Myersposted 10 years ago

Is it better to watch what you eat or watch how much you eat?

2. EJ Lambert profile image71
    EJ Lambertposted 10 years ago

I can speak from personal experience.  I weighed 390 pounds at my peak and have gotten it down to 220.  I would say first and foremost is how much you eat.  Quantity of food always hurts you more than type of food.  That said, if a person feels they don't have the self control to curb the amount they eat, then shifting to foods that are low in calories can definitely help.  It all comes down to the person trying to lose the weight.  In the end, moderation always helps.

1. Aupriann Myers profile image61
      Aupriann Myersposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow congratulations! I am still trying to loose the 60 pounds of pregnancy weight. Would you then say its different for every body type?

2. EJ Lambert profile image71
      EJ Lambertposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely.  Everybody loses weight differently.  For me, it took a massive change in dieting regimen and an increase in my physical activity.  My best recommendation is once you curve your food intake, add a good walk to your day.

3. duffsmom profile image59
      duffsmomposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations EJ Lambert!  That is fantastic. I need to do the same and am working on it now.

4. EJ Lambert profile image71
      EJ Lambertposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, duffs.  One thing I always try to remind myself is time is on my side.  The longer I attack that weight, the more likely it is to give up and start dropping.  Football players call it the "Pound the Rock" approach.

3. Souther29 profile image81
    Souther29posted 10 years ago

Honestly I think both are important. Sadly in the UK there isn't nearly enough education on nutrition in schools which is why we have a growing obesity problem due to lack of knowledge and understanding mixed with misinformation in some media channels.

Portion control is important as well as eating slower. You find many people rush through the food (especially if they are busy) which doesn't give your body time to realise that it's actually full... so you eat more!

Some tips that have worked for me (and it is different for different body types) are cutting down sugar and minimising my carb intake. You get a lot of energy from protein which many people don't realise and associate carbs with 'fuel' so think they need lots of them to function. They can make you bloated and often can be starchy. It causes your insulin to spike then drop which is why sometimes after a heavy carb meal you will feel tired or a lack of energy or sluggish(big bowl of pasta etc).

Honestly if you stick to lean meats (turkey, chicken (skinless, steak) and have veg with lunch and dinner it will just drop off. Fish is great too like salmon, pollock, kippers. You can then have the odd treat here and there as well.

Exercise (short periods of good intensity) is also important if you want to speed the weight loss but it's 80% diet/ 20% exercise. You'll start to feel genuionelly amazing as your insulin levels will be fine, no hunger pangs and hormones balanced as well as bags of energy:-)

Also a golden rule... anything that says 'low fat' or '100% fat free' is generally replaced by tons of sugar so still not good! Go for good fats in olive oil, nuts, oily fish.

I did a hub on High Intensity Interval Training if you wanted some exercise tips too:-) Just need your body for it and no crazy equipment. Hope it helps... could go on for ages about this!

4. ChristinS profile image41
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

Both, you can't eat a small amount of calories that are all junk food and expect to be healthy.  On the other side, you can eat way too much with healthy foods also. If you eat too many calories, regardless of what they are, you will gain weight.

You have to find a good balance for health.  As a general rule if you eat unprocessed wholesome foods (fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, etc) and don't eat packaged foods, junk foods, fast food etc.  and you exercise moderately and stay active you should be fine.

I lost 60 pounds previously and I did it by eliminating simple sugars and white flour, eating more whole, nutritious foods and moving my body every day.  I also used the calorie count website (it's free) to track my calories and learn true portion control.

5. Marie Flint profile image73
    Marie Flintposted 10 years ago

I vote for WHAT over HOW MUCH. The greasy fats and high sugar content is what's killing our people in the United States. Eliminate these and eat to your heart's content!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)