Do you want to know why our Nation is so obese?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Handicapped Chef profile image68
    Handicapped Chefposted 10 years ago

Do you want to know why our Nation is so obese?

Do you want to know why our Nation is so obese? Probably because burgers are $.99 and salads are $7.99. What's your thoughts

2. dorothy0328 profile image76
    dorothy0328posted 10 years ago

I agree all though I do notice that McDonalds and Burger King are attempting to now bring a little bit of health to their menu's by using ground turkey and even (not that turkey is going to make up for the grease from the fries one will scarf down). But I have always noticed that salads can cost more then a large meal I often thought that it may be contributed to the general idea of people eating a salad are on a diet and people on a diet spend more money on diet food and so therefore they charge an arm and a leg for a small garden salad figuring they will spend it I guess. It's not because of the high cost of lettuce and tomato they already buy and use on their burgers that make then so expensive it's the resteraunt.

Handicapped Chefposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's true just a little bit because they offer a lot of items that are not healthy and they really promote them more ....They are now coming out with a mega fry that's going to cost $5.99 and they are not healthy but are really good.

2. dorothy0328 profile image76
      dorothy0328posted 10 years agoin reply to this

wow I thought they had big issues over the super size fries some yrs ago and they had done away with them over contravesrsy am I wrong on that? But for $5.99 I can buy a giant bag of fries and make them myself if I wanted too lol but im not

3. maddot profile image65
    maddotposted 10 years ago

In Australia i feel there is an obsession with food eg cooking shows on every tv channel followed by The Biggest Loser or some show where diets and exercise are being pushed.
    Re/ junk food - I have read where certain ingredients like corn syrup are added and that these additives actually switch off part of the brain that tells us when we are full.
    Twenty years ago we didn't have the weight  problems we do now and we used to horrified by what we saw happeing in the USA regarding weight...but now I think we've caught up!

Capitalization and Greed... Capitalize off need because of greed... It use to be salads ..99 now and hamburgers... 7.99 this country promotes healthy so they can get rich not for the health of the people...Exactly why this nation is under attack, bec

4. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 10 years ago

That is true. But to be honest, although not particularly "PC," fatty foods taste good.  Sugar tastes good - combine the two and you have quite an addictive "cocktail" of excess calories.

I have a two grand children in the same family.  Both are as different as night and day and my daughter does not feed them crap. They eat well, very little if any sugar, no candy, no junk food but on rare occasions a Happy Meal--once every couple of months.  Yet, the oldest loves her veggies, and good healthy choices. The youngest craves sugar and will hide it, ask for it on a regular basis. They are both slender kids but I can see the youngest one may be headed for trouble as she gets older and can make her own choices.

I was a very skinny kid who craved sugar and carbohydrates constantly. Once I was an adult and could make my own choices--well needless to say I made the wrong choices.

So in most cases I believe our environment is responsible for our national obesity. But, I also think in some cases it is more than that - it may be an innate craving as in the case of my 6 year old granddaughter. Her body wants sugar, despite not being raised with it.  It is a very complex issue.

Good question.

Fatty foods really do taste good but they really go a little over board to promote then with little or no promoting oh a healthier tem on the menu.

5. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7317857_f260.jpg

Lack of excersise - Too much tv and video - Not enough walking ,playing outside - bike riding. Here in Europe we are seeing so many people out on their bikes together .As kids we all walked to school everyday even in the rain . Now hardly any seem to walk anywhere which is sad.
    You can buy salad ingredients cheaper if you shop at markets near the end of the day often .

Your so right exercise is one of the ways to help fight this problem I know from a personal experience that's it is hard but it can be done.

6. Amber Vyn profile image60
    Amber Vynposted 10 years ago

There is no evidence that our nation is 'so obese'. Yes, the average American has gained 8-12 pounds, depending on the study.

We're also older. Does it surprise anyone that a nation in its mid-30s is 10 pounds heavier than a nation in its late 20s?

Sorry, but the reason that you perceive our nation as 'so obese' is because there's a 60 billion dollar industry that has no scientific basis but needs to keep itself alive.

Shamefully, it does that by lying and stigmatizing people. You've bought a bunch of bologna.

Amber are you serious let me say this. Overweight is generally defined as having more body fat than is optimally healthy. Being overweight is a common condition, especially where food supplies are plentiful and lifestyles are sedentary.

Excess weigh

7. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 10 years ago

I already have my assumptions and yes prices are part of it. But also I can't stand salads but remain pretty healthy. Fast food is part of the problem because there are almost no healthy choices. Easy to cook at home is pasta which has plenty of calories and makes those jeans a ton tighter. Not too many people take advantage of To-Go menu's by restaurants. I just tried Chili's online ordering menu and loved it! Better foods than at a McDonalds with just the same time to pick up. We just need more healthy options and knowledge about those options for EVERYONE. Not just those who can afford it.

1. misguyana profile image62
      misguyanaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is sad that we our selves cannot control what and how we eat. We let the people who are peddling their goods do it for us.

2. Handicapped Chef profile image68

I think we o have a choice of what we put in our bodies we don't hav to go to fast food restaurants you can eat healthy you can cook at home there is so much but the choice has to be yours and we also have to make that hard choice for you children to

3. lburmaster profile image73
      lburmasterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you have the time and funds to cook at home, then you can easily remain healthy. For the others close to minimum wage, holding two jobs, and going to college; they usually don't have a choice.

4. Handicapped Chef profile image68

lburmaster I know that it is cheaper to buy groceries than go buy food that's already cook plus you can shop more healthier because you know what your buying and know what's going in your food,

5. lburmaster profile image73

Then the people I know have no idea what products you're talking about.

6. Handicapped Chef profile image68

iburmaster come on you can go to the super market and get head of lettuce a tomato a cucumber and a red onion and have a nice salad for under $5.00 and that can feed four people but you go to a restaurant get a salad for $7.99 can't you see that.

7. lburmaster profile image73

I'm not a rabbit and hate salads. Hamburgers, tomatoes, milk, cheese; none of those enter my mouth. It's difficult finding good foods being picky.

8. Handicapped Chef profile image68

Ok so what about fresh fruits, poultry, pork, even fish these items are very reasonable and they go along way but believe this if your eating a fast food places those item have milk products in them there are plenty of other things that you can eat.

9. lburmaster profile image73

You have time to cook fish?! That's once a week on the weekends after cleaning the house. Fresh produce rots before I am able to do anything with it. I at least get two good pieces out of what I buy. Pork, bacon twice a week.

10. Handicapped Chef profile image68

You can preplan your meals I'm a very busy person and I find the time to shop run my business and cook for my family you have to make it a point to eat what you buy if you buy fruit eat a piece every day you can broil a piece of fish in 10 minutes

11. lburmaster profile image73

Heat it up later? That wouldn't taste as good. Ordering from Chili's is easier and taste much better. If you order for everyone at work, they might even give you a little bonus for picking up the meal. Just an appetizer should do. Cooking is a hastle

12. Handicapped Chef profile image68

All I can say when you get older you will see what I'm say until then continue enjoying your fast food and I enjoyed your conversation.

13. lburmaster profile image73

My husband understands your view, but I don't stay at home and cook. Have a great week.

14. Handicapped Chef profile image68

I like your husband great minds think alike......Enjoy your week also.

8. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 10 years ago

Handicapped Chef......Well...there you go.....you've already given ONE huge reason, within your question.
    People should STOP buying burgers and salads OUT.....and stay home to prepare something healthy, with the ingredients of your choice, cooked in a healthy way.....and eat in the relaxed, comfort of your own home.....for a fraction of the price, grease, fat, sugar, salt, preservatives,  etc etc!!
    Americans are fat because of :   eating too much, too often, too quickly......of the wrong foods, cooked the wrong way, for the wrong reasons............activity levels are nearly non-existent, we've become lazy and complacent, and we ignore health warnings until they have knocked us on our butt......and then we look for Drs and pills to undo the damage.   Obesity is a killer.  What's crazy is......it is avoidable!!

Obesity is the root cause of most of the diseases like cardiac problems, diabetes, orthopedic disorders, hormonal imbalances and cancer. Medical-Recipe.com has launched a campaign to make people aware of BMI. All websites can link to their BMI calcul

9. Grace-Wolf-30 profile image62
    Grace-Wolf-30posted 10 years ago

I have studied this, and I am a little bit of a conspiracy theorist. As well as a gross price difference, you tend to find areas of depravity have less access to expensive healthy foods but limitless access to cheap junk foods. I believe it is all part of the governments (whichever country you're in) plan to keep people in their place. The poverty divide suits somebody very powerful!

Grace your so correct you have me speechless.

10. calmclinic profile image61
    calmclinicposted 10 years ago

Precisely Handicapped Chef! Junk food is cheaper plus is easy and quick to prepare.

calmclinic so true but fast food is not really cheap unless you going to get a extra value meal.

11. selinath1 profile image58
    selinath1posted 10 years ago

I feel that one of the reasons kids are obese is because they are either on there computer,cell phone or playing video games.  Back in the early 1950's when I was a kid, I got up on weekends and went outside to play.  Came home for lunch and then went back outside again.  I'm talking running,climbing trees, riding your bike non stop for the whole day.  There were no where near as many obese kids 50 years ago as there are now because we played, which, by the way, is another word for exercise!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)