jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

What do you pack in your basket for a picnic?

1. lisasuniquevoice profile image75
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 4 years ago

What do you pack in your basket for a picnic?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8052963_f260.jpg

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image97
    DzyMsLizzyposted 4 years ago

Ah--picnics!  For me, they have been ruined.  The picnics of my youth were fun, and filled with things we did not get on an every day basis; treats such as Fig Newton cookies were obligatory--it just wasn't a picnic without them.
    We'd have egg salad sandwiches, sometimes my mother would fix herself a sandwich she liked of Cheez Whiz and Kipper Snacks  (kind of like sardines)...yuck--I never liked that...
    But there was chocolate milk in the thermos bottle...those were the days.

Now, if we go somewhere and take a "picnic," it is out of necessity, and features the same old day-to-day stuff we always eat;  we are packing the lunch only because we cannot afford to eat out wherever we are going.  It just isn't the same, so picnics no longer appeal to me.

lisasuniquevoiceposted 4 years agoin reply to this

DzyMsLizzy,
      Sounds like if you make sure there's chocolate milk in the thermos you'd have a good time getting outside for a picnic.
      Lisa

3. profile image0
    bri36posted 4 years ago

Well I wouldn't be so glum about it first. Next Most people would be happy to go on a picnic with some kind of salad and cheese maybe a few pbj sandwiches and some coffee in a thermos bottle. Me I would like to take anti-pasta, some chili and corn bread, Philly cheese steak and a few beers would be great. How about a basket full of chicken wings and the leftover pizza from last night? Maybe a couple of sub-sandwiches and mac-n-cheese. Any of these would make a great picnic basket boo-boo")

bri36,
      I'll take the chili and corn bread, or the subs. If I had all that stuff in my basket I'd never be hungry again.
      Boo-boo

4. moonfairy profile image81
    moonfairyposted 4 years ago

I love to nibble instead of packing a meal so I usually bring things like wine, cheese, crackers, genoa salami, ham and grapes. Sometimes we bring salza and chips, hummus and tabouli salad. Sometimes it's cold chicken wings, pasta salad, macaroni salad, potato salad, cole slaw, bean salad....it really depends on our mood and any good leftovers we might have in the fridge!

moonfairy,
      I'd like to be Yogi Bear in your picnic area. Everything you mentioned sounds so good.
      Thanks,
      Lisa

5. Kristen Howe profile image87
    Kristen Howeposted 2 years ago

Good question. It would be drinks like soda or water with ice. I would pack it with a selections of salads and sandwiches and a snack like fruit, granola bars, and a healthy cookie or brownie for my sweet tooth.

lisasuniquevoiceposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Kristen,
      You must use a cooler instead of the basket since you bring ice. I do like the idea of bringing lots of salads.
      Thanks,
      Lisa

working