jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

What are your favorite picnic foods that must grace the table on every picnic?

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image96
    Phyllis Doyleposted 3 years ago

What are your favorite picnic foods that must grace the table on every picnic?

Picnic time is coming up fast for the area I live in. Fried chicken and potato salad are my favorites. Do you have a special recipe to share in a hub about your favorite picnic foods? Also, what about food safety when on a picnic? Do you have some good tips on this?

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

I like deviled eggs and stuffed peppers, but not the cooked kind of stuffed peppers. My mom is one of the few people I know who make cold stuffed peppers. The stuffing consists of bread, onions, diced tomatoes, and a little salt all help together with melted butter. You can add other stuff into the mix if you like. Then clean out a green pepper (or whatever kind you like), stuff the mixture in, and cut the pepper into quarters. Serve cold.

Phyllis Doyleposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Oh my gosh those peppers sound good, Sheila. And I LOVE deviled eggs. Thanks for participating.

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image96
    DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago

Well, we really don't go on picnics anymore; we don't go much of anywhere. 
    When I was a kid, we used to do that, and two foods in particular that were "de rigeur" were Fig Newtons and hard-boiled eggs. ;-)  It just wasn't a picnic without those items.

When I had kids of my own, we were on a reduced income from that on which I was raised.  (Not to say my family was wealthy; we were not.)
    However, my ex ruined the idea of picnics for me.  We would take a picnic lunch only because we could not afford to eat out, and we would take only our "normal, every day" type lunch...and no extras.  It was not a special occasion, picnic just to go somewhere and have a picnic, but more, "We're going to such-and-such a place to accomplish such-and-such a thing, but we can't afford to eat unless we bring our own food."

I stopped enjoying picnics at that point.

I love Fig Newtons. We always had a package of them tucked away somewhere in the picnic bags. Thanks, MsLizzy.

4. MizBejabbers profile image91
    MizBejabbersposted 3 years ago

Our family has diminished to the point that we don't go on picnics anymore. Now Mr. B and I usually just make some tuna salad sandwiches and grab a bag of potato chips when we go on an outing. Sometimes we'll pack a container of potato salad in our cooler. Our family get togethers usually consist of backyard cookouts, and that's a different menu.

Tuna salad sandwiches are so good. Makes me hungry thinking about that. Thanks Miz B.

5. jaydawg808 profile image89
    jaydawg808posted 3 years ago

If it's a picnic, usually sandwiches and chips would be the best. If there's a grill available, then hotdogs and burgers is the standard.

Sandwiches are always good, anytime.I love grilled hot dogs and burgers with cheese and sliced onion. Thanks, Jaydawg

6. Phyllis Doyle profile image96
    Phyllis Doyleposted 3 years ago

Is there a way to choose all answers as the best? I wish there was, because all these answers are great. Thank you everyone.

Closed to reply

working