jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

How do you cut salt from your diet?

1. wiserworld profile image92
    wiserworldposted 4 years ago

How do you cut salt from your diet?

2. Lady Guinevere profile image61
    Lady Guinevereposted 4 years ago

You don't and should not cut all salt from your diet.  There are many products on the market that are no salt or low salt.  Read the labels.  Just don' add any slat to your food is one good way to reduce salt intake.

3. Cardisa profile image93
    Cardisaposted 4 years ago

I have hypertension and have not completely cut salt from my diet. I am cooking with less salt because I realize most of the foods we buy contain enough sodium. For my meats I use a lot of onions which contains a good portion of sodium. I also season with soy sauce, oyster sauce and so forth to give flavor instead of table salt.

In order to balance my salt intake I eat foods high on potassium to help flush the sodium from my system. Such foods include garlic, cantaloupe, white beans, spinach, lettuce, potatoes,apricots, pumpkins etc.

You must not cut salt completely from your diet; however, you can reduce sodium intake and you must balance your minerals.

I recommend sea salt because it has other benefits as well.

4. CraftytotheCore profile image82
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

There was a period of time where I cut salt out of my diet, and then I had thyroid surgery.  Despite having high blood pressure, my doctor told me not to cut out salt again.  We buy the lite salt.  My grandfather always used the Mrs. Dash no salt products for flavor.  But, from what I'm told, it's better to have at least a little than none at all.

5. Resident Weevil profile image70
    Resident Weevilposted 4 years ago

FYI, there's a ton of sodium in both soy sauce and oyster sauce (492 mg/tbsp in oyster sauce, 920 mg/tbsp in soy sauce).  Using either of those in anything other than the most spare portions if going to put your sodium intake higher than you want.

1. Cardisa profile image93
      Cardisaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

If you are referring to me, I did mention that I replaced the table salt with these sauces as seasoning. I do know how much sodium these sauces contain. I am a certified nutritionist.

6. MomsTreasureChest profile image90
    MomsTreasureChestposted 4 years ago

One way to cut salt from your diet is to use Mrs. Dash Seasonings on your food instead of salt.

Mrs. Dash seasonings come in a variety of flavors, such as garlic & herb.  They provide a lot of flavor without the salt.  You can use Mrs. Dash on meats, poultry, fish, eggs, potatoes and more!

7. K-112 profile image59
    K-112posted 4 years ago

You can cut down your salt intake by cutting chips and snacks with powdered/artificial cheese out of your diet (cheez-its, cheese curls, cheetos, and cheese whiz)
    You should also refrain from canned soups high in sodium and luncheon meats.
    Ramen Noodles and Instant Cup of Noodles are also very high in sodium.