jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)

What can be used in or added to a Pasta Sauce to really give it the 'Wow' factor

1. Pearldiver profile image81
    Pearldiverposted 6 years ago

What can be used in or added to a Pasta Sauce to really give it the 'Wow' factor?

How can you build a truly memorable universal Pasta Sauce?

2. profile image0
    Chasukposted 6 years ago

A "universal" pasta sauce and a pasta sauce with "wow" factor are not necessarily the same product.

I like the pasta sauce in South Korea, where they typically add cayenne pepper.

3. drbillfannin profile image59
    drbillfanninposted 6 years ago

This question can't be answered. The problem is that everyone has their own idea of what tastes good. Plus, what sauce are you starting with? There are hundreds, and they are all different blends. I have my favorite blend of spices that includes crushed garlic, Italian herbs, red pepper, and cayenne. The best thing to do is to experiment until it tastes the way you like.

4. Pearldiver profile image81
    Pearldiverposted 6 years ago

Sorry if you have looked at this question as if the question is in someway flawed! It is not flawed, nor a question that can not be answered.  It has been asked in this manner to ensure that any answers given are well thought out and as being such, are more than likely the very basis of a quality and informative hub or series of hubs!  Think about the writing opportunities within what is actually a very clever and deep question.....  And then write a storm.. Good Luck, I look forward to some great specialized recipes.

5. rdown profile image76
    rdownposted 6 years ago

I always add fresh basil at the end of cooking.  It makes a huge difference.

6. clairemy profile image74
    clairemyposted 6 years ago

A great Pasta sauce is a matter of individual taste. However here is one from the Marches Region of Italy
    Its traditional, delicious and does not use many ingredients. But most important of all everything in it is home produced,

Ingredients are-: I pint of minced tomatoes, wirh basil and garlic
                               1 finely chopped onion
                                2 small peeled carrots
                                2 sticks of celery
                                A good dose of extra virgin olive oil
                                3 slices of pancetta finely chopped
                                Stock to taste.
    Method.   Put all the ingredients into a large pan and bring to the boil then cover with a lid a let simmer for at least 30 mins. so all the flavours infuse.
    Leave to cool and simply reheat when needed.

This is a light and delicious sauce, and is used on a daily basis throughout homes in the Marches.

7. profile image50
    ThePhoomposted 6 years ago

Personally, for tomato base sauce, Oyster sauce is my secret recipe. Not a whole lot to ruined the color and taste but a little to contrast with the acidity (I add in the Oyster sauce first then season with salt later. The saltiness in every Oyster sauce brands are different). Difficult to explain the end result but it has never fail me or anyone I've cook for... and they can never guess what it was...

8. tlcs profile image42
    tlcsposted 6 years ago

I use tabasco, just a few drops or more if your really into the wow factor kick! or alternatively worcester sauce is a good option.

9. Beth100 profile image75
    Beth100posted 6 years ago

Well, PD, there are many sauces that I pair with pasta.  Yes, I could write many recipes hubs.... but I don't have that much time since I'm in the kitchen cooking!  big_smile 

With you, I will share this special one, which can also be used as a warm salad dressing:

1 onion (sweet is the best)
    1/4 c. mayonnaise
    1 tbsp. honey
    salt
    pepper
    1/4 c. cold water
    1/2 c. bacon (cooked until soft, almost crisp, crumbled or cut into small bits)

In a pan, slowly cook the onions.  Allow them to sweat and caramlize.  In a second, warm pan, add the mayonnaise.  As it begins to warm, add the honey.  Allow this mixture to blend.  Add the caramlized onions.  Add the salt and pepper.  Stir often.  Add the cold water.  The mixture will separate.  Bring the mixture up to a simmer.  Allow the water to simmer off but keep stirring. When it is thickened, add the bacon.  Season to your taste.

Mix this with cooked pasta, adding grated cheese such as parmesan cheese.   You can also add this to a spinach salad.

** you may have to tinker with the recipe a bit -- I actually don't measure my ingredients (ever!)  but, the amounts are in the right proportion.  smile

10. rdown profile image76
    rdownposted 6 years ago

A quick week night dinner. read more

11. veggie-mom profile image71
    veggie-momposted 6 years ago

A bit of merlot adds a nice flavor to a red pasta sauce.

12. AboutInvesting profile image60
    AboutInvestingposted 6 years ago

I've always been a fan of melting a little cheese in right before you serve your dish.

working