jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

Have you ever used fritos instead of bread crumbs?

1. CraftytotheCore profile image82
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

Have you ever used fritos instead of bread crumbs?

I just found out some people use pork rinds instead of bread crumbs that cannot eat gluten.  My question is, has anyone used fritos instead of bread crumbs?  I know it's not very healthy sounding, but it's basically just corn product.  I don't have any pork rinds on hand.  What do you think?  I'm making chicken legs.  I thought I'd roll them up in crushed fritos and bake them.   Gross?  Interesting?  Any other suggestion?

2. HeatherH104 profile image82
    HeatherH104posted 4 years ago

Crafty, I think that would work great! I used corn flakes (cereal) as chicken breading before and it was very tasty.
    Let me know how it turns out. I may have to try it too. smile
    Heather

CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I didn't have enough fritos so I went with my usual marinade instead.  But next time I'm going to give it a try!  Thank you Heather!

3. purl3agony profile image97
    purl3agonyposted 4 years ago

I've never tried using Fritos for cooking.  It sounds good, but I wonder if the oil from the Fritos would make the chicken greasy?  They are also more salty than bread crumbs, so I would adjust the salt in your recipe accordingly.

I hope you tell us how your chicken turned out smile

Hi Purl!  I thought the same thing about the grease.   I'm going to try it next time for sure just to see what happens.  Thank you for answering!

4. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

Could be interesting - why not? I know you can use corn flakes in place of bread crumbs and it's actually quite good.  Let us know how it turned out smile

I ran it by my husband too and he suggested those corn tortilla chips also.  Next time I do it, I will definitely try it out.  I discovered I didn't have enough fritos this time.  I have used corn flakes before too.  It was good!  big_smile

5. Faith Reaper profile image84
    Faith Reaperposted 4 years ago

Interesting idea Crafty.  Sounds pretty good to me, because I love Fritos.  I love to put them on top of homemade chili with shredded cheese and scallions too.  Let us know how it turns out if you try it!

6. Rochelle Frank profile image94
    Rochelle Frankposted 4 years ago

I've used corn flakes, too  (much less salt than Fritos) but I guess you could use most any kind of chip (crisp). I have head of people using Cheerios cereal, to make a finer "flour" . I guess if you were looking for gluten free-- any cereal or chip without wheat or rye  or whatever else has gluten, could work. All would have slightly different tastes, but they would work similarly.
    Don't use the cereals with lots of sugar or those colored marshmallows. smile

7. StoneCircle profile image91
    StoneCircleposted 4 years ago

Corn chips and cooking . . .
    Living in New England, I know of people who use them as a coating for fried fish. This keeps the fish from sticking to the pan and also adds a bit of salt.
    I have heard them used crushed up as a casserole topping. Tuna casserole is the most common.
    Add them to a meatloaf with cheese and ketchup. Mmmmmm, better than bread crumbs.
    Anything that you could use Shake and Bake on, you can use corn chips on.
    Just stick some in a sealed bag and roll the rolling pin over them to get them to a breadcrumb like consistency and you will be good to go!

working