jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

What is the best way to freeze cake?

1. thefedorows profile image81
    thefedorowsposted 3 years ago

What is the best way to freeze cake?

The only time I have heard of freezing cake was in saving the top layer of a wedding cake.  We had cake pops at our wedding, so I have never tried to freeze a cake.  I have half a cake left and I don't want it to spoil.  What has worked for you?

2. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 3 years ago

I wrapped ours in aluminum foil then put it into a cardboard box. It worked for me. Of course, at anniversary #5 the kids ate the rest of it sad

thefedorowsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Wow!  You saved your cake for 5 years?!?!

2. bethperry profile image92
      bethperryposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Oh yes. My cousin and his wife had theirs for 18 years, by the time they realized the icing had become just too hardened and gluey looking to keep anymore. I am so glad we kept the bride & groom topping figurines smile

3. markmorgangenius profile image89
    markmorgangeniusposted 3 years ago

Keep the cake in a refrigerator. When you keep the cake in a cool temperature then the bacteria cannot act(due to decreased metabolism in bacteria) thus the cake can be preserved for a much longer time.
    You do not have to freeze the cake in order to preserve it. Just keep the cake in the non freezer compartment of your regular refrigerator. This should keep the cake preserved for at least a week.

Thank you for the tip!

4. The Examiner-1 profile image74
    The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago

Put it into a plastic container for large enough cakes and place it in the freezer.

Okay, so maybe I was making this more complicated than it needed to be!

5. DzyMsLizzy profile image98
    DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago

It rather depends upon the frosting.  Buttercream and cream cheese frostings will do okay when frozen; whipped cream frosting will not.  It will melt and make a mess when thawed.

If you want to freeze the cake to save it for later, freeze it unwrapped on a tray, and wrap after it's frozen.  That way, the frosting won't get glued to the foil or wrapping paper.  You do want to wrap it, so it doesn't get all dried out.
    Then, when you want to eat it, take it from the freezer, and remove the wrapping before allowing it to thaw, again, so the frosting stays on the cake instead of the wrapping.

However, freezing "naked" cakes is easily and often done--even by professional cake decorators, who will often freeze a cake prior to frosting it, as a way to prevent too many crumbs from getting into the icing.  The surface crumbs are then easily brushed away, without causing more of the cake to turn into crumbs.  (Because, think about it:  trying to remove ALL the crumbs from a cake would be about as easy as trying to remove ALL the strings from celery!)

Best wishes!

Wow!  This is very helpful!  I hadn't thought about freezing the cake first, then wrapping it.  Great tip.  Thank you.

working