What to do with squashes, how do I preserve them

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Louis Taylor profile image60
    Louis Taylorposted 13 years ago

Hi,

The squashes are ripe here, and they always get rotten by Christmas because of the humid whetaher here, cannot really store them in a dry place. Anyone has experience in freezing them, or other methods please? I would love to make a bit of pumpkin pie with my home grown veggies at Christmas smile
    Thanks

2. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

I don't have any suggestions about preserving squash myself, but you might be able to find something here:

http://www.pickyourown.org/allaboutcanning.htm

I have to confess I've never eaten squash (despite being a great veggie lover).  But if it's anything like courgettes/zucchini in taste and texture, then you could make squash ratatouille and then freeze it. This would be a great way to use up your tomatoes too if you've got a glut of them.

3. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I have a hub about it.

1. Louis Taylor profile image60
      Louis Taylorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Could you please post a link to it, cannot find it myself sad Thanks!!

1. Granny's House profile image64
        Granny's Houseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would either cut up and freeze or cook and put through a food mill or grate on a grater. Make sure they are freezer bags!

4. h.a.borcich profile image61
    h.a.borcichposted 13 years ago

With squash you can cut them up like pumpkins, boil the pieces, peel the skin off, then put them trhough a colander before freezing in bags or containers. I grow butternut and acorn squash.

1. Ivorwen profile image66
      Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is what my sister does with hers.  Then she has squash ready to serve and use in recipes.

5. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 13 years ago

Here 'bouts we wash 'em.  Slice 'em about an 1/8th inch thick.  Boil for one minute.  Cool.  Place in quart or gallon freezer bag.  Freeze.  Never had any problems with longevity or taste.  Quite simple.

6. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...why not make the pumpkin pie filling and can it?

1. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Now I haven't thought of that.  It would work wouldn't it???

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

sure it would...i used to can all kinds of stuff for the winter...and freeze berries so i have them on  hand to.

7. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

If you have lots of room in your freezer you can just take the seeds out, peel and cut in cubes and freeze in freezer bags, or better yet get a Foodsaver and vacuum seal in freezer bags, it will keep a long, long, time that way.  The vacuum sealing is so great - I can buy bulk food so cheap and freeze it, meat, veggies, everything!  I even make soup and sauces, freeze first and then vac seal in these heavy bags.  If you have lots of garden produce to store, its a wise investment.  You can even make some pies and freeze them too!  now I'm hungry

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...made me hungry too.....dropping by to say 'hi' Mega!

8. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

If you grow your own produce, you definitely need a separate freezer. That way you can store a lot of veggies with  minimum hassle I should say. Why do you need to spend a lot of time canning things(that not very healthy for regular consumption)? You just freeze everything in convenient packages and voila! You need one - you have it. Work once - eat all winter.

9. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 13 years ago

The strategy for squash at my house is to make soup and freeze it.

10. Ben Evans profile image66
    Ben Evansposted 13 years ago

Squash (not just zucchini) makes really good sweet breads.  It can be substituted into a zucchini recipe.  They actually have quite a good taste and can be mixed with carrots and other vegetables like cucumbers for making breads.

They also make very good yeast (non sweet) breads.

1. georgepattenson profile image60
      georgepattensonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dead easy... dice, boil, let cool and freeze.  Most Squashes will last for a year in the freezer.
      George

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)