jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How do you get the cake not to stick to the frosting and come off when you're fr

1. janesix profile image62
    janesixposted 3 years ago

How do you get the cake not to stick to the frosting and come off when you're frosting a cake?

Is there a secret to frosting cakes without making a torn up mess?

2. janshares profile image96
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

I'm not a baker but I remember my mother's methods. Wait for the cake to cool and keep dipping the knife in a cup of water between spreading the frosting. I've tried it and it works. I think it helps the frosting not stick to the knife which pulls up the cake, especially if the frosting is thick.

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

My mom always told me to make sure the cake was cool and the frosting is at room temperature. I've always followed those two rules and never had a mess.

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image96
    DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago

My daughter decorates fancy cakes--she's taken that Wilton decorating class.  Here are her pointers:
    First, be sure the cake is absolutely cooled with no residual warmth.
    Next, brush off any loose crumbs.
    Then, thin part of the icing, and frost the cake with a thin layer of this icing.  (It's called a 'crumb icing' for just that reason:  it traps any further loose crumbs.)
    Allow the crumb icing to set up for a bit, then apply your regular chosen frosting, and you'll have a beautiful finished look with no crumbs, and no cake coming up with the frosting.
    Always use a wide spatula to frost a cake, not a table knife.  (A frosting spatula has a straight blade that is about an inch wide.)

Best wishes!

5. Qmarpat profile image70
    Qmarpatposted 12 months ago

I have to make sure the cake is very cool. I've had cakes peel, and now I just let them cool for awhile. It usually works. I'm sure people who are experts will have pointers.

working