jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)

Why isn't my personally favorite tasting vegetable (parsnips) more popular with

1. connorj profile image76
    connorjposted 3 years ago

Why isn't my personally favorite tasting vegetable (parsnips) more popular with everyone?

The parsnip ( Pastinaca sativa) is my favorite tasting of all vegetables. I enjoy them raw or cooked or for that matter burned to a crisp on our grill. Yet it is one of the least favorite vegetables and can be difficult to find in many stores. It is a root quite similar to carrot; yet it tastes significantly different ( in my opinion it tastes better than carrot). It is high in vitamins and antioxidants too; thus, it is important for our diet. It is ancient and was used as a sweetener before sugar cane...

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/11864540_f260.jpg

2. Robert the Bruce profile image59
    Robert the Bruceposted 3 years ago

I've never had parsnips in any form. I've never seen them at gatherings or any other place that food is present. Maybe they just never caught on with people? Maybe other vegetables haven taken precedence?

I enjoy food...the simpler the better for me. Following this principle I try to eat plenty of vegetables and I've grown quite a taste for them. In fact I just had turnips for the first time this week. Maybe now I'll have to try parsnips...

connorjposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Indeed you must they are significant in taste, sweetness and nutrition... With regards to turnips; my God, man The Bruce didn't have potatoes to dine on his main "veggie" would indeed be turnips!

3. Arco Hess Designs profile image73
    Arco Hess Designsposted 3 years ago

I think it's mostly due to parsnips being a very regional crop. They can't be grown just anywhere. They are very picky about the soil and temperature. This, of course, means they aren't even available in most groceries.

I appreciate your answer; however, they can indeed be grown in most countries especially in a prepared soil not unlike carrots...

4. lisavollrath profile image95
    lisavollrathposted 3 years ago

I think in the push to "eat the rainbow", the parsnip is a vegetable that has been overlooked, because it's white. Many people who follow a healthy diet snub white foods, not realizing they're omitting some yummy and healthy selections.

I'm an herbivore, so I like my root vegetables. Parsnips, turnips, and rutabagas show up on my plate regularly in cooler months, when the fresh local produce varieties dwindle.

I think all it will take for these vegetables to become popular again is for some celebrity chef with a cooking show to talk them up.

I hope you are indeed correct. It is such a wonderful and helpful root veggie.

5. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 3 years ago

I never liked parsnips because they leave a nasty aftertaste in my mouth, one that lasts for a long while. This is why I say Yuck! to them.

OMG, you break my heart, parsnips taste amazing. Say it ain't so...

2. bethperry profile image92
      bethperryposted 3 years agoin reply to this

It is sad I love carrots, but they do it slightly so I don't eat a lot at any given time.

6. Zelkiiro profile image93
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

If they made vegetables taste like something other than solidified death (like, say, anything else from any other food group), you can bet they'd be more popular.

Though to be honest, can't say I've ever had parsnips. But considering the track record its peers have, I'm not exactly in any hurry to try.

It is an amazing and significantly tasteful veggie. You really should try it...

7. Hendrika profile image82
    Hendrikaposted 3 years ago

I love them. In South Africa they are too expensive. I wish more people will realize how tasty they are and start eating them because then more farmers will plant them and they should become more affordable.

Yes we need to increase the demand so the supply goes way up!

8. StoneCircle profile image90
    StoneCircleposted 3 years ago

Being from the New England area, parsnips are just a way of life. Most old New England ookbooks require a barrel full of parsnips for the winter season recipes. Personally, I love them baked with sea salt and olive oil.

Well that may explain it then; "me fadder, grandfadder, and great grandfadder" are all from "Down East" and we have a distant relative from the May Flower...

working