jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

What are the benefits of Veganism?

1. Chriswillman90 profile image98
    Chriswillman90posted 3 years ago

What are the benefits of Veganism?

I'm interested in gradually going vegan but I would like to know all the positives of becoming one. Also what foods should I be eating and are there substitutes for chicken and other meat products that taste similar?

2. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 3 years ago

Overall, better health, and better numbers on medical tests like blood pressure and cholesterol. A lower risk of cancer and heart disease. For myself, a happier, lighter feeling.

You should be eating plants! Google the vegan food pyramid, and you'll see what a balanced vegan diet should look like.

There are vegan substitutes for meats, but honestly, eating processed vegan foods is almost as bad as eating processed food of any other kind. Don't focus on replacing the meat in your diet. Instead, crowd it out, with larger servings of things that used to be side dishes.

Try this article:
    http://garden.lisavollrath.com/how-to-t … ased-diet/

Chriswillman90posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Good to know thank you. The toughest part is changing my eating habits but there's a lot to gain from being vegan.

2. Astralrose profile image93
      Astralroseposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Lisa, focus on fruits, vegetables, and nuts. Eat them whole or raw as much as possible. There are plenty of vegan recipes on the web. Many are healthy, many are not because most of the ingredients are processed. Avoid those.

3. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

I agree with everything lisavollrath said. I would also add that a vegan diet gives you more energy throughout the day, helps you lose weight and keep it off, and opens up new flavor profiles you might never have tasted before. That's not to say it's easy. The social push back is hard to cope with and grocery visits can quickly get frustrating. Other than the fact that imitation-meat products are heavily processed, most totally normal products still contain milk and egg. Generally, if the ingredient list is a chore to read, then you shouldn't eat it. Look for foods you can easily recognize and make sure you have some kind of support system, if you decide to make the switch.

Chriswillman90posted 3 years agoin reply to this

It definitely doesn't seem like an easy thing to do. The costs will probably go up somewhat, so there's a sacrifice to be made. Thanks for the advice.

working