jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Moldy bread: is it really bad for you?

  1. Robie Benve profile image97
    Robie Benveposted 3 years ago

    Moldy bread: is it really bad for you?

    Don't you hate when the only bread you have at home has those green spots?
    many times I've taken the spotted part off and eat the bread anyway.
    But then I am left wondering: mold spores are probably all over that bread, I just can't see them.
    Is it bad for me? Would I "poison" my children if they ate the moldy bread?

    What do you do, throw away or "salvage" moldy bread?

  2. dandelionweeds profile image78
    dandelionweedsposted 3 years ago

    Yes it is!  Some people think it isn't because of penicillin being invented from it, but really fungus, harmful bacteria and even salmonella can be obtained and are possibilities.

  3. profile image0
    Ghaelachposted 3 years ago

    Morning Robie.
    I've got to half agree with dandylionweeds in that what he say is probably true but as a kid I remember eating bread with those little spots on it and 50+ years late I'm still living.
    Must say though, that all the bacteria that we have on the outside of our bodies and what we have in our mouths and noses are a needed source to fight off other unwanted dangers.

  4. ThelmaC profile image97
    ThelmaCposted 3 years ago

    I'm not sure if it could harm you but I have to ask, why take the chance?  Especially with the children.  Throw it out !

  5. DzyMsLizzy profile image95
    DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago

    In the past, I've cut the mold off of cheese, but the rest of the cheese still tasted nasty-moldy, and I ended up tossing it out anyway.
    Bread, likewise.  In sealed plastic bags as it is now packaged, the entire loaf, or what remains of it, is tainted.
    It seems, according to some research I've done, that mold has microscopic 'roots,' 'threads,' or 'runners' that go into the food far past what is visible to the naked eye. 
    That explains my prior experiences, and the research also states that some, but not all, contain assorted toxins, the worst of which are carcinogenic.
    Since there are about a bazillion types of mold, and unless you are a biochemist equipped with a microscope, and can identify the particular strain that has affected your food, it's a 'better safe than sorry' scenario.  Or, as my mother used to say, "When in doubt, throw it out."