jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)

Do you prefer organic food from what markets regardless of the price?

1. brakel2 profile image80
    brakel2posted 3 years ago

Do you prefer organic food from what markets regardless of the price?

Consumer Reports recently rated markets of all types in current 2015 issue and revealed excellent information. Many markets received very low scores. Most organic markets received high ratings.

2. Maggie Bonham profile image93
    Maggie Bonhamposted 3 years ago

Yes, for several reasons.

I remember not believing that organic was better for a long time. Then, the grocery store had a sale on -- of all things -- organic lettuce.  It tasted so much better than the regular stuff, I said "damn it, it does taste better!"  After that, it depends on where I shop what I get, but organic is generally better tasting.  My husband who would be the first to ditch organic over conventional because of price HATES conventional food when we eat it.  Says its tasteless and fatty.  So, there you go.

I also believe it is better for you nutritionally and health-wise. For a long time, we'd get sick from conventional food fairly regularly.  Not so with organic and naturally grown food with minimal pesticides.  We both believe that ingesting food that has a fair amount of pesticide can't be good for you, which is why we try to be very careful in what we eat.

3. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 3 years ago

nope, i never buy organic food because it is way too expensive. The same amount of item but difference in price, my hubby hit the roof when he saw the price tag

4. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 3 years ago

I buy organic selectively. For example, I almost always buy organic zucchini, yellow squash, apples, corn and potatoes, because conventional brands tend to have much higher levels of pesticides in them, or because there's a possibility they might be genetically modified. I prefer to avoid the pesticides and the GMOs.

On the other hand, because of the way pesticides are applied to them, I feel fine buying conventional bananas and avocados for the moment.

Given a choice, and a narrow price difference, I will usually choose to pay a tiny bit more for organic. If the price difference is large, my choice is between conventional, and going without. Sometimes, going without wins.

I should also add that I have a very tight budget, and I still manage to eat organic foods. I'm vegan, which means most of what I put into my body is vegetables, grains and legumes. It's not really that difficult to make organic foods the priority within my budget constraints. Many stores now offer their own brands of organics that are cost effective.

1. Maggie Bonham profile image93
      Maggie Bonhamposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I, too, am on an extremely limited budget, but I make a lot of our snacks and don't use prepared foods when I can help it. We also hunt for a good portion of our meat. Because of this, we can afford organic foods.

5. DzyMsLizzy profile image97
    DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago

I would LOVE to buy only organic produce.  Sadly, it is well outside of our meager budget.
    It truly galls me that healthy food costs less than mass-produced junk!

6. Galadriel Arwen profile image73
    Galadriel Arwenposted 3 years ago

Generally I get organic if it is root grown. If the prices are equal I will get organic also. Since the water companies in America put Fluoride and Arsenic into the general water supply we all are being poisoned slowly regardless of what we eat. The water they use to water the food had poison in it, the water we use to cook it has poison in it. So we are set on the path of destruction. My daughter says that it is the way the USA has decided to control their population. The government states that the small percent means nothing but add that small percentage to everything we water including our mouth, food we eat and washing and you have a vast amount of poison we are getting. Ever wonder why the kidneys and liver is going ill for so many? It was Gods was to help us combat poison but when you have it in everything they have to work over time to get rid of it and I don't think it is that easy to get rid of the poisons they use.
    By the way fluoride does not help your teeth either.
    http://www.ilikemyteeth.org/fluoridatio … ths-facts/

Now there are some people who are starting to combat the deadly poison in their own drinking water. The show Arsenic and Old Lace wasn't a myth but a warning!

Some ways to start removing the Arsenic that the government requires even bottle water to put into our water.
    http://www.cleanairpurewater.com/arsenic.html

There is also a way to remove fluoride
    http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistry … uoride.htm

If the organic dealers and growers have these methods it would definitely be better for all of us to use organic.

1. Marie Flint profile image92
      Marie Flintposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I also use Violet Flame to negate the affects of poisons in the food and water that I can't control.

2. brakel2 profile image80
      brakel2posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for all the comments. it is so sad that countries cannot use food and water that is good for the general population. All the additives do is ruin health. We must be informed. The FDA says GMOs are safe, but do we believe the FDA? .

7. Marie Flint profile image92
    Marie Flintposted 3 years ago

Yes! I also grow a garden, but don't have everything I want--apples, for example. I much prefer the taste of an organically grown fruit over a forced-growth, sprayed version any day. I hope to see an abundance of organically grown produce in the markets during the coming decades.

1. brakel2 profile image80
      brakel2posted 2 years agoin reply to this

What is Violet Flame?  All answers are excellent. Many people claim they cannot afford to buy organic. Some folks buy in less expensive stores that sell organic.

8. profile image0
    MsLowrieposted 20 months ago

Yes, I prefer all natural foods, and predominately shop the perimeter of the store when I am in a supermarket.

working