jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

What would suddenly make well water taste bad?

1. Barbara Kay profile image89
    Barbara Kayposted 5 years ago

What would suddenly make well water taste bad?

We have a water softener. Does that have a filter that needs to be changed ever? Is there anything else to check to see what is causing the problem?

2. SidKemp profile image95
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

Lots of potential problems - some of them are health dangers. A water softener does not protect from poison and infectious disease. Filters can get clogged or dirty, and become sources of illness. And some things get into the water that filtration doesn't stop.

Get your water and water system checked by a professional. I encourage you also to learn how it works and what it does, and how to maintain it well.

3. rfmoran profile image87
    rfmoranposted 5 years ago

I don't know, but I know this: you should get the water tested IMMEDIATELY.

4. ChitrangadaSharan profile image56
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 5 years ago

Water filters have to be cleaned periodically. Depending upon, which one you have, there is a specific procedure to do that, which is mentioned in the instruction booklet  of the water filter, which you must have received when you purchased it. If the taste of water has suddenly changed, better clean or change the filters. Filters also have a life, say one year in some cases. It would be best to call a professional, to know the exact reason of the problem.

1. Barbara Kay profile image89
      Barbara Kayposted 5 years agoin reply to this

We have a water softner, but not a water filtration system.  I'll have to call and find out if our softener has a filter.

5. Ann1Az2 profile image66
    Ann1Az2posted 5 years ago

We used to have a well and found out that at the end of the pipe at the very bottom of the well, there was a filter of sorts that fitted on to the end of the pipe. It had become deteriorated and sand, dirt and whatever else was seeping into the bottom of the well and was going up through the pipe and contaminating the water. We had a problem with too much sand in the drinking water. I think the newer wells use a different way to pump water up. So it depends on how old your well is as to whether this would be useful information.

Also, if the water has a lot of rust in it, there is something they can attach to the well so that when the water goes through it, it gets rid of the rust before it goes through the water softener.

Water softeners usually have big drums of salt that the water is filtered through. You might want to check to make sure your water softener has plenty of salt.

A smell of rotten eggs can be gotten rid of by installing a chlorinater at the well before the water goes through your softener.