Are your kids eating dinner everynight?

1. mother of three profile image52
    mother of threeposted 10 years ago

Each night as we sat down to eat dinner together I feel the storm clouds rolling in. My 3 year old has a select food group in which he will eat from and that is junk. My 6 year old is at the stage that you wonder what keeps him alive because you can't remember the last time food entered his mouth. As for my 10 year old she's at the stage that it must come from McDonalds or Arby's to qualify as something she'll eat. So each day I rack my brain trying to come up with ideas to get food into their mouths without holding them down to do it.
       After battle after battle I realized that something was going to have to give because I was sure to go crazy if it continued. I decided to have a food party with them. I made a sample serving of everything I could dream up. I even let them have input on the food. They were allowed to choose two foods that they loved and I fixed it. To my surprise they liked the food that I thought were for adult taste buds only. My six year old loved shrimp scampi, my ten year old loved roast beef with potatoes and carrots, and my three year old loved the fresh veggie platter. I was shocked!!
       I don't fix these things everynight for dinner but when I choose no battle at all chicken tacos are sure to hit the spot.

2. thranax profile image44
    thranaxposted 10 years ago

Lol awww. I know I had no trouble growing up eating. I liked a lot of things. Maybe its this tolerance that I like to cook now. Kids can be hard to buy food for but my parents had a pretty descent philosophy. We will make it, and we will make sure something you 100% don't like isn't there (example Mustard, I still hate it.) And I had the choice, I ate that food or I didn't eat. The food they made was great, they didn't allow me to get too picky.

3. elisabeth reid profile image61
    elisabeth reidposted 10 years ago

I know it sounds pat and it probably sounds mean, but I don't give my kids a choice.  There are too many of them and too few of me, so I cook what I cook and they either eat it or they don't.  If they don't, there aren't any alternate selections or snacks, though.  No changing their minds an hour or two later, either, 'cause it'll be gone by then.  They all fought it a time or two but then they learned to eat what I cooked, when I cooked it.  I'm kinda mean that way but they all learned early on to eat what was on their plate, whether they liked it or not.  My only concession was with #2 son...who absolutely loathed meat loaf when he was little.  The idea would reduce him to tears and eating it would practically make him gag.

So I stopped calling it meat loaf, started calling it 'hamburger roast' (the rest of the kids were in on it) and...lo and behold...suddenly the boy was asking for seconds.

Otherwise...to keep the fussing to a minimum, I simply started all the kids on strained veggies when they went on solid foods -- no fruits or desserts at all until they'd gone through all the veggies I could find.  By then, they didn't especially like the sweet stuff and my dinner confrontations have been minimal.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)