- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
For the Love of Soup
It's no secret that I love to cook, and create new recipes, especially when it comes to soup.
If I were to write the meaning for soup in the dictionary it would go like this: Comfort food for all and any occasion.
My grandmothers on both sides of my family were soup makers. I remember as a child sitting and watching them cook thinking about all the things that I could add to the pot and make it taste good. Sometimes I would make a suggestion and it would be added, and other times not.
I was so happy when I was old enough to create and make my very own soups adding a little of this or a lot of that to the pot, let it simmer and cook away.
I will be sharing with all of you my soup, stew, and chili recipes. I make soups all year round so be sure to check back often to see if there is a recipe that you'd like to try.
Photo credit: All photos used in this article are the property of the author Susan Zutautas unless otherwise stated. If you'd like to borrow or use any of my photos please get written permission first.
Tools to Help You Make Delicious Homemade Soups
Some people think that it's hard to make homemade soups. I'm here to tell you that soup is one of the easiest meals one can make. You can either start with a bone, or start with a simple vegetable stock.
I never ever throw away a ham bone, turkey or chicken carcass, as these are great soup starters. If you're not planning on making a soup right away simply wrap up the bone or carcass, and throw it the freezer until you're ready to make that delicious pot of soup.
A large stock pot is perfect for making large quantities of soups and stews. They These pots are perfect for steaming lobsters, crabs, or for cooking large ears of corn.
What kind of soup is your favorite?
Tell me what your favorite soup is to eat or make.
There is nothing like soup; It is by nature eccentric; no two are ever alike, unless of course you get your soup in a can.— Laurie Colwin "Home Cooking" (1988)
Sharing My Soup Secrets
I'm always trying new things in the kitchen when it comes to cooking. and thought that I'd share a few discoveries with you when it comes to making soup.
- If you like garlic as much as I do you may want to try this next time you're making a soup, stew, or some kind of a sauce where you want that garlic taste to pop out at you. Rather than chopping the clove or cloves of garlic and adding them to the pot try grating or pressing instead. I find that this creates a delicious and aromatic taste sensation.
- I've learned through trial and error that pasta should never be added to the soup in the beginning of its creation. When using larger pastas such as elbow macaroni, you should cook it separately and then add to the soup just before serving.
- When available always try to use fresh spices and herbs rather than dried.
- To remove fat from soup simply chill the soup for an hour or so in the refrigerator. When you see that the fat is on the top skim it off with a spoon.
Ingredients That Are Great to Have On Hand - For Creating Soups
Aside from using fresh or frozen vegetables, spices, and herbs, I like to use dried beans, barley, soup mixes, hot sauces, rice, and pastas.
All of the Bob's Red Mill products I've ever used have been fantastic. there are many to choose from and can sometimes be found at your local grocery store.
Homemade Soups Versus Canned Soups
We all know that homemade is always the healthier choice but not everyone has the time or the desire to make homemade soups.
Sausage Kale Soup
Soup, Stew, and Chili Recipes of Mine That Can Be Seen Here or Other Places Online
I started writing recipe articles about four years ago. and it is something I very much enjoy doing. Below you'll find a handful of my recipes for delicious soups. I hope you will enjoy them.
- Sausage Kale Soup Recipe
Delicious, healthy, creamy soup packed with nutrients. This soup was made with fresh kale and hot Italian sausage.
- Ham Bone Soup
See how easy it is to make a soup starting with a ham bone. Full of flavorful ingredients to keep your family coming back for more.
- Saltibarsciai or Beet Soup
A Lithuanian summer soup that is great served on a hot day with a dollop of sour cream and ice cubes.
- Homemade Chicken or Turkey Soup
A basic recipe for a chicken or turkey soup.
- Homemade Black Bean Soup
A vegetarian delight to fill you up on a cold winters day.
- Cabbage Chicken Soup
A filling soup that will satisfy.
- Bean and Ham Soup Recipe
A hearty 13 bean soup that will stick to your ribs.
- Creamy Broccoli Homemade Soup Recipe
A creamy pureed broccoli soup that wants you wanting more and more.
- Potato Beef Soup
A hearty soup recipe that can easily be changed into a stew.
- Sweet Potato Beef Stew Recipe
A hearty stew made with beef, sweet potatoes, rutabaga, carrots, and onions.
- Creamy Potato Bacon Soup Like Tim Hortons
If you enjoy Tim Hortons potato soup you will love my easy to follow recipe.
- Turkey Kitchen Sink Soup Recipe
A soup recipe that works well with little bits of this and that, and helps you use up those leftovers.
- Tomato Mushroom Soup
An easy and quick tomato soup to make using fresh tomatoes.
- How to Make Italian Wedding Soup
Italian Wedding soup packed with pork meatballs, carrots and more.
- Easy and Fast Chili Recipe
A delicious chili made with Mrs. Dash Chili Seasoning Mix.
- Shrimp Bisque for Shrimp Lovers Everywhere
Shrimp bisque for the perfect seafood entrée.
- Creamy Mushroom Onion Soup Recipe
Deliciously packed full of mushrooms.
- Turkey Lentil Soup
A hearty turkey soup that you can easily substitute with chicken.
- French Onion Soup With Gouda
Not your traditional French onion soup but very tasty.
The Soup Nazi
Vegetarian Black Bean soup
Cold Beet Soup or Lithuanian Saltibarsciai - Delicious soup that is served cold and sometimes with ice cubes.
I love comments and like to know when people stop by, so please leave me a comment to let me know that you were here.