Need an Amazon Expert's Advice!

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Edweirdo profile image84
    Edweirdoposted 13 years ago

http://hubpages.com/hub/Most-Controvers … st-Century

So this hub has over 2,000 views in 7 weeks and is on the first page of Google for search terms like "controversial movies", "most controversial movies" and "most controversial films".

All of these phrases get many thousands of visits per month according to the Google keyword tool...

So it should be a money maker, right???

But it's not sad

So what am I doing wrong? Is it the topic? Is it the layout?

I have 0 Amazon sales, almost no Adsense money, and even the affiliate "Join Netflix" link has no clicks...

So any ideas? Am I just barking up the wrong tree? My Angelina Jolie hub at least makes Adsense money, and it's nearly the same:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Angelina-Jolie-Movies

FYI, on the Angelina hub, the Amazon capsule up top is a new addition that I replicated on the Controversial hub...

Any help from someone successful in Amazon sales would be GREATLY appreciated - I'm thoroughly frustrated by my poor Amazon performance, overall. Just 3 sales in 4 months from 50+ hubs with Amazon capsules sad

1. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Traffic does not equal money. 

Especially when it comes to topics relating to entertainment, which are highly-over-represented on the 'net and which pay poorly.

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Several issues.

Subject - too vague
      Traffic - not enough to tell.

I get around a 5% CTR with a 6% Conversion rate and I am very, very , very specific with what I add Amazon capsules to and still - I get: 2,000 x 5% = 100 x 6% = 6 sales. LOL And I do very well with Amazon - it is currently my best earner here.

If your hub was "Controversial movies starring Christian Slater with no shirt on that you cannot buy at WalMart" you might get the same sort of conversion. wink

I sell a few movies here, but they are too widely available in the real world and there are too many tire kickers.

If you want to sell products, you need:

Ready to buy now
      Impulse price point
      Not worth going shopping offline for

I sell some weird sh** LOL - I sold a 12 pack of Heinz baked beans in Tomato sauce and a leather cock ring this month.  lol

1. Appletreedeals profile image67
        Appletreedealsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

and it was the same buyer too! Now where did I put the blender ...

GA

2. sunforged profile image72
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

in short.

you are barking up the wrong tree, for any chance of making consistent sales with movies you want to cover more unusual / cult / hard to find items that cant be - either downloaded, netflixed, on-demanded or found quickly at a video store.

Most controversial movies------- is a perfect example of a info seeking article:

My first hand behavior:

i regularly do searches like that! I would read your article. My next step is a title search at imdb or rotten tomatoes . (no chance of sale) ..and then I MAY purchase it online - if I do it will be through an ebay direct search where I will look for '______dvd lot"  so i can get it for around 2-3 bucks.

So even if I was in the mood to buy - the first search - looking for some type of list - isnt a point in my journey where i have my wallet ready yet.

that wasnt short sad

I find the best luck with "intercepting" , "comparing" and sometimes "showcasing unique items

Amazon isnt my best earner though ...but in general I do well with product sales - I just currently prefer the ebay model

1. Edweirdo profile image84
      Edweirdoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But you are a savvy internet user, and so you are not the audience I'm after tongue

I myself do not understand why anyone would do an Internet search when hey want to buy something - like you, when I want to buy something I search Amazon or eBay directly. Be that as it may, others do make money selling stuff on Amazon, and I just don't get why I sell nothing!

FYI, I get what Relache said in her response, but the Jolie and Bullock and other hubs in this topic make Adsense money, but this one does not. I made an Amazon sale from my Sandra Bullock hub based on this same model - and that hub was just a few days old when the sale was made,so traffic wasn't the driver there.

I basically used this one as a sample hub to see if I can figure out why Amazon sales are so poor for my hubs.

I don't get why this Controversial hub makes no Adsense, either - I would expect people to at least click away via an ad, but they don't!

1. Jenna May Swan profile image59
        Jenna May Swanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Amazon sales seem to come from product specific stuff and buy words for key words.  Controversal movies seems to be a keyword for those seeking information not those eager to spend their pennies, and so of course adsense will be poor too as no-one really wants to spend lots on advertising when the keywords are not buying words.

2. sunforged profile image72
        sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Im going to guess that when all your stats are computed, you will see the max return for "view duration" or whatever its called here.

Your readers probably actually read because the content is good - which unfortunately means they are not likely to get distracted by an AS ad.

You can use that more successful hub to link into more "buy it now" related and focused hubs - use controversial as the net and funnel in possible buyers to a more sales/ product review/comparison hub

I like to point out that "no bidding is required" and "free super saver shipping" in comparison with the lower prices at ebay.

of course there is a hubber or two who has admitted their amazon success and follows a pretty formulaic approach- checking them out should be education enough in ONE method of gaining amazon sales

Im sure you will crack it!

3. embitca profile image84
        embitcaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think entertainment hubs tend to do better with Adsense. If you want to increase your Adsense clicks, you could delete the Amazon block at the top of the page. It also might be worth putting Netflix.com in your competitive ads filter on Adsense, especially since you are trying to promote Netflix. I bet that ad pays pennies.

Also, get rid of the Netflix link off to the right. Move that link right into the content instead of off to the side. Surfers are lazy. Instead, link "Click this link for a free trial membership."  You might also want to reconsider whether Netflix is worth promoting. I think their conversion rate sucks.

I do okay with Amazon for my Movie round-up hubs and I think the big difference is that I write longer reviews for fewer movies, like in this hub: http://hubpages.com/hub/5-Cool-Science-Fiction-Movies

I also like to include clips from Youtube and pictures from the movie. I think they can really help make a movie look more interesting to a potential impulse buyer and if you have a clip from Youtube, they may not go to Youtube themselves to check it out.

It also helps if you are enthusiastic about the films yourself. Your hub is mostly just a round-up of titles with a description of each movie, but without your personal thoughts on them or any mention of why you personally like them  -- so there's no convincing evidence that the movies are worth buying. I sell the actual titles from my hubs because I talk the reader into agreeing with me that they should get them.

But ultimately, what Relache said is correct. You cannot expect a lot from entertainment related hubs. They deliver great traffic and that is about it. All of my movie hubs are done for love LOL

Basically when I say I do okay on Amazon, I mean I'm able to buy myself a DVD, a couple of books and a video game or two every month with what they pay me wink

3. Edweirdo profile image84
    Edweirdoposted 13 years ago

Thanks to all for the great feedback!

Looks like I have some work to do big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)