the greatest sin is ?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (78 posts)
  1. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

To thine own self be true !

this is not a statement to incourage a self serving lifestyle.

I think that this is saying  ...  you can lie to your neighbor or to the rest of the world, but the most damaging thing that we can do is lie to ourselves.

And we are ALL doin it!.. in ways that we are unaware.
      And We just caint quidit.

Back on topic...  How many ways do YOU  lie to YOURselves.

I'll go first. 
      I did the best that I could have done with what I had to work with.. 
      I have a lot of them but don't want to use them all up.

1. wesleycox profile image70
      wesleycoxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The greatest sin is forcing religion on other people by posting religious statements in forums.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
        Disappearingheadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is the Religions & Beliefs forum. The clue is in the title. If they were being posted on the Arts & Crafts forum, mmmm you would have a point there. wink

2. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The greatest sin is believing there's such a thing as sin and depriving yourself of many of the honest joys of life.
      Ya only live once for gosh sakes LIVE it!

Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But ya don't want to forget about sin.
        Do ya know what the definition of sin is?
        Sin is anything that is going to bite ya when you pick it up.
        It is a sin to lay your hand flat on top of grandpas Ben Franklin wood burning fireplace when it has a fire in it.

When the fire goes out it aint a sin to touch it any more.

And it can be a sin to hook a bra .... when your asistence wasn't asked for..

Sin can be a lot of things depending upon timing

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
          Disappearingheadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe that sin was originaly used in archery parlance. If when a bowman shot off his arrow it failed to reach its target by failing short, the instructor would sy "Thou hast sinned". Hence to sin is to fall short of God's standards. Fortunatley for us, He's already thought of this and given us His Son to stand in our place.

You are right and again i can see a parralel between both statements. Seems like thr rules are about not hurting ourselves or others. Maybe a bit over simplistic, but I find it easier to stay within the boundaries when doin my simple thinking.  And then I fall short sometimes anyway.

2. pisean282311 profile image64
        pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

@qwark i personally agree with u..there is nothing like sin only experience as far as i m concerned..

1. profile image52
          paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi friend pisean282311

When one sins; one misses the purpose of life; that is total loss, one must remember.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
            Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wrong. Please consider thinking and using reason and rational thought instead of blind faith. I am sin-free, so you can take it from me - when one imagines sins (which do not exist) - then one feels obliged to tell others they are sinning - this causes wars and conflict.

Truthful atheist who does not need to lie.

1. profile image0
              Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

couldn't have said it better, Marcus (less the run on sentence jeje.) Sin no longer exists. People miss out on life because they still think -and that thinking tells them SIN (Still In Neverland).

I am practicing for the "Dark and Stormy night" contest,. That is my excuse in any case. big_smile

2. pisean282311 profile image64
            pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

@paar i disagree with u..what is sin and what is not sin is subjective matter..when one does something which u call a sin might not be sin as per the doer or he/she might be doing it unknowingly..it adds to experience and serves purpose of life...

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I dunno what the "greatest" sin is....
      but I think the most subtle & deceptive one is unbelief.

If something is true and ya don't believe it does hurt ya. As you say; it can be subtle.

Such as? Because I get the impression Brenda means - getting a divorce is OK now. LOLOLOLO

I'm all out of such as's. 

No I got one..  If somebody tells me that my pants are on fire I need to check before I dismiss the notion.

Or if they tell me that the boat has a hole in it and I take it out any way.
               Now that I got started They keep coming.
               Na that is enough for now.

2. Jerami profile image59

Well I got one one time. (divorce)
               That is a habit I don't want to get caught up in.

4. profile image55
      (Q)posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Jerami, sin is law of a religion, hence one religions sin may very well not be a sin in another religion. The concept of sin loses all meaning when trying to determine what is and what is not a sin.

Lying cannot be a sin. Lying is condoned under certain circumstances in some religions. In fact, people lie to each other all the time to protect their feelings from being hurt, for example.

“Hymns and Christian songs have made many liars.”

1. profile image52

Hi friend (Q)

Sin is doing anything against the commandments of the Creator- God Allah YHWH.

Quran gives its commandments with the reasons as to why a commandment is given; all commandments are pro-life, attuned to the purpose of life and attuned to the purpose of Evolution set in motion by the Creator- God Allah YHWH.

Mistakes and errors are not sins.

There are no hereditary sins or the original sins as wrongly held by the mythical Christianity founded by the clever Paul.

Sins are forgiven if the sinner repents, resolves not to commit it in future and ask forgiveness from the Creator- God Allah YHWH; he may forgive under his sole discretion without consultation with anybody, like Jesus.

The Creator-God Allah YHWH needs no artificial human sacrifice of Jesus or anybody else; it is no requirement for forgiveness of sins and is unrelated to it and cruel also.

Thanks

1. profile image55

Did you feel the need to repeat what I just said or did you not read my post, again?

If that were true, there would not be anything in the Quran that would promote violence, which is not pro-life or attuned to the purpose of life, but only serves to promote Islamic beliefs.

Quran right, Christianity wrong, yes, we know your Islamic agenda of provoking others while always claiming to be peaceful.

Ah, the hypocrisy of the indoctrinated, always ready to commit acts of evil only to be forgiven so they may go out and commit them again without reproach.

Anti-Christian propaganda or Pro-Islamic propaganda, you be the judge.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I am true to myself. I know this, because of all the previous years that I was not and how it changed my life. wink smile

3. LeanMan profile image78
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

I am always true to myself except when I'm not.. I never lie (did I just sin?)

What's happened to my nose??

4. prettydarkhorse profile image55
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

lie to others -- being deceptive

if you lie to yourself you are creating a destruction to yourself only
    if you lie to others you trick them as well as yourself,

I think I dont know how to measure the gravity of greatest sin, I would like to say -- brutality to children, abuse to children are the worst sins

1. LeanMan profile image78
      LeanManposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi PDH,

I have to agree with the brutality to children comment, I hate it when kids are made to suffer..

By the way, talking of sinners, did you vote and who for??

1. prettydarkhorse profile image55
        prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hehe, Hi Leanman, how are you,

I'm fine... how are you??

1. prettydarkhorse profile image55

Good, eating bagoong with veggies hehe ginamos

2. DevLin profile image60
      DevLinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Gotta agree. We all lie to ourselves at some point, to get through some of our biggest ordeals. What we let happen to children, is worse than sinning.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Please let's not start about "protecting the children" or "we must do for the children, we owe it to them". hmm

heheehe

I love children, but I couldn't eat a whole one...

2. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But, Cags, sometimes the lies we tell ourselves about our children is the only thing keeping them alive!  big_smile

And actually that might bring up a point - sometimes our lies to ourselves may be good things.

Maybe for you. hmm
            Not really, but if you want to believe that, I'm sure you can. hmm

3. Jerami profile image59

Sorry just wanted a catchy title.
        But don't think that them folks that are abusing those children are lieing to themselves?

Maybe whenever we self justify we are not being honest to ourselves????

Justification is an excuse people make up to suit themselves, because they are not being honest with themselves or others. hmm

2. prettydarkhorse profile image55

they dont lie to others, they are just mean hehe
        self justification, whats the measure, your own self value, based on?
        basically we are selfish -- self centered people -- we are always self justifying our actions for self preservation -- we dont admit at times we also falter

5. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

I'm dumb as a pile of rocks and ugly to boot.

Wait......Did I lie about lying to myself?

Or maybe.. I lied when lying about the lie to me?

Can I just be true to my lies about lying when I lied and said I lie instead of to me?

I'm so confused!

Me too  and by the way your avitar is of the cutest little  boy?  since me. Or am I lieing to myself again?  I wasn't ever that cute.

1. wilderness profile image94

My grandson.  It WAS a good pic!  Looks like a little elf.

6. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

I think the greatest sin is trying to convince yourself and others you've never made one.

7. Jerami profile image59

I think that every one has a boat load of self justification, excuses and alabis.  Whe never run out. until we stop using them.

Ya know what they say  Use it or lose it.

You are of course correct.  Mankind has the most amazing ability to rationalize whatever he wants into Truth.  Most of that is the willingness to use the self justification, excuses, alabis and outright lying to himself that you reference.

So;  in a way of its own, this weakness of mankind just might be the covering for the most horrendous of sins.
          Pride and my own ability for self justification???

And pride and justification feed on each other in a positive feedback situation.

8. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

the greatest sin is not helping someone when you can.  Anyone.

So; ya need any help withy that catch clip?

Sorry I should not have ask that.  Do I need to express a realy good excuse for my being bad?

gotta go do an estament.

2. profile image0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

9. Jerami profile image59

And I think that it is an atrocity  when people make me eat too much cake and ice cream. … Makes me fat.

So  I stay out of the kitchen and don't give them a chance.  To hurt me.

10. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

Mark, while your fascination with me is interesting,  your continued harrassment of me only serves to prove your lack of manners and sensible thought processes.   Don't you have a cake to bake somewhere?

11. Precious Pearl profile image74
    Precious Pearlposted 13 years ago

If I were to choose one as being the greatest sin it would be grieving the Holy Spirit through doubt and unbelief.

12. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 13 years ago

...sin itself?

1. profile image0
      SirDentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I must say that I agree with this reply. The wages of sin is death.

13. akirchner profile image91
    akirchnerposted 13 years ago

Stupidity and prejudice - thinking that you have all the answers and judging others before you know all the facts.  Or not researching things and labeling people or beliefs based on what popular opinion is or what others say.  I think it is important in all aspects of life to keep an open mind and to be kind.  You can have differing opinions but when you label people or reject them, refuse to even consider other sides of a coin because of mindset or without at least trying to see the other side, you slip into being uncharitable and I think we all should be giving - of ourselves, our time, our minds, our resources.  No one is an island and I think we all need to be more tolerant.  The opposite in my humble opinion is the sin because we weren't put on this earth to judge.

14. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Paarsurrey wrote:

Quran gives its commandments with the reasons as to why a commandment is given; all commandments are pro-life, attuned to the purpose of life and attuned to the purpose of Evolution set in motion by the Creator- God Allah YHWH.

(Q) wrote:

If that were true, there would not be anything in the Quran that would promote violence, which is not pro-life or attuned to the purpose of life, but only serves to promote Islamic beliefs.

Paarsurrey says:

Quran is very peaceful and there is no violence in it. If you only could quote text of ONE such verse, with five preceding and five following verses for the usual context and then prove your viewpoint. I don't mind if others friends here join you in finding ONE such verse in Quran. THERE IS NO VIOLENCE IN QURAN; it is just your misunderstanding my friend.

Now, get on searching any such verse.

Thanks

1. profile image55

Shout it from rooftops, shout if from the highest mountain tops of the world if you so wish.

Taqiyaa

Qur'an 3:28: "Let not the believers take for friends or helpers unbelievers rather than believers. If any do that, in nothing will there be help from Allah; except by way of precaution, that ye may guard yourselves from them."

“To save life, honour. Or property (either one’s own or of other believers) by hiding one’s belief or religion”.

1. profile image52

Hi friend (Q)

I give here the verse with the verses in the context, which you had not given lest you will be exposed:

[3:24] Dost thou not know of those who have been given their portion of the Book? They are called to the Book of Allah that it may judge between them, but a party of them turn away in aversion.
        [3:25] That is because they say, ‘The Fire shall not touch us, except for a limited number of days.’ And what they used to forge has deceived them regarding their religion. [3:26] How will they fare when We will gather them together on the Day about which there is no doubt; and when every soul shall be paid in full what it has earned, and they shall not be wronged?
        [3:27] Say, ‘O Allah, Lord of sovereignty, Thou givest sovereignty to whomsoever Thou pleasest; and Thou takest away sovereignty from whomsoever Thou pleasest. Thou exaltest whomsoever Thou pleasest and Thou abasest whomsoever Thou pleasest. In Thy hand is all good. Thou surely hast power to do all things.
        [3:28] ‘Thou makest the night pass into the day and makest the day pass into the night. And Thou bringest forth the living from the dead and bringest forth the dead from the living. And Thou givest to whomsoever Thou pleasest without measure.’
        [3:29] Let not the believers take disbelievers for friends in preference to believers — and whoever does that has no connection with Allah — except that you cautiously guard against them. And Allah cautions you against His punishment; and to Allah is the returning [3:30] Say, ‘Whether you conceal what is in your breasts or reveal it, Allah knows it; and He knows whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth. And Allah has power to do all things.’
        [3:31] Beware of the Day when every soul shall find itself confronted with all the good it has done and all the evil it has done. It will wish there were a great distance between it and that evil. And Allah cautions you against His punishment. And Allah is Most Compassionate to His servants.
        [3:32] Say, ‘If you love Allah, follow me: then will Allah love you and forgive you your faults. And Allah is Most Forgiving, Merciful.’
        [3:33] Say, ‘Obey Allah and the Messenger;’ but if they turn away, then remember thatAllah loves not the disbelievers.

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … p;verse=23

Now you can see how wrong you are.

Quran mentions of no Taqiyya, it could be "made in Skepticism" or the like.

Thanks

1. profile image55

"Ibn Kathir (d. 1373, second in authority only to Tabari) writes, "Whoever at any time or place fears their [infidels'] evil may protect himself through outward show."

Muhammad's close companion, Abu Darda, who said, "Let us smile to the face of some people [non-Muslims] while our hearts curse them"; another companion, al-Hassan, said, "Doing taqiyya is acceptable till the Day of Judgment [i.e., in perpetuity]."

15. luvpassion profile image62
    luvpassionposted 13 years ago

The greatest sin according to islam is, associating partners with god.

Christianity...Then said he who had invited him: 'Master, which is the greatest sin?'

Jesus answered: 'Which is the greatest ruin of a house?' 

Every one was silent, when Jesus with his finger pointed to the foundation, and said: 'If the foundation give way, immediately the house falleth in ruin, in such wise that it is necessary to build it up anew: but if every other part give way it can be repaired. Even so then say I to you, that idolatry is the greatest sin, because it depriveth a man entirely of faith, and consequently of God; so that he can have no spiritual affection. But every other sin leaveth to man the hope of obtaining mercy:  and therefore I say that idolatry is the greatest sin.'

Any similarities here?

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Teri.
      Is that a direct quote from the Q'uran?

1. luvpassion profile image62
        luvpassionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Brenda...actually the first is from a devout Muslim Cleric, I'm sure he got it from Quran.

2. profile image52

The greatest sin according to islam is, associating partners with god.

Hi friends

I quote the text of the verse with the verses in the context:

[31:7] And of men is he who takes idle tales in exchange for guidance to lead men astray from the path of Allah, without knowledge, and to make fun of it. For such there will be humiliating punishment.
        [31:8] And when Our Signs are recited to him, he turns proudly away, as though he heard them not, as if there were a heaviness in both his ears. So announce to him a painful punishment.
        [31:9] Surely those who believe and do good works — they will have Gardens of Delight, [31:10] Wherein they will abide. Allah has made a true promise; and He is the Mighty, the Wise.
        [31:11] He has created the heavens without any pillars that you can see, and He has placed in the earth firm mountains that it may not quake with you, and He has scattered therein all kinds of creatures; and We have sent down water from the clouds, and caused to grow therein every noble species.
        [31:12] This is the creation of Allah. Now show me what others beside Him have created. Nay, but the wrongdoers are in manifest error.
        [31:13] And We bestowed wisdom on Luqman, saying, ‘Be grateful to Allah:’ and whoso is grateful, is grateful only for the good of his own soul. And whoso is ungrateful, then surely Allah is Self-Sufficient, Praiseworthy.
        [31:14] And remember when Luqman said to his son while exhorting him, ‘O my dear son! associate not partners with Allah. Surely, associating partners with God is a grievous wrong.’
        [31:15] And We have enjoined on man concerning his parents — his mother bears him in weakness upon weakness, and his weaning takes two years — ‘Give thanks to Me and to thy parents. Unto Me is the final return.
        [31:16] ‘And if they contend with thee to make thee set up equals with Me concerning which thou hast no knowledge, obey them not, but be a kind companion to them in allworldly affairs; and in spiritual matters follow the way of him who turns to Me. Then unto Me will be your return and I shall inform you of what you used to do.’

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … p;verse=10

Please see verse [31:14] above.

Thanks

16. Jerami profile image59

paarsurrey wrote:
    THERE IS NO VIOLENCE IN QURAN

You just lied to your self!   I hope thay you feel bad upon yourself??????????

17. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

Thanks.

18. Jerami profile image59

I think that the greatest sin that we committ is the lie that we tell ourselves and believe it!

19. profile image0
    Non-offensiveUserposted 13 years ago

The greatest sin is SIN itself!

20. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

damn you guys have great points! Casting judgement onto others before you cast it upon yourself, that is the biggest sin along with lieing!!!

21. watchya profile image60
    watchyaposted 13 years ago

The greatest sin is not to love yourself.

22. profile image0

The greatest sin is to deny chipmunks with flowers.

1. watchya profile image60
      watchyaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Because I love myself ,I always deny them big_smile

1. profile image0
        Non-offensiveUserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Love yourself and small furry burrowing animals...

I don't have the time. Busy with real men big_smile

23. BDazzler profile image78
    BDazzlerposted 13 years ago

I wrote a hub on the topic ... it's not what most people think.

Very boring topic big_smile

24. profile image0

The greatest sin is to waste your valuable time screwing around on this thread instead of leading a productive life.

So why are you here ? LOL

1. profile image0
        Non-offensiveUserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No one's perfect.  Even chipmunks have vices.

25. USMCwifey09 profile image62
    USMCwifey09posted 13 years ago

There's a difference between sin and mistake. Mistake is an act (of sorts) that the person is unaware that whatever it is they say, do, act is wrong (either defined by religion or society, or whatever they follow). Sin, on the other hand, is knowing before hand what you're doing in wrong, and still continue to do so, even knowing what the consequences would be.
    Sin is sin, period. Whether it's lying, cheating, murder. All of it is wrong. Now, clearly murder is more atrocious than say, stealing from your Dad's wallet, but if you are an active believer in any form of religion, then you (presumably) understand that there's a higher being that is to be the judge.

*this post is not meant to be judgmental of anyone's beliefs, and is not meant to purposefully offend, it's merely my own opinion.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)