The Deficit and its causes

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (29 posts)
  1. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 13 years ago

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/.a/6a00d83451c45669e201348183b6c6970c-550wi

Who's to blame?

1. Bill Miller profile image60
      Bill Millerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Who's to blame?

Today its Barack Obama and every Democrat sitting in Washington!

Why do you ask?

2. michael brannigan profile image59
      michael branniganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't matter, it is not real debt. Manifested debt that is borrowed from itself and raped through commission. The only true cost is servicing it, if that's taken out of the equation a country can lend and borrow for eternity. Do you really believe that there is someone out there borrowing your country the money? What would they be, Martians? Derivatives market is valued at 11 times the size of the entire world economy, do the maths!

1. ilmdamaily profile image68
        ilmdamailyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Government bonds?

Everything comes from somewhere.

The only way that the debt is "not real" is in the same way that the money that underpins it is also "not real."

1. profile image0
          china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is right.  Also the money system is not a stationary block that can be examined and understood as discrete pieces - it is a moving cloud of interactions where everything affects and is affected by everything - and some things move everything.

To look at any one piece is misleading before it starts and so it can all be argued about for ever, or until it stops, and then we have it still at one point to be examined.

The bottom line for the US is that - in the world - it has spent more than it has made for over eleven years now. On top of that money (or value) has been skimmed from the top and invested in other countries for benefit in those countries. To make up the missing money you, the people, have had money removed from you collectively (this is why your house and everything costs you more relative to what you earn and some people have lost everything) and those higher up the food chain have borrowed from other countries, including China, through government bonds etc. Exporting more than you import and stop spending vast amounts on wars would help.

The whole world is changing around the US and when the sh*t hits the fan other countries may not react in the same way as in the past, you may not be able to control the dollar and in that scenario it can crash, that means everyone loses and the debt increases in value proportional to the decrease in the dollar making it harder to get out of the pit. And maybe the rest of the world will find it convenient to leave you there so that you are forced to withdraw from everywhere and look to thing at home, as the USSR was forced to do.

If the US wants a good place in the new world it should find a way to change from the current dangerous path it is on.

1. Strophios profile image61
            Strophiosposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So far so good.

True(-ish, depending on how you want to date the Clinton years, etc.).

True, as far as it goes. But the way you say this implies two things: one, that it is a priori bad (which is silly, though it can be, see Israel); and two, that it is removed or taken out in a way different from all the other money the federal government spends, which is also not true.

The first part is true, insofar as taxes have been increased (which mostly they haven't, that actually being one of the main problem: that they were lowered for certain segments of the population). That part in parentheses is not so true, unless I miss your meaning. I'm sure levels of government spending affect the economy in ways which can change the value of your house relative to your income, but that's mostly the market that does that, since the value of your house is based entirely on what people are willing to pay for it. If you're referring to inflation, then you may have a point, except that salaries, on the whole, keep pace with inflation (if they didn't, we'd all still be trying to buy penny candy with pennies). Additionally, the comparison to a food chain is misplaced. Also, I feel that mentioning government bonds in a foreign context but refraining from mentioning their domestic use is slightly dishonest.

The second one is true, the first not so much. Simply because we import more than we export does not a priori mean that government debt increases, as it need not have an affect on government spending. If anything, it will often have a positive affect on revenues as tariffs are levied to protect jobs.

That's not true at all. In fact, that is the opposite of what is true. As the value of the dollar decreases the value of the debt, which (as you pointed out earlier by speaking of government bonds) is in dollars, likewise decreases, because it is not even slightly indexed to inflation. This is why inflation is good for debtors. For instance, the good old debate over whether or not silver should be considered specie was divided along rich/poor lines.

That could be true, but this whole "The monetary system is collapsing" is a bit overblown.

1. profile image0

Money and value can be removed from the country in many ways, not just by govenment. Cheney has been found to have invested much of the profit he made from the Iraq war through Hailburton in Europe.

Money is not just taxes, mortgages for instance are to do with interest rates and the banking system - which has supposedly 'mis-handled' their business but in fact have just transferred money to the pockets of the rich from the rest of society.  Same from the pension funds.  maggie Thatcher in the UK blatantly did this by raising interest rates and many people lost their house and most small business went under - to the benefit of those who bought the houses cheap as investment and big business that brought all the little niche places where small business can operate into their corporations.  Even house cleaners now usually come from agencies who are part of vast national corporations.

Yes you are right, my mistake, too early in the morning here and not enough coffee big_smile

2. profile image0
        jerrylposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Michael,  Servicing debt is (NOT) the only true cost!!  It is the debt process that forces us to (mortgage our future productivity) in order to have a medium of exchange.  Top that with the fact that there is no money created to pay the interest required to sevice any debt.  When we borrow, we are always creating a debt greater than the debt money supply created,  leaving our children and grandchildren an ever growing debt obligation. In order to service that debt obligation, they will have to borrow more.  If they do not, the system will collapse.  If they do borrow more, they go even deeper in debt.  At some point, just servicing the interest on debt, will surpass total gross consumer income!

2. luvpassion profile image62
    luvpassionposted 13 years ago

Elected officials...best guess.

3. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

The people who elected the officials. hmm

1. ilmdamaily profile image68
      ilmdamailyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Succinct and correct.

4. leeberttea profile image57
    leebertteaposted 13 years ago

http://blog.heritage.org/wp-content/uploads/obama_budget_deficit.jpg

Yes, whose fault is it? Your graph left out some important contributors like social security and medicare/medicaid. Also your graph included tax cuts as a cause for a deficit, but tax cuts don't cause deficits, spending money you don't have causes deficits. Also you attribute the Iraq war to Bush and this is really unfair since congress has the power to declare war and to fund it which they did from both sides of the isle.

livelongerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When did I attribute the Iraq War & Afghanistan War to Bush?

As for the tax cuts, of course they contribute to the deficit. Tax receipts - expenditures = Deficit. If your tax receipts plummet, that changes the balance of the equation.

1. leeberttea profile image57
        leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your graph did.

I uderstand the math but you missed my point. Even if tax rates were 100% for everybody, that is every single dollar made was sent to the government, you could still have a deficit and on the flip side, if the government never spent a penny taxes could be zero.

With the government taking over more of the economy and issuing more entitlements increasing the size of government as well as spending can only mean greater deficits until taxes are raised to fund the spending. On you graph the war in Ira is a significant source of spending yet Obama's health care bill will be more than double that.

livelongerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Read the graph again. The only place I see Bush mentioned is for the tax cuts. But, let's be honest, the Afghanistan & Iraq wars were started by Bush (and continued by Obama).

You still don't grasp the equation. I'll state it again:

Tax receipts - Expenditures = Deficit

I am aware that if tax receipts were 100% of GDP we could still run a deficit (i.e. if expenditures were higher) and the converse. That doesn't detract in any way from the fact that Bush-era tax cuts contributed enormously to the deficit.

Conservatives would sound more convincing about their commitment to fiscal responsibility if they had concrete proposals to lower the deficit through concrete, explicit expenditure cuts, and if they cared about it at all when a Republican were running the country. Unfortunately, they never manage to do either.

1. leeberttea profile image57

You should look at your graph again. It's hard to imagine how you could miss the clear reference to the Iraq and Afghanistan war. As I said earlier those wars had bipartisan support, but if you want to attribute them to Bush that's fair enough. In spite of that, the Obama budget promises deficits three times that of Bush right through 2019 based on CBo numbers! It's hard for me to accept the case that is the result of Bush and yet liberals continue to make that case. When will Obama ever be faulted for anything? Is he the Teflon President? It seems the only things that stick to him are his spending accomplishments, awards he's earned for doing nothing and praise for carrying on the same policies that Bush was criticised for.

5. Doug Hughes profile image60
    Doug Hughesposted 13 years ago

Livelonger -
    "Tax receipts - expenditures = Deficit."

If the wealthy in this country paid their fair share, tax receipts would go up - and the deficit would go down.  It's also true that if you reduce expenditures, the deficit wold go down - and I'm all for pruning waste. (Why does the US have to spend more on defense then the rest of the world - COMBINED?) Actually balancing the budget will require working BOTH receipts and expenditures.

1. rhamson profile image72
      rhamsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well I think we piss off a lot of people and the military industrial complex explodes it into a huge need through their lobbyists.

2. leeberttea profile image57

First define "wealthy" then define "fair" share. In 2007 according to the NTU, the top 5%, taxpayers earning 161,000 AGI, paid 60% of all the taxes, the top 50% paid 97% of all taxes which is higher than when Clinton was president.

6. outdoorsguy profile image60
    outdoorsguyposted 13 years ago

Lets see.  Social program spending, continues to rise and has passed the military and Homeland security budgets.   More programs are in the works.    jobs are in the tank.  The Government acts surprised that High unemployment equals less tax collected. and there fore raises taxes and spends more money.

Sounds like we keep electing dimwits, who shouldnt be allowed to touch even a penny bank.

7. profile image0
    jerrylposted 13 years ago

The deficit and it's causes?   

Hmmm, Let's see!  A senate and house that have both bowed before
    Emperor Greenspan, and continue to bow before current emperor
    Bernanke. (A federal resereve that is never audited).

Corporate lobbyists running rampant in the halls of congress, with the permission and blessings of both parties, with occasionally uncovered bribes discovered.

A monetary system that fosters more and more debt because it monetizes debt.  This system is kept in place because it gives congress a free hand on borrowing in the name of the citizenry.

Congress doesn't care.  Their pork barrell projects ensure that they will be reelected.  Face facts!  Under a debt monetary system, if we don't borrow and spend, the system begins an immediate collapse.  If we do continue to borrow and spend, we can only go further and further into the crapper. 

Congress doesn't address this issue in the public forum, because people would realize that their wallets have beem picked by the banksters for their entire lives.  Most are too ignorant or apathetic to understand or do anything about it.

When things get a little sticky in the jobs department, they start another war, so the military industrial complex can kick in some new jobs, even though it still fosters even more debt.
    It makes them look good.

I could give a rat's ass about who is more responsible for the debt, (republicans of democrats).  As far as I am concerned, they are all in cahoots in this farce that has so many people swallowing their gladiator game ruse.  When things get bad, (use misdirection tactics so the public will argue among themselves about the causes). 

Judging from some of the threads on this site, their plan is working.  Instead of taking any kind of action, the public will continue to blame one party or the other.

Keep up the good work folks, argue amongst yourselves some more. You have the powers that be, right where they want you.
    You and your children will pay them homage in the form of the interest charged on all of this indebtedness for your entire lives, or until the system comes to a collapse, at which time I believe they will want to start the same system over again.

8. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 13 years ago

Blame whomever you want.

A deficit is based on a yearly budget. When you spend more in that year you exceed the deficit and add to the National Debt.

Debt accumulates over time.

The reality is when you combine consumer debt with national debt the resources to EVER pay it off are not there.

If you want to blame someone... blame the Bankers who created DEBT and Fractional Reserve Banking.

Debt is the true cancer of the economy.

1. profile image0

I'm with you on this one - debt is what controls the population, struggling to pay it off keeps us in line because if you don't keep at it then everything that you think you own is taken away from you.

And anyone thinks this is not done on purpose ?

9. akirchner profile image92
    akirchnerposted 13 years ago

I'm with Doug - what is the deal with all this defense spending?  Is that ALL we are about anymore?  What happened to programs and taking care of our own citizens (and I'm not talking about all the immigrants who are getting freebies)? 

This is absolute insanity if you ask me - we use more of the world's resources than all other countries in the world and we spend more than they do on defense - is it any wonder that we are plunging deeper and deeper into a hole?  I just wonder what our children and their children will say to us - the 'smart' generation who allowed this to happen!

10. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Bottom line is America is again headed for deep shizer in 8 - 10 years after an initial recovery. Going to suck whomever ends up as the Prez then.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60
      Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hear hear!

The money supply has QUINTUPLED (x5) in the last 15 years, and it has TRIPLED in the last 5 or so!!!

SOMETHING has to happen!

END THE FED

11. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

8-10 years? Try six months.  With all our taxes going up to fund all the crap that Obama and the democrats passed, we'll be lucky if we all don't end up on welfare. Yes, this is definitely Change. Unfortunately there's no hope.

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

FK,

Please advise me what other crap apart from the Health Bill that Obama and the Democrats passed ? being Aussie, I am not always up on political events in the US.

Us Australians are in a good ( at least stable and slooooooooow growth) in our countries financial position, yet we are still seeing and know that  the US and most of Europe are hurting financially and will remain to hurt for the next 2-3 years.

12. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

Who to blame? that's easy!

Keynes! Bernanke! Greenspan! The Federal Reserve! FDR! Nixon! Krugman!

... well that was easy!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)