Religion and Evolution

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (32 posts)
  1. TruthDebater profile image54
    TruthDebaterposted 13 years ago

How do some people believe both religion and evolution? Any religious text I have heard or read claims different times for the earths beginning from what evolution claims.

Most religion also claims humans were created before animals. Evolution claims other life came before humans.

I can understand someone that can believe both creation and evolution if the belief isn't from religious text. But how do ones that believe religious text claim to believe evolution also? Is this simply changing the claims to fit their specific belief?

1. pisean282311 profile image62
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

religions are man man thing while evolution is real..now god and evolution can go hand on hand..it is humans who believe that we are too important that god would intefere , guide and such things...may be god created a system which runs automatically and evolution is part of that system...

TruthDebaterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, but saying maybe God created the evolution system is guessing or assuming, is it not? What religion defines a God that doesn't contradict evolution?

1. zrichards profile image59
          zrichardsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Judaism defines a God that doesn't contradict evolution, and since most of the major religions are based off the old testament then I'd guess that these religions also do not contradict evolution. Also, you said earlier:

"Any religious text I have heard or read claims different times for the earths beginning from what evolution claims."

I think you are misinterpreting these texts, as do most people. I'm going to assume your referring to the problem with God creating everything in 6 days, if you're not please correct me. What most people fail to recognize is the term day is relative. You, along with many others, have taken for granted that god is referring to a day on earth. If you look at the text it's plain to see this is impossible because it says on the first day, God created the earth. He's already talking about a day but earth doesn't exist yet. A day from our perspective may be 24 hours, but from any other point in the universe it is relative. Furthermore, thanks to Einstein's theory of relativity we now know that gravity, light, and time are all relative to one another. It is a proven scientific fact that an object of greater mass experiences time more slowly than that of smaller mass. Don't be so naive to think that the only definition of time is how you are experiencing it.

Thanks. In Judaism, does it say God created man first or that man evolved from simple life? What are your sources that explain the difference of time? Why write some things so clearly in the bible, then claim others need to be interpreted? Einstein died some while ago and we still don't know what dark matter is or what it's function is in the universe. If you believe all is proven by his theory, I think you are mistaken.

2. pisean282311 profile image62
          pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes it is assumption ..quiet right but by studying different religions and version , one thing which i doubt is whether religious god is actually god or not.....well if we view nature , it is very different than religion...

2. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If the bible states that man was created in gods image and all living things as they are today, then there does not appear to be any possibility of evolution occurring, according to this claim.

3. profile image52
      fallenangel666posted 13 years agoin reply to this

If we completley discard religion we are left with a moral dilema, do we replace it with the survival of the fittest? I am not religious but would rather my children had a moral grounding in Christianity, after which I would take it upon myself to prepare them for the realities of life. Compromise is the key to to human culture, without it we would be ruled by fanatics. Intelligent people do not have to take everything literally, only extremists do.

4. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Respectfully,

Why does it matter, and why can one not just let people believe in their choice and leave them be?

What is to gain out of a question like this?

Once again I am baffled by Religious Topics, mind you only ones that will lead to absolutely nothing and your answer was in your OP

I do hope in some way you get whatever answer or debate you are looking for

Thank You

Kimberly

off to bed

2. TruthDebater profile image54
    TruthDebaterposted 13 years ago

Is this a bad question?

3. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 13 years ago

It just seems like bait.

Any question can seem like bait depending on how you look at it. All questions are bait to find and receive answers. What kind of bait did you have in mind?

1. TMMason profile image60
        TMMasonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well true there are about seven current threads on evolution and creationism. Or at least that what they end up being.

No?...

They end up that way because everyone wants to one up the other that their belief is the correct one. I don't want to one up anyone, I just want to know the truth.

1. TMMason profile image60
            TMMasonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well then I guess you could say I am a day/age creationist. I do ot believe the time frames of days before the expulsion from the Garden, are the days we know.

Okay.

Thanks, so do you believe religion and evolution are contradictory and why or why not?

1. profile image0
                kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

roll

4. akulkarni1234 profile image60
    akulkarni1234posted 13 years ago

Every religion has its own concept of evolution. For example the Hindus believe that it was Manu the first man to have been alive.
    The christians believe it is Adam and Eve the sole human creators that is responsible for growth of the humane.

Religion is a science kind of that deiced how to behave when living. We need not always relate them. All the religiosn believe that through love and live and let live we can make the human culture a happy creation.

Jesus, Krishns showed us the way to deal with problems that would arrise in existence. The concept of hell and heaven also assume the same form. Religion is common for men as well as animals. Good will lead to good evil will lead to evil

Thanks. I understand they may have different names for the first people, I am asking if any religious text says man came from other animals rather than created separately? If you say different religions believe different things on the first people, how do you figure all believe the same about love and life? What is good and what is evil?

5. LeanMan profile image78
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

It was the mice... everyone knows that, the mice contracted the planet builders to create earth and all upon it as a supercomputer to define the question for the answer to life the universe and everything... 42...

6. Jeff Berndt profile image74
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

I see the creation stories in Genesis (there are two) as allegories. I do not think the universe was created in six literal 24-hour days.

I also don't see a contradiction between evolution and creation, because I believe that the Bible is more allegorical truth than literal truth, and that any God who can create something as complex as life that evolves over time into what He wants ultimately to create is much cooler than a God who has to just plop things down without any planning.

I also recognize that this belief is fairly heretical and not a  lot of other Christians agree with it. I'm cool with that: I could be wrong. I don't think I am, but I could be, and I'm not going to start any crusades over it.

Thanks. Did they recognize a day as 24 hours when the bible was written? If they did recognize a day as 24 hours, why would they write 6 days to mean different than 144 hours? It seems like they would all know what a day was considering so much importance being placed on the seventh day for rest. I think the bible does allude to planning and creating all separately. I don't remember reading that God created one cell then had it evolve and multiply into different lifeforms. Doesn't it say that God created life separately one by one?

1. zrichards profile image59
        zrichardsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And God said, "Let the earth put forth vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind, upon the earth." According to the bible God didn't create life, it was brought forth by the earth. Also, the bible in it's original Hebrew only says that got ever "created" two things: the heaven & the earth, and man in his image. (I guess that's three, but it's two separate events). Everything else that was made in genesis is brought forth by the universe and earth.

Thanks. What happened to Adam and Eve where it says God used a Rib and some dirt to create man and woman?

1. profile image52

Why don't you stop bashing religion and get a job as a scientist where you can contribute something concrete? Subjective opinions never did anything to expand human knowledge. Grow up.

Me? Isn't this what the bible states in different words? All that exist is subjective opinions until religion creates the objective in bringing beliefs to the same reality for control.  Am I wrong?

7. profile image52
    fallenangel666posted 13 years ago

The bible was written a long time ago by people who had a limited vocabulary, not only verbally but in experience, they tried to objectivize our existence according to the knowledge they posessed. At the dawn of human society the same thing was attempted by the first priestesses and shaman, they instigated the quest to expand human knowledge. Modern day scientists are in a sense, the descendants of those intellectual explorers, if they hadn't instigated the quest in the first place we wouldn't be able to ponder the existence of the 'God' particle. No intelligent person would attempt to prove anything by attacking religious fairytales, is there any profit in ridiculing mythology, which provides a glimpse of the human condition before recorded history? If you want to prove your intellect pick on people who understand science and leave the faithful alone.

1. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

and what of the faithful who understand science?  or the people who understand science yet are faithful?

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Those who understand science and yet believe in a religion have one thing in common. Indoctrination.
        Check their backgrounds parenting and schooling. I always do.
        That will provide all the proof needed. smile

1. profile image52

The same old narrow minded prejudice

1. earnestshub profile image80
            earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Take a look if you're game! lol

8. wingedcentaur profile image64
    wingedcentaurposted 13 years ago

Good Day TruthDebater

Let me give my compliments for a well-conducted discussion. Before I begin, let me mention something in passing. First of all let me say, despite the opinion of one hubber on this thread, it does not matter that there are other threads covering this topic. You reply to TMMason was exactly right.

He said that your question seems like "bait." I liked the response you gave to that. He said something to the effect that such discussions never end well, they are circular, yada, yada, yada, insults, sharp words fly, and so forth.

Then you, TruthDebater, explained that those forums end up that way because people get into a cycle of trying to one-up one another instead of searching for the truth. By the way, - on a side note - don't you find it amusing that when one posts a forum and gets a discussion going, someone always shows up to say how "meaningless" the question is?

But, as you know, this leads us to a classic question: If the inquiry is so meaningless, why do they invest so much energy in convincing everyone of the meaningless of the inquiry? Why do they try so hard to shut it down?

I'll be back later to post something on the actual issue your addressing. I got to run now.

See ya

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)