Can you be a Homosexual Catholic?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (29 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Non-offensiveUserposted 13 years ago

If a person is raised in the Catholic religion and then realizes that they are a homosexual later in life, can they remain an active member of the Catholic church?

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

why not?

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Because homosexual behaviour (including thought) is considered sinful under official Catholic doctrine.

1. lightning john profile image61
          lightning johnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Then why do most of them it?

1. profile image0
            Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Because their whole church structure might crumble if they only have actual spiritual eunuchs in priest positions.
            There's power in numbers.

2. psycheskinner profile image84

Why do most of who do what?

2. relache profile image72
          relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

More than one Catholic doctrine exists in the world.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61

well, I guess that is if you follow everything strictly - not everyone follows every single word about anything- there is flexibility.  My sister is lesbian and she's catholic.  That's all there is to it really - she believes and follows.  And she's catholic - can't argue with that.....she doesn't see her life as sinful and neither do I.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61

...it's really too bad that these discussions always boil down to the sexual act and nothing else about a person......sigh......yea - I guess I just see people as people....

http://richardstevens.us/smiles/mmsmiles/7-07-08/funny_cat_pictures_pc_3.JPG

1. livelonger profile image85
            livelongerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is unfortunate. It is a generational hangup that will disappear over time when people stop obsessing over other people's private lives.

1. profile image0

And of course it never occurs to you to stop shoving your private life into other people's space,  as in the public arena including politics.   I don't recall mainstream America "obsessing" over it until the agenda started trying to legalize the unconscienable.

You seem rather obsessed with my private life. You have a problem with homosexual sex, but I am not the one who keeps on making that connection, it's you.

I've restricted my advocacy to my legal rights under the law. You simply want to keep on thinking about what I do in the bedroom to justify your hatred of gay people and our struggle for equality under the law.

1. profile image0

I don't give a crap what you do in your bedroom.
                  But I do care what you try to make me sanction in the laws of the land in which I live and the churches in the land.  And in the SCHOOLS.

And of course straight people never ever talk about their dating or spouses [/sarcasm]

2. lightning john profile image61
    lightning johnposted 13 years ago

Many years ago there was a man named Alphonse Constance aka Eliphas Levi.  Just days before he was to be ordained, he dropped out, because he knew that it is not natural for man to live like that. Man and woman are to be together, to enjoy each other, and to raise children.  Not two men having artificial families or two women.
    An adult man, having sex with a adult woman is natural, and anything else is not.

Scientists disagree with you. But what the hell do they know?!

Scientists think that a man and a woman are not natural?

They think that heterosexual sex between a man and a woman is natural for heterosexuals. For homosexuals, a natural but minority variant (like redheads), homosexual sex is.

Scientist recognise innate sexual diversity in all species.  It is natural for those it is natural for--and not for those it is not.

2. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Could you explain why it is not natural? I would expect your explanation is tied to nature and not to religion. Thanks. smile

Beelze, No I am not into religion.  And I cannot make anyone change what they think, especially you with your Einstein mask on.  I really think that when it comes to organized churchs nothing matters, they are all on a path to no wheresville.

I do not care one way or another what somone does!
        I was just stating my thoughts on it.    Thank you my friend!

1. psycheskinner profile image84

If you thought is that you don't care, perhaps you should have said that rather than called gay people 'unnatural'.

O.K. I have two associates that are totally gay!
            They know what I think, and respect that. We are friends.

What's the deal here I cannot have my own thoughts on a topic?

Who's stopping you from expressing your own thoughts?

When you express something publicly, you have to be prepared for people to respond to what you said, and for them to disagree with you.

3. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 13 years ago

I knew a gay Catholic once who had concluded that his only choice was to remain celibate for the rest of his life to avoid sin. The degree to which he'd internalized the Church's homophobia was really sad and I've never felt the same about Catholicism since. There aren't many things crueler than teaching people that God hates them and made them to be hated.

4. lightning john profile image61
    lightning johnposted 13 years ago

If you want to be gay!  Do it!
    If you want to be a Catholic. Do it!

1. oscillationatend profile image61
      oscillationatendposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Uhh...hello?

Of course you can be gay and catholic. The Pope and Catholic church's actions prove it in regards to the rape cases. "Well, he likes boys--lets put him down in South America where they won't talk!"

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_BRMr2D3unLI/TCOQVxE4prI/AAAAAAAAAQw/mK61zpdtSaw/s400/online-predator.jpg

In all seriousness though, if you're homosexual and you think your religion may be against it, perhaps it's time to think about other dogmas.

There's plenty of other, more awesome, and no less valid religions to explore. wink

Not to detract from your overall point, but being gay and being into boys are not the same thing. Pedophiles are more likely to be attracted to children of both genders than they are to both children and adults of the same gender.

1. oscillationatend profile image61
          oscillationatendposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I very well know that. I used to keep tabs on a bunch of pedos when I had plenty of time to track'em down and Chris Hansen wasn't on the job. wink

I just couldn't resist to make the connection, I'm a proponent of poor humor.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)