Blog vs. Hub

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (38 posts)
  1. MrRichard profile image72
    MrRichardposted 13 years ago

I'm stumped on a question; should I devote myself to a blog or Hubpages?

I already have a blog that receives about 25 visits per day, and my hubs as of today receive 10.

Any opinions will be appreciated. smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this
      1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'll agree. smile

1. profile image0
          kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

me too big_smile

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
            Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I fourth the vote,the agreeance,  the amendment, the policy, the debate, the......wait.....did we form a quorum before deciding in this committee???? When was the pre-meeting, did I miss the meeting? DID I MISS OUT ON DONUTS ?????? ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHH

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What are you goals?  Money, community, spreadng a message...?

1. MrRichard profile image72
        MrRichardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Excellent question. My main goal is to help out people with their computer problems. My second goal is to make a little revenue if possible.

3. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I noticed that you have some contents on your hubs that appear to have been copied from your blog. HubPages requires original content, or you shouldn't expect any traffic from the search engines.

1. psycheskinner profile image83

Indeed, you blog page rank will take a hit too.

1. Misha profile image62
          Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Care to elaborate?

Google assigned lower page rank to duplicate materials--a certain proportion is fine but a blog that only has reprints will never rank all that well.

1. Misha profile image62

What exactly do you mean by "page rank" here?

2. MrRichard profile image72
            MrRichardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe psycheskinner is trying to say that when Google finds duplicate content on different websites, one of them will receive a "ding" on their chances of being in search results. My blog, being the smaller and newer of the two, will get dinged.

That's right.  Duplicates are not penalised as such, but they are often (not always) treated by Google as essentially non-existent and so will not build page rank like unique content will.

2. thisisoli profile image71
          thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not sure if thats particularly true, it takes a huge amount of copied content for google to nullify your Page Rank.

1. Misha profile image62

Oli, I sometimes wonder if we live on the same planet. On my planet PageRank algo uses only links, and nothing but links. smile

2. lrohner profile image70
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Um, no. It is true that HubPages expects and requires original content, but that's an internal mandate. I don't know what you meant by the statement you made about traffic.

In this particular case, I would bet that both the hub and the blog post will show up in Google. And since HubPages has more authority with Google, the hub will probably rank higher which most likely means more traffic. Eventually, one or the other will get dinged by Google for being duplicate content, but there's a good chance that the blog post gets dinged and not the hub.

1. profile image0

I stand by my statement. I did a search on the duplicate text, and it was the blog that came up in the search engine, not the hub. Besides, the duplicate content filter may lead to the hub being penalized.

1. Misha profile image62

WE, you keep misleading people...

1. profile image0

How so?

2. lrohner profile image70
            lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Feel free to stand by whatever you like. Just don't ask people to listen to it when it's wrong.

And penalized by who? HubPages' duplicate content filter has nothing at all to do with Google, Yahoo, Bing or any other search engine.

As for what site came up where, when I searched for the text without quotes, the blog came up #2 and the hub #3. When I searched with quotes, the hub came up first and the blog second.

3. Misha profile image62

Your original statement is false, and standing by it you continue to intentionally mislead. smile

1. profile image0

As you can see, I was talking about HubPages, i.e traffic to the hub - how is that statement false?

1. Misha profile image62

The part talking about Hubpages requiring original content is half true, the rest is false. Lisa did explain things to you pretty comprehensively, I am not going to repeat it once again.

4. 99desk profile image61
      99deskposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I will go with HUBs. In case I compare it with Blogger (Blogs). . Hubs are are good as Blogger.

2. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

perhaps a google search for "duplicate content myth" is in order

penalties or more appropriately lack of indexing are created for single domains - ie - google doesnt want multiple occurrences of the same article (front page, archive page, tag page etc) to appear within the same search return.

I often wonder if anybody actually uses google? - dupe content is uber common with aggregation sites, news articles, entertainment, gossip , press releases ... also many of the sites are very authoritative with high PageRank and high SERPS (results ranking in the search engine results).

3. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

it has been stated on several occasions that sites with large amounts of duplicate content will be penalized, the penalty is usually most commonly noticed by the page rank dropping to N/A. (Had this happen to me personally, twice).

Page rank is calculated by inbound and outbound links, however Google can also place penalties which de-index your site and/or nullify page rank.

4. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

Misha and Thisisoli, you both seem to be experts in this field, yet you can hardly both be right on this issue. It is pretty confusing for non-experts to find out who is right. If the issue could be settled here and now, that would be very helpful.

5. thisisoli profile image71

Not really, we both agree that Pagerank is based on links.  I think the difference is that I have been penalized by Google and seen both a PR4 and a PR 6 domain of mine get ground in to the dust as a result.

1. profile image0

Well, then I understand it better. Still, I am surprised that these kinds of knowledge and experience are not commonly shared among experts in the field.

2. Bill Manning profile image68
      Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have 3 sites that are the same topic. I got lazy and started to just copy each article to all three. After 6 months the other two that got the copies did not rank for hardly any phases at all anymore.

Now I'm making all articles different and slowly they are bouncing back. So dup content is bad. However I don't know why thousands of news sites can all have the same content yet be fine.

6. Kudlit profile image63
    Kudlitposted 13 years ago

Getting back to the topic, Blog VS. Hub

I find that Hubpages' Hubs get indexed quite fast and a little backlinking can easily rank the hub. If you choose to promote the same article using your own domain name, you might need to exert more effort to get it ranked.

You really have to think hard about what you want to accomplish. If  you want to get ranked quickly, using hubpages might be a better option because the search engine spiders are spidering Hubpages all the time.

The disadvantage is that you have less control over the lay-out of the page. If you're trying to funnel the traffic, you're better off using your own page because you'll have full control on how you lay out your page. Of course it'll probably take more effort to get that page ranked.

7. climberjames profile image57
    climberjamesposted 13 years ago

I would say both, I would have thought your HubPages traffic will easily outdo your blog but you can use the blog for valuable backlinks - that is what I do anyway smile

8. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

I often play the game of trying to get the same phrase to rank high in both hubpages and at least 2 or three blogs or websites. I write the blog, webstite content and hub on the same day. There is no duplicate content involved, and I really try to make them sound very different with varied writing styles.

There is no pattern to whether the hub or blog ranks higher after 1 month. Usually the hub is indexed within minutes, the blogs within hours, and the website within a day or two.

But from the second or third day it's anyone's guess as what the exact order of rankings will be or what will even be in the top 10. And those rankings change constantly.

It's the same thing for older content. I've had new hubs outrank PR4 webpages and then have the standing reverse after a few months.

After watching all this for 10 years, I just don't think that anything is that clear cut in the Google algo - and I think that is very much on purpose.

Personally I stay away from duplicate content, because I have had a few terrible and painful experiences. But that's just my perspective and if I was braver, I might be able to prove it wrong.

9. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

If you're serious about making money online, you need your own blogs, not Blogger blogs. There's no comparison about how they move in the SERPs. My own blogs beat a Blogger blog ever time out.

I agree Hubs beat a Blogger blogs.

10. thisisoli profile image71

I would write unique content on blogger and Hubpages, works for me.

I don't like to compare Hubpages and Blogger because they are different platforms, which I use in different ways.

I own my own domains, but to be honest I preffer writing for Hubpages, where other peoples content helps make yours stay fresh.

On my own blogs for instance I tend to think of most articles having a year lifespan.  Some last longer, but most don't.  On Hubpages when a Hub hits the six month mark it always starts to do better, and it keeps on pulling in more and more traffic.

11. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

funny this query came up. i just put together a strategy for "connecting the dots". I took a Hubbers advice about RSS/Twitter  and wham-o, triple traffic. There are some interesting tools out there...

1. thisisoli profile image71
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have just started using twitter, not so much for SEO, but in the vague hope of the Digg effect through Retweets.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)