What are your thoughts on the iPhone?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)
  1. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

I have considered purchasing one of these however I am not keen on the AT&T service. Can anyone give the pros and cons of this wonderful little phone? smile

1. sunforged profile image72
      sunforgedposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The At&T service is not required, you can purchase a phone that is "unlocked", which will allow you to place any SIM card into the phone and get service.

I regularly purchase iphones used, clean them up, run the unlock program (anybody can do this, its very,very easy) then sell on ebay for 350-500 usd....I usually purchase fro 200-250

If unlocking yourself seems like to much - simply buy an "unlocked phone", in order to add any application you want, you may consider getting a "jailbroke" or "jailbreak" phone too as this will allow you to use hundred of unlicensed apps on the device to.

The unlock service i use is called "ziphone"

1. Eric Graudins profile image61
        Eric Graudinsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm surprised that people are already getting rid of iphones. Why is this?

@AEvans:
        I've been looking at iphones for a while, but have decided not to get one at present
        In Australia, the bandwidth costs are the killer.
        See http://theinternetbloke.com/apple-iphon … alia-today

I'm very happy now using my Treo 750, which sat in a drawer for a year because it was bloody useless running under Windows 5. And the promised upgrade to Win6 kept getting delayed, and delayed, and delayed so I started using anopther phone and forgot all about the Treo.

After I found it lurking in a cupboard during a cleanout, I decided to sell it on EBay and installed the now available
        upgrade to Windows 6. After trying it out, I loved it.  The OS upgrade turned it from an annoying, useless phone into a brilliant , functional one. And the 150 megabytes bandwidth a month for a few dollars  is sufficient for me to use my gmail account extensively if I'm away from the office.

1. sunforged profile image72
          sunforgedposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I dont ask questions - BUT the last one i purchased was from a mechanic who was tired of feeling like he had to be so careful with it while at work since it was a touchscreen

Previous reasons related to at&t service..

Sometimes people just could use 200 -250 in cash right away. I use craigslist here in the states w/ a notifier program that sends specific terms directly to my email.

then my gmail notifier dings (if im here working) and when im away is set to sms to my phone ( my cell is stone age) either way, I usually contact the poster within ten minutes if im interested, money in hand.

1. AEvans profile image71
            AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

So the issue is not the phone but the service, that is my concern as well what are some of the major issues with AT&T are they large bills or just plain poor service?

1. Edwin Clark profile image62
              Edwin Clarkposted 15 years agoin reply to this

AT&T's phone service is reliable in NYC, in my opinion, as I've never had a serious problem. I think AT&T does cost more mainly because there is a $20 data usage plan per month that is tacked on top of your regular monthly plan. You have to have the $20 data usage plan or else your phone cannot access Internet.

Every month my bill comes to $90 tax included. As for traveling you need to swap out the iPhone's sim card and purchase a new sim card that works in the country you are visiting.

For example I travel to Asia a lot and I have to purchase a sim card in 7 Eleven's in order for my iPhone to work. A new sim card is cheaper overseas than the US. Keep in mind though you have to unlock your iPhone first or else the new sim card will not be recognized.

2. AEvans profile image71
          AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi Eric, What is a Treo750 who carries that one and are they available in the U.S.? Why do they charge so much for bandwith in Australia? I do an abundance of travel so this is why I ask. smile

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

I have a friend who has one and she loves it. We are in Canada so it isn't AT&T. She keeps trying to get me to get one. But I still have 2 years to go on my current cell phone contract. I may get one eventually.

3. sunforged profile image72
    sunforgedposted 15 years ago

I realize I never said any pros/cons for the iphone.

If you dont "jailbreak" and "unlock" then you will be paying for each and every app that you ad (there are many awesome ones and you may become addicted)

You can purchase an  "unlocked" phone from the Hong Kong ebay site as it is illegal to lock a phone to a carrier under their laws

Ive nevr kept them very long, I clean them, unlock them, test them at my local McDonalds (closest wi-fi!)
    and stick in my Tmobile sim and make one call to test. So I dont know much about their longevity

Its so incredibly easy to use, has a great speakerphone, has a great wi-fi , 30/month isnt to bad if you get the new 3g

the only con is the price if you buy it new!

4. Edwin Clark profile image62
    Edwin Clarkposted 15 years ago

iPhone is the best, I loved mine. I say loved because I lost it when I was on vacation in Thailand. I had on some cargo shorts with big pockets and I put my iPhone in there. I was in a taxi, got out, looked for my iphone to make a call and couldn't find it. By the time I knew what happened I was looking for the taxi but it was gone already sad

I'll probably pick up the iPhone again sometime after new year, I'm sure it'll be cheaper by than. If you need a phone just for conveinence then just get a cell phone.

The iPhone is a good choice for me because I listen to music everywhere I go. Being able to watch videos and movies is a plus too. Also, and I think I can speak for guys, the iphone saves pocket space in our pants.

I've never had any problems with AT&T and when I go overseas my phone is unlocked so I can just pop in a sim card and make calls.

5. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

So it is my understanding depending on the country that the cell phone service is different and it is also my understanding that you can purchase one of these on ebay. I am concerned about that as are you still able to get any type of tech support with the phone?

6. kyleko1234 profile image58
    kyleko1234posted 15 years ago

PROS
    iPhone has iPod service and can play movies
    Can watch youtube Vids on the go
    AT&T gives you rollover minutes
    App Store has Pretty Good Apps
    iTunes store accessible on the go
    Starbucks lets you download the song that is currently playing through the coffeehouse

CONS
    3G and EDGE are not the fastest connections
    Touch Screens only work with fingers and living tissue, but not styluses
    Lag
    Most Good apps on the app store cost money sad

7. Singer Boy profile image39
    Singer Boyposted 15 years ago

I have an iPhone. Here are some pros and cons.

PROS:
    Great Speakerphone
    App Store
    Great Layout
    Touch-Screen
    Great iPod
    Awesome Design

CONS:
    No Multimedia texting (picture messaging)
    Drops Lots of Calls
    Hard-to-Use Keyboard
    Almost All Good Apps Cost Money
    Bad Camera
    No Video Camera
    No Wallpaper for Home-Screen Background

I'm seriously considering giving mine up. But it depends on what you want and need

8. pjdscott profile image68
    pjdscottposted 15 years ago

Here in Europe we finally have an option for a non-contract (pay as you go) iPhone through legal means. I would love one of these devices but they are still hideously expensive, even if totally georgous and desirable.

I might be tempted if the iPhone's 2MB camera was upgraded to, say, at least 4MB, and video capability was also available.

Meanwhile, I wait for the next phase of developments from Apple...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)