Could Use a Little Perspective Here

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)
  1. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

Ugh - today is a busy day IRL, with little time for HP, but I've jumped in a few times (more than I should).  Wanted to use some of my limited remaining internet time on something actually valuable, so I decided to seek out external sites where I might want to promote my Hubs.  For the first time I checked out shetoldme, digg, stumbleupon.  I'm not interested just yet; maybe later.

But..... I did run a search for sites that might be interested in my topics - places that would naturally be interested in the things I write about (music first of all). Seemed like a logical place to start.

The problem is, the sites I checked were so wonderfully done, so rich, enticing and varied, that I now want to promote THEM, instead of telling them about my wonderful Hubs.

I know that I have a contribution to make, but I got a bit demoralized.  Has this happened to the rest of you?  What did you do about it?

[PS - Even though I've just now posted, I probably can't be back here for the next 6-7 hours.  Thanks in advance for any ideas.]

1. Pamela Kinnaird W profile image84
      Pamela Kinnaird Wposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I haven't found myself getting demoralized about writing, but I know what you mean because I get that way about art if I go to an art gallery.  Within one-hundredth of one second of stepping through the door I feel like giving up on any art projects I'm planning or doing.  I feel like, "What's the point?"  But I think raisingme's comments below are perfect and can apply equally to writing or art.  We are all unique.  Our contributions are unique.  It is the actual process of writing or creating art that we need to really enjoy.  It's the best part.  And then if it happens to strike someone just right, that's a bonus -- not the most important thing.

Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL - You said it!  The art gallery simile really speaks.

I think if I can just keep in mind that I am still learning some things that others have already mastered, but that I know things they might not know yet, it will help me to keep a balanced view.  I agree with you that enjoying the process is highly valuable, and I do that.  But I want to be able to move into new (new to me) areas where I can both contribute and also receive something back for my contribution. 

Primarily, I just need to remind myself that I really am a total greenhorn at this, and I can't expect myself to become an expert overnight - not that I ever will be one; but maybe I need to remember that I don't know how long it took for the experts here and in other locations to get to where they are today.

2. raisingme profile image76
    raisingmeposted 13 years ago

Well, the other sites may be all that and then some but none of them have been written from your perspective - which of course is unique.  The more viewpoints one has to view a subject from the closer one gets to having the whole picture.  By contributing your unique perspective you are contributing to someone else being able to get a bigger, clearer, more holographic understanding.  The more knowledge one has, the better their understanding the more their chances of success when they go to apply that understanding and knowledge in their own lives and into the lives of those they interact with and influence.  You are just part of the gift that keeps on giving so keep it up!

Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, raisingme.  I appreciate that.  Sometimes it's not so easy to keep that in mind - that is, that my perspective may help to round out someone else's. 

Some of my hesitation or insecurity does come from the business aspect of this, since I was looking at other sites specifically for the purpose of trying to create backlinks.  I really just need to select the right places to start and still at the same time be able to appreciate what the other awesome sites have to offer, without feeling intimidated by them.

3. raisingme profile image76
    raisingmeposted 13 years ago

And you can always keep in mind that you do know more than the one who knows nothing.  There are always areas of life where we have more knowledge than others and areas where we do not.  If everyone knew everything we would have no games to play and there would be no need for all but one of us.  Besides know it alls can be a pain in the backside!

4. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

lol lol lol lol

I think I've met some of the same people you have!  lol lol

Thanks

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)