Proper police procedure

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Reality Bytes profile image75
    Reality Bytesposted 13 years ago

I have lived near a city park for over ten years, right across the street as a matter of fact.  Lately there has been a crew hanging on the corner peddling heroin, marijuana and who knows what else.

I know this because they talk so loud on the phone I can hear them in my house with the tv on.  I can see the money and drugs changing hands.  Lots of cars pulling up and leaving.

Today I saw a Police Officer doing one of those cushy "I am gonna stand here in the road all day and watch these guys dig a hole."

I walked past him to the store and told him about the crew and that maybe someone could check out the crew?

He told me " It happens all over the F'in city WTF do you want me to do?"

Now understand in the past ten years there has been no noticeable dealing at this park.  Maybe a little bball playing, it is a nice park and I would walk through it at night with no worries up until now.

I told him "I just want you to stand there and watch those guys that are actually working finish digging their hole"
    I continued my journey to the store.

Now is my chance to point out the useless slug my city has put into a uniform.

I could not believe his reaction and the only reason I did not tell him exactly how I felt was the shiny badge but even more then that was the weapons around his waist.

Respect for the badge, but guys like this deserve to be on the unemployed rolls and let a real man police my city!

SRY 4 da rant

2. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 13 years ago

I would have personally reported him, another waste of taxpayers money because they feel like they don't want to do their job. Who knows maybe he is getting a few bucks on the side and if he is, it will catch up with him. smile

Reality Bytesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Repercussions,  you do not cross the popo.

3. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

When we as citizens see something like this and do nothing about it it shows that we deserve the police we have instead of what we want.  At a city park, presumably full of kids, yet!

Report the sorry SOB to his superiors.  If the street corner isn't cleaned up in a few days start writing - newspaper, TV, mayor, governor, whatever it takes.  You have PAID and paid well for safe streets and don't have them.  Take some control.

4. ilmdamaily profile image67
    ilmdamailyposted 13 years ago

Wow.

Sounds like it's time to start dealing.

When the men with guns are this indifferent to it, and the established operators so unbeleivably flagrant, it seems like there'd be a real opportunity:-)

Like Ricky Bobby from Talladega Nights:

"I'm also thinking about getting a gun, and dealing crack. Being a crack dealer. Not like a mean crack dealer, but like... like a nice one. Kinda friendly like, "hey, what's up guys? Want some crack?"

5. Reality Bytes profile image75
    Reality Bytesposted 13 years ago

What really gets me is their are speed stops all over the city.

Are the police simply a source of revenue?

Not the police themselves but do you think the city would transfer resources from law enforcement to the issuance of fines?

Consider this, once the dealer buys his house and beemer and boats and stuff.  The big raids come and the various law enforcement agencies seize the property {profits from the sale of drugs} and sell it at auction pocketing even more revenue.

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You have the same issue then..isn't that strange? You can't get the police to do normal policing - catching criminals and preventing crime, but they have plenty speed cameras and stupid road bumps to catch the unwary driver out, as if they are the real criminals.
      Get handed a huge fine because their camera said you were travelling at 2mph over the stated limit, but the drug dealers on the street corner get left alone.

6. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I think the police all over are under orders not to touch the small time dealers.
    I drove a taxi on the night shift in Glasgow for 20 years, and one day walked into a police station and gave them a huge list of addresses of dealers. They thanked me for my trouble, but took no action.
    10 years later the streets were riddled with dealers - like at least one one every single street - three quarters of my punters were junkies, no-one ever got prosecuted, the politicians described it as a major catastrophe, and the worst of the addicts went on to a new methadone program.
    Someone was making money out of all this misery!

I walk alot.  I see a lot of deals done at convenience stores and meet ups on the street.  The convenience store would have pics and plates right there for evidence.  Why wouldn't the convenience stores submit.  I am sure they do not want deals on their property.

Not to mention the guy that is going to come in and rob the store is one of those customers doing their transactions close by the store.

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If the public can see it, trust me so can the government.
        They don't want to touch them...and I want to know why?

7. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 13 years ago

I really think laws should be rewritten regarding a lot of crimes since some are totally ineffective and actually help the criminal tongue hmm

8. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Is it just me, or does anyone else see the irony in this discussion when a few posts away everyone wants to legalize their own drug of choice, marijuana?

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
      Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

wilderness - when bootlegging was illegal, there were turf wars like we are seing in Mexico. When alcohol was legalized and regulated, the problems (mostly) went away. There IS a difference.

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're right, Doug - most of the problems and crime associated with production and distribution went away.  I just found it ironic that in this thread everyone wants the pushers out and in the other one everyone wants it legalized.  Funny, at least to me.  I'm just twisted, I guess!

2. Reality Bytes profile image75

I would rather have drugs legalized then thugs running the streets for sales territory.

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, it won't matter there in any case.  The thugs won't go away, just find another illegal product to push.  Untaxed cigarettes, maybe, although something tells me that City Hall would crack down pretty hard on that one.  Gas perhaps (remember the gas crunch in the early 70's?)

Perhaps!  Maybe some of them would use their entrepreneurial spirit to create small businesses of their own that are legit.

9. Doug Hughes profile image60
    Doug Hughesposted 13 years ago

A few years back I drove drug dealers from the home next to mine. I agree with the OP - it's not hard to spot someone who is selling. First,  I let them (the dealers) know I objected to the business they had set up. I talked to neighbors. When someone made a buy, I would call the police and ask to have a car sent out. And I would talk to the officer at the car, pointing at the offending house and describing the buy. No, the officer couldn't *do* anything. But it made the dealers nervous to know they were ID'd and under observation. When someone would pull up - not even turning off the engine - I would walk out with a pad and pen and be writing down the license number. "What are you DOING?" . And I would tell him. I'm not saying I was or wasn't armed. 

They moved out. I was bad for their business. You want to keep your neighborhood clean - you better be willing to claim it early - the first time you see trouble. If you wait until the area has turned, you probably can't take it back.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)