Oil Clean up and Government Morons

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (43 posts)
  1. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 13 years ago

"The ship arrived in the Gulf on Wednesday, but officials have wanted to test its capability as well as have the federal Environmental Protection Agency sign off on the water it will pump back into the gulf. Although the ship cleans most of the oil from seawater, trace amounts of crude remain."

Yeah the EPA needs to sign off on the filtered water going back into the Ocean.  Best to wait a few days while millions more gallons dump into the Ocean.

God forbid the filtered water isn't perfectly clean.  Better to let the fully saturated petroleum drift at sea.

Apparently there is no real URGENCY to the Gulf Problem.

Eventually the well will run dry and then the problem will be solved.  Until then the Federal Government can play their politics.

Does anyone believe that any other Country wouldn't already be all over this problem?

1. profile image0
      china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Whilst it is infuriating to watch the process I am sure that nobody is deliberately holding up the job on this.  The problems of doing anything at that depth of water to stop the oil are immense, the issue of how they were allowed to do it in the first place without better back-up plans are a big question howwever.

Cleaning oil from water is also not so simple. If a high proportion of oil is emulsified it can cause more problems than the original crude. At least oil floats and so can be collected for disposal, even unfortunately if it means it is collected from the beaches.  The whole ecosystem is at risk, we can see the surface and of course it looks bad but the underwater ecosystem is just that, underwater, and it is possible to pollute that with far worse effects than the visible spill.

1. Sab Oh profile image57
        Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

" I am sure that nobody is deliberately holding up the job on this.  "

Why are you sure?

1. psycheskinner profile image84
          psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

1) Null hypthesis is the default position
          2) lack of motive
          3) lack of evidence

The can't just ignore the laws even if they want to.

2. Jim Hunter profile image60
        Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Some people will make political hay over this as long as the oil is bubbling to the surface, so in that regard it is beneficial for some to use stalling tactics.

Or not

1. profile image0

Too many experts around the world who know what is what and who are watching - if there were any stalling somebody would be screaming by now - complete with diagrams and powerpoint !

1. Jim Hunter profile image60

Lots of people are screaming, maybe you aren't listening.

1. profile image0

I mean underwater drilling and pipeline experts not noisy politicians and armchair experts.

It doesn't take underwater drilling and pipeline experts to know when a stall is occurring. the Governor of Louisiana asked very early on to build barriers to prevent oil washing up onto land and was waiting right up to the moment he decided what was in his States best interest.

That is not occurring at the federal level, but then again it never has.

2. Sab Oh profile image57

We already know for a fact that some decisions have been deliberately made that have delayed response to this accident.

1. profile image0

And the decisions that delayed things were ?

Refusing to temporarily suspend the Jones Act, for one.

2. profile image0
      atdurbinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Now it is important to test the ship used for skimming before it is ready for the gulf. What about the other steps used in testing to plug the oil? They did not hesitate to do these things. This resulted in worse results. How can the ship make the oil  gushing into the waters worse?
      I think it is a load of shooey. I say let the skimmer work. If it does more than Bp, so be it.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Your attitude about the whole situation is so annoying, as is many others.

If you think any other country would have a better response to the problem? Then I would suggest to pick a different delusion. That's not one you can argue about, because in fact you have no clue what another country would or would not do.

The EPA is just another major contributor to the problem in the U.S. and has been for years. The corruption within it, the abusive tactics used, are not much better than that of political officials.

As for the "well" drying up? You are kidding right. Do you have even a clue to as how much oil is actually below the well? If not, then I would suggest you refrain from making such statements.

Other than that...enjoy. I am sure you'll have others who will probably agree and disagree with you on this topic. Either way, I hope you find whatever it is you're after. hmm

3. Dame Scribe profile image55
    Dame Scribeposted 13 years ago

Unfortunately, yes, the corporations have to recoup their lost $$$$$$ somehow so will take whatever method is best to recover as much oil as possible without care of the oceans, ocean life or ocean livlihoods. sad  Cagsil smile hugs!

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

All profit from recovered oil is being put into a fund for conversation work in the affected area, it should be at the pumps soon. That was part of the Obama deal.

1. profile image0

Gotta love those typo's big_smile    Fuel for discussion huh !  big_smile

4. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Dame Scribe (hugs) smile big_smile How are you today? smile

5. Dame Scribe profile image55
    Dame Scribeposted 13 years ago

Its 93 dgrees around here n I is wilting, tongue lol lol hope you're well. big_smile Happy July 4th!

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much and I am doing well. smile tongue'

Edit: Hope your 4th is good as well. smile

6. Reality Bytes profile image75
    Reality Bytesposted 13 years ago

Accident?  Check back 30 years to 1979? OIL SPILL in the Gulf? Over 30 years and we are still stumbling over the same obstacles?  Please GET A GRIP on reality?

1. Dave Barnett profile image57
      Dave Barnettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nothing in what has happened should surprise anyone. the oil companies have long held the whole world hostage like a drug dealer to a junkie, and Washington helped. Oh, by the way HAPPY FOURTH!

So, how many accidents on this scale have there been in those 30 years?

1. Reality Bytes profile image75
        Reality Bytesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It seems like the same problem happened thirty years ago in 300 feet of water.   Technology has improved dramatically in these years except for oil drilling?

1. profile image0

The only issue with the depth is that a human diver is limited to depths of around 500 metres.... If the Deepsea Horizon was within that range it could have been fixed manually by a team of divers. That is the primary argument really, why have we started deepsea drilling before working out how to deal with faults? There is plenty of oil remaining in various places, such as Alaska, which could be drilled first. I suspect that it is all a game to retain wealth for the future, keep the prime inshore or coastal reserves for another couple of decades...

"There is plenty of oil remaining in various places, such as Alaska, which could be drilled first. I suspect that it is all a game to retain wealth for the future, keep the prime inshore or coastal reserves for another couple of decades..."

So, all the enviromentalists who have been trying their hardest to prevent driling in Alaska are really playing "a game to retain wealth for the future"?

1. profile image0

Or maybe following a promoted idea that then justifies this kind of thinking.  In another thread we were discussing what would happen if the economic situation got so bad the dollar collapsed - if you can't buy oil at a time when stocks are running low and the price going up - having your own reserves would be a really good idea. Just discussing the possibilities of possible 'if' situations, in that particular scenario keeping a national hoard of oile might not be such a bad idea ?

So, TWO accidents in 30 years?

7. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

All I have to say about this entire thread is.....

"It wasn't the Exxon Valdez captain's driving that caused the Alaskan oil spill. It was yours." - Greenpeace (Advertisement)

Same applies.

And pointing fingers and assigning blame cleans up the oil how?

Like I said, political hay!

1. profile image0

And you have been on a beach today cleaning up seabirds then have you Jim? Or are you just being a keyboard warrior like the rest of us? People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

No Ryan, I have not been on a beach today cleaning a seagull or any other type of sea critter, its not my job. I have also not blamed BP or the POTUS for the spill or rather rupture of the oil. I do however recognize a political tactic when I see one.

1. profile image0

Whose 'job' is it exactly to clean up seabirds? The last time I checked that wasn't a viable career route.

My point is that me and you can sit here all day on our computers, using energy, criticising other parties for a tragedy caused by our own consumption patterns... but we are no better than them...

We demand, they supply, sometimes something goes wrong. It needs to be cleaned up, I don't know how, but I have no right to dictate who and how it should be done. I would perhaps earn that right if I was a customer or shareholder of BP and they held profit from me, or had flown out to do voluntary clean up work, but I haven't.

Sitting on a Hubpages forum doesn't clean up oil either.

I know what your point was and agree with you, to a point. spending time placing blame on who is at fault serves no purpose other than to make someone look bad and create the illusion you are in command of the situation, the POTUS has clearly done this and continues to waste time assessing a situation that he does not understand.

I guess those unemployed in this country would jump at the chance to clean the birds and at the rate we are going in stopping the flow of oil, it may turn into long term employment.

1. profile image0

Well perhaps you have touched upon a possible solution to certain economic problems caused by this disaster.

Maybe the profits from the reclaimed all being sold should be used to employ the jobless in the communities effected to help with a shoreline clean up.

That only sounds fair to me. They lose their livelyhood, and should be compensated directly by being given the opportunity to work towards restoring their now dead industries. And I mean those who worked in tourism and fishing of course, as well as numerous others.

It keeps money in the local economy and provides those now unemployed to retain their pride and dignity. The loss of a job can mean much more than a loss of an income, it can cause a loss of identity and often cause severe effects on mental health. Pay them all to restore their own economy.

Sounds perfectly logical and viable to me.

Very well said!

Yes, but, if BP continues to slide in the market, they could declare bankruptcy protection, then nobody gets zip.

2. Dave Barnett profile image57

Actually, I tried to sign up to help, but BP was firmly in control of the process., and I wouldn't work for them. I would worl for LA, MISS, ARK,and FLA. I'd work for the fed for that matter. We, and I mean everyone who is a citizen, should not allow drilling any deeper than man can physically go, and that is why we got a major prob.

So drilling closer to shore should be allowed?

Actually, I prefer horses, and no drilling should be allowed. Our culture just rips through everything like a bull in a china shop. Pretty soon the place will look like the planet Trantor from "Dune" Sandworms, anyone?

Um......huh?

2. Jim Hunter profile image60

Its kind of funny to think that going back to riding horses is somehow a more sanitary time.

The fuel used to operate a horse was expelled in the damnedest ways and places, nothing like horse feces all over attracting flies while you are BBQing on the 4th!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)