How long before we say 'enough'?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (47 posts)
  1. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 11 years ago

A few days ago I got a visit from a twenty-something young lady who looked, acted and talked like she'd been dipped in a vat of liquid starch.  She announced she was from the EPA and with out preamble informed me my cattle could no longer drink from the creek that runs through MY pasture as they MIGHT contaminate the water.  We were standing out on the kitchen porch so I pointed to several of the cows that were visible in the field and told her, "There they are.  Go tell 'em."

I've had cows for 35 years on this same property.  To my knowledge not a soul has died from cow contaminated water.  Far as I know not a soul drinks the creek water.  There has been no fish-kill as the result of cow poisoning.  When is enough enough?

We're being told what we can eat.  What we can drive.  How much we can drink (no more 'Big Gulps)', New Jersey even has a $1000 fine if you don't put a seat belt on your pet.  Soon we'll be told what to wear and where to live.

I've got a mom and dad and common sense.  Let the government do its job and keep their nose out of mine.  So far I've done a much better job than they have.

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Vulnerable people do die from E.coli which is common in cattle feces.

Many questions arise.

Why would people be drinking untreated water from a stream? Or are people irrigating crops with this water and consumers are not washing the crop?

Another question is did your visitor suggest taking water from the stream in a way that did not risk fecal contamination?

Also what makes you think it is your stream and your water?

Especially, if you do not appreciate that contamination can occur.

The more we are all crammed together on this planet, the more these issues will arise.

tobey100posted 11 years agoin reply to this

There are obviously those who believe we need to be 'protected'.  The majority of us know how to protect ourselves.  The majority of us know to wash vegetables before eating them.  There are 310 million people in this country.  How many die each year from cattle feces E.coli?  Have we reached the point where we have no responsibility whatsoever for our own well being?  Your argument doesn't hold water.  By your logic no one should be allowed to drive as statistics show they 'might' have an accident and injure someone else.  Example:  in the lake near my home a teenager, not wearing a life jacket, fell out of his boat and drowned.  Instead of enforcing the requirement to wear a life jacket while boating, the county banned boats from the lake.

Oh, and the creek does belong to me.  It originates on my property and terminates underground on my property.  It's not even on the waterway map for this area.  The only way the EPA chick knew there was a creek was she spotted it while driving by and took it upon herself to inform me I was endangering the planet.

1. JSChams profile image61
          JSChamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Now you have to learn how to handle these things better. After all they know more than you do. They have been to college and have a degree.  They have become enlightened.
          Furthermore who really owns anything? It belongs to the world.....no....the universe.
          Trust me when I tell you they are the main purveyors of male bovine feces.

Love it!!!  lol

2. Will Apse profile image88
            Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

People who have been to college are certainly scary. We can make a little ghetto here where we will be safe.

It always works best if they mix a little common sense in with the degree.
              I know those that do.
              The folks at the EPA and other various places don't care anything about common sense.

2. profile image0
          PrettyPantherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm a little confused.  You said she informed you that your "cattle could no longer drink from the creek that runs through MY pasture as they MIGHT contaminate the water."  How did she inform you of this prohibition?  Just verbally?  Did she cite you?

Later you go on to say:  "The only way the EPA chick knew there was a creek was she spotted it while driving by and took it upon herself to inform me I was endangering the planet."

Your account of this doesn't really make sense to me.  Did she leave a business card?  Did she tell you what would happen if you continued to let your cows drink from the creek?

1. American View profile image61
            American Viewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe if you did not change the sentence you could understand it

" informed me my cattle could no longer drink from the creek that runs through MY pasture "

Make sense now?

And yes, the EPA does inspect waterways no matter how large or small without an appointment.

Pardon me....did I understand you to say they do colonoscopy's without appointment?

Oh my bad I read it again.

big_smile

2. profile image0

I didn't change the sentence; I copied and pasted it.  I was merely questioning the behavior of the "EPA chick" as reported by Tobey100.  Tobey100 has a history of, shall we say, "invention."

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/44022

Even so, I know that bureaucrats can be stupid, so maybe that EPA chick belongs in that category.

1. American View profile image61
                American Viewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

PP,

What is your point, what Toby 100 wrote in that link you provided is 100% true, that is what Obama wrote in his book. So how is he inventing anything?

You claim you didn't change the sentence you copied and pasted it, then how come when I copy and pasted it came out different than when you did?

1. profile image0

This is getting ridiculous.  Read the OP, then read my post with the sentence in quotes.  If you still think I changed it, then you have a serious reading problem.

As for Tobey being 100% correct in the other thread, you are 100% wrong. Did you read my correction in that thread?  You know, the one with the actual quote from the book that I have in my library?

2. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely agree this is stupid, it should be the responsibility of the EPA to prove that your creek is actually endangering people or contaminating other waterways, you mentioned it runs off underground, underground springs can appear a long way away and potentially contaminate other waterways, but they should have to prove it before they can do anything.

3. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I said enough almost 10 years ago. Now, I'm out to expose the frauds known as politicians, and the backers of said politicians, so as to break the "status quo" in America.

America will not see true growth until the "status quo" is broken. All growth will be nothing more than a scam from Wall Street, pushing dollars from one location to another, and make the bankers(powerful and wealthy) more money, making it appear as if growth is happening, when in fact it's pure manipulation of the marketplace.

The Economy- supposedly based on equality, yet is skewed toward the powerful and wealthy. Thus, making more difficult for anyone who wants to do business within America's Economy.

Yes, I have had enough.

4. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ah the libs slowly abridge our basic freedoms bit by bit.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/598850_382089725182725_345458102_n.jpg

2. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 11 years ago

Seat belts on pets??? But it just as bad over here, one local council refused to let a town put up bunting for the Diamond Jubilee because a full risk analysis hadn't been done and it might hurt someone if it fell down - death by bunting?  Another example is a charity took a group of learning-disabled teenagers to the beach for the day, but they were told that they couldn't let the kids paddle because it was too dangerous.  There were two adults for every teenager and the kids were more than capable of understanding and following instructions.

1. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I actually do put "seat belts" on my two yorkies.  They are small and tend to jump around in the car and can be quite distracting.  So I have little doggie seats for them in my car. 

But, that doesn't mean I'm not feeling like we are being ruled and regulated to the point of insanity.  Every aspect of our lives is becoming controlled. Some day we won't even be able to step outside our front doors without the proper permits, and protective gear.  You can't protect everybody from everything, but somebody out there will pass a law that will try.

3. innersmiff profile image66
    innersmiffposted 11 years ago

It is already illegal to pollute another's property and can be solved by insurance. Once we have set the precedent that some busy body can come into someone's private property and tell them that their cows can not drink from their own creek then we truly are on the road to serfdom. As the road to hell is paved with good intentions, the road to fascism is too. Life is a risk, but if you find that fact so horrible, consider this: you could probably prevent anything unfortunate happening on the planet, but this would require a police state so horrific that our very humanity is destroyed.

Excellent point.  I do not doubt their good intentions.  I'm quite sure Hitler wanted to create a utopia for the German people.  Castro as well for the Cubans (who according to reports have seen their monthly per capita income rise from $16/month to $19/month).  Somehow we've fallen into thinking the goverment knows best.  I work with the Tennessee State Legislature every single day.  These people are not smarter than anyone else.  They're not 'experts' on anything except maybe what their chosen field was before they were elected.  Being elected to an office doesn't mean you know what's best for the rest of us.  It means you're now the office holder.  We are slowly but surely giving up every right we've been guaranteed at the founding of this country.  I can assure you I'm not alone in rebelling against the nanny state.

By the way, I was informed by Miss EPA that unless I complied I could be prosecuted or fined.  I told her to send me the bill and wait for payment.  In a nice way I then told her to get off my property.  Can't wait to see what happens next.  Tune in next week!

Did she show you any official ID or was she just off her meds?

I grew up in Tennessee and there was a day and places over there where she might have gone in with that message but she would have been fortunate enough to only have been verbally corrected about it. There are families that have owned there land out there for hundreds of years.

My family is one of them.  We settled the this valley before the Civil War and have lived here since.  We own about 3000 acres that has never been developed other than our houses and outbuildings.  You can't even find my property unless you're lost.  Our road is not on the map as it's technically our driveway.  Very nice.

So she just happened by huh?
            Were I you my Volunteer brother I would keep my eyes open. That wasn't random.
            See none of these putting up a fuss believe this is a problem. Government wants you to stop letting your cows drink so just let them all die.

Then ship their carcasses to the EPA.

Oh and don't forget how do you know it YOUR land?

4. Reality Bytes profile image73
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

Yet, the government puts fluoride in our drinking water!

5. Xenonlit profile image61
    Xenonlitposted 11 years ago

You do not mention that your ag runoff contains more than cow urine and poop. I just took a trip to Stockton, where there are many dairies. They are reeking, foul nightmares. 

There is also the fertilizer that you use on your silage. How many other pesticides and herbicides are you using, then running off into the one creek? Roundup alone is a chemical nightmare. The more you use, the more you will have to use because roundup makes weeds that are resistant to roundup.

Your creek meets up with other creeks to run your collective junk into the rivers and then to the sea. It is the aggregate, not the individual farmer, who is causing troubled waters.

The public that has not gone crazy from racism and tea partying is fully aware that there are  more cows, chemicals and crap now then when you started and so do you!

I don't care how long you've owned your land. What an irrelevant argument. You do not see the problems that you create because the problems are downstream and out of your sight. 

Let the EPA do its job and speak up when you have troubles with compliance, so the problems can be worked out. Otherwise, you get no sympathy from me just because you have been polluting the waterways for a hundred years.

How sweet.  This ain't Stockton, we don't use chemicals of any kind, you've never been here, the EPA can mind its own business, and you don't know what you're talking about.  I bet you truly believe cow flatulence is destroying the ozone layer.

1. Reality Bytes profile image73
        Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Worshiping Authority, if the government says it, it must be true!

6. Reality Bytes profile image73
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

Corruption and Fraud at the EPA

Truth suppressed by fraud and intimidation

The Big Lie has been maintained by outright fraud and the persecution of scientists attempting to speak the truth. In 1990, Dr. William Marcus, a senior scientist at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, was fired for exposing a coverup in a government study showing that fluoride causes cancer. In 1992, EPA ignored the union representing all 1200 scientists, lawyers and engineers at EPA's Headquarters, when the union provided evidence of scientific fraud in the development of the fluoride in drinking water standard.
    How the truth is suppressed

The powers that be work overtime at maintaining the Big Lie with some fairly simple, but effective techniques: outright fraud and coverup, and initimidation and persecution of scientists and other professionals who dare to speak the truth. One of the best examples of the use of these techniques can be found at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in Washington, D.C.
    In 1990, Dr. William Marcus, senior toxicologist in the Office of Drinking Water at EPA, was fired for publicly questioning the honesty of a long-awaited government animal study designed to determine if fluoride causes cancer. Upon examining the raw data of the experiment, Dr. Marcus found clear evidence that fluoride causes cancer, and suggested that a review panel set up by the government to review the data had deliberately downgraded the results. He was vindicated in December of 1992 when Administrative Law Judge David A. Clark, Jr. ordered EPA to give him back his job, with back pay, legal expenses and $50,000 in damages. EPA appealed, but the appeal was turned down in 1994 by Secretary of Labor, Robert B. Reich who accused EPA of firing Dr. Marcus in retaliation for speaking his mind in public. Reich found among other things that EPA had shredded important evidence that would have supported Dr. Marcus in court. The original trial proceedings also show that EPA employees who wanted to testify on behalf of Dr. Marcus were threatened by their own management. EPA officials also forged some of his time cards, and then accused him of misusing his official time.

http://sonic.net/kryptox/politics/carton.htm

You've only scratched the surface Bytes.  Great post!!!

7. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I think the better reason for protecting streams is that it leads to better fishing.  You get better spawning with overhanging foliage and cooler, cleaner water. I find it weird that the first thing cows do in water is pee.

8. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Everyone gets one free poisoning?

So someone will be poisoned no matter what? On a piece of property where he has established the creek begins and ends there and goes nowhere else?

1. John Holden profile image60
        John Holdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nowhere else!
        You sure about that?

Are you?
          A bureaucrat  drives by a farm and sees cows grazing nearby and drinking from it and of course government intervention is imperative?

I'm sorry but that's just from the realm of the dangerous.

1. John Holden profile image60
            John Holdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well unless the creek is a closed circuit,constantly recycling the water, no,I'm not sure.

2. tobey100 profile image60

JS, their talking about even though the fresh water creek runs into the ground it has to come out somewhere.  Yes indeed it does I'm sure.  It is also a proven geological fact that water is purified by traveling though the ground.  I promise, the first time someone (we have no neighbors within 12 miles) calls me to say my cows made them sick, I'll eat the dang things.

9. junko profile image69
    junkoposted 11 years ago

They would have to tell me and give me papers that explain in detail way after all these years my cows can't drinked from the creek. Than I would if I could or should get angry and fight for my right. Local, county, city, town, parish,state, and federal Governments some times over reach.

You read my mind Junko.  My intent exactly.  If they can prove it, key word being prove.  Not perhaps.  Not maybe.  Not might somewhere down the line.  A radioactive meteor might hit my barn tomorrow and contaminate this entire portion of the county but I'm not selling and moving.

10. ngureco profile image80
    ngurecoposted 11 years ago

Water, including rain water, is not subject to absolute ownership.

You may end up paying a small tax so that your cows can continue drinking water from that creek.

11. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 11 years ago

I say "enough" at telling women what they MUST do with their bodies!

Anytime an R complains about his/her freedom being trampled on, gvt telling him/her what to do....blahdy blahdy blah....it's all twaddle.

What is more a personal liberty than your body?

They lost me at hello.

1. Bob Zermop profile image68
      Bob Zermopposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Um, I see very little connection here, besides the fact that liberty has to do with both. I'm for small gov everywhere, including both private property and abortion. Any contradiction there?

1. lovemychris profile image76
        lovemychrisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah---they're for THEIR liberty...they don't give a twaddle about mine!

THAT is not liberty!!! That is faux liberty...liberty and justice for them.

That's why their complaints fall on deaf ears. They only care when it affects them.

Even the Pharisees do that. Be they perfect, like their Father.

12. Bob Zermop profile image68
    Bob Zermopposted 11 years ago

I agree with some previous posts that because the creek might flow onto other people's land, private property laws should allow for some regulation. But in the bigger picture, I'm completely agreed that the gov is overreaching on far too many levels. Liberty is always going to have to be fought for; there's always going to be some well-meaning Stalins and Maos out there.

13. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

I still wanna know if Miss EPA talked directly to your cows and what they said back.
    Cows are notorious for not understanding language above 9th grade level.
    smile

1. profile image0

Correction:  "EPA chick"

Miss EPA is wa-a-a-a-y too formal.

14. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 11 years ago

This story is totally believable....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)