did you hear this in the mainstream media...?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (16 posts)
  1. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 13 years ago

profound accusations and proof against Kagan...

http://www.aul.org/2010/07/video-yoest- … -hearings/

complete transcript of Yoest testimony against Kagan's confirmation

http://www.aul.org/2010/07/transcript-y … -hearings/

1. kerryg profile image84
      kerrygposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Only if you believe all abortions should be illegal. tongue

I don't know the circumstances of the ACOG incident, but it sounds fishy to me. I personally know a couple women whose lives were saved by late term abortion, and my own aunt was at high risk of becoming one of them. Saying that it is "never" medically necessary is bulls***.

If it comes down to a choice between the mother's life and the child's, every doctor who deserves the title would choose the mother, and governments (state or local) should not be stepping in and making that decision for them!

1. Flightkeeper profile image67
        Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know, I think the mother would want to say to the doctor to save her child even at the cost of her life.

Some would, but that is their CHOICE. Nobody forces them to get a late term abortion if they are willing to accept the risk, just as nobody should force women who are NOT willing to accept the risk to take it anyway. What if they already have children? You really think they should be forced to risk leaving their living children motherless just to continue carrying a fetus that may or may not even survive to full term, and will be brain dead if it survives the birth?

The fetus could even be already dead - the "partial birth" technique is one of the standard procedures for removing a late term miscarriage.

Late term abortions make up only 1% of abortions for a reason - they're a last resort when something goes seriously wrong:

http://www.ourbodiesourselves.org/book/ … ;compID=39
          http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/blog/2008 … -realities

I don't think it is completely their choice at that stage. AFter three months, a baby can live outside the womb.  To assume that the baby is dead is kind of taking it for granted. However to say that the government shouldn't step in and make the decision for her sake and not the baby's sake at the late stages is kind of silly when you expect the government to support you at an earlier part of the pregnancy for those who want the abortion.

After three months? Where on earth did you hear that? The most premature baby ever to survive was born at 21 weeks 6 days and had some pretty serious, lifelong medical complications as a result. Many doctors will not even attempt intensive care to save any baby born after less than 24 weeks. At that point, you've still got less than a 50% chance the baby will make it, and even if it does, it's likely to have lifelong disabilities.

Additionally, if you had bothered to read the articles I linked, you would have noticed that one of the women's babies died while she was waiting for a second opinion to be able to get a late term abortion. It had omphalocele, spina bifida, anencephaly and would never have survived outside the womb even if it had made it to full term. You've probably heard of spina bifida. Anencephaly means the baby was missing a significant percentage of its brain, skull, and scalp (basically, everything above the level of the eyebrows); omphalocele means the intestines, liver, and other internal organs aren't inside the body cavity but instead are contained in a sac protruding from the navel region.

The other woman's child had spina bifida and hydrocephalus. It might have survived outside the womb for a few hours or days, but more is unlikely. In cases like these, some women do elect to continue with the pregnancy, but others don't. Who are we to judge them?

1. IzzyM profile image86
                IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Kerry that is spot on. Babies don't survive at three months. I've just published a series of hubs around pregnancy and childbirth and everything you say is fact.
                I'm against abortion, but late term abortion to save the life of the mother, or where the baby has abnormalities incompatible with life is perfectly acceptable, although tragic for all those concerned.

2. Flightkeeper profile image67

Sorry, it was a typo. I meant to type 6 months.

2. Vladimir Uhri profile image59
        Vladimir Uhriposted 13 years agoin reply to this

kerryg are you a physician? Those who are in business to perform of partial birth abortion are not ethical and not reliable. They will defend their work. We have the technology to determine ahead the risk. The birth is normal process and do not harm.

1. psycheskinner profile image82
          psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Honestly I think anyone who has never/not in relation to medical conditions does not know what they are talking about.  It would be a nice tidy world of pregnancy was never dangerous and abortion doctors just liked killing babies for money, but I am amazed that people really believe this.

Seriously!

I'm not a doctor, but as I said, I've known a few women who had to face that choice and I know how agonizing it was for them. I think it's disgusting that people who have never been in that situation feel justified in condemning them and denying women in similar situations the right to make their own choice about what level of risk to their own life and health they are willing to accept.

2. SparklingJewel profile image66

...my main points are Kagan's agenda driven ideals and her lack of experience as a judge...she is not a sound nominee for sitting on the supreme court

Unfortunately Sparkling, you never know how judges will adjudicate once they are on SCOTUS.  What were once thought to be conservative picks weren't so conservative. As for competence, one only has to look at Justice Souter's record.  The man had written nothing during his time even though he was a judge for many years prior to being on the Supreme Court whereas Justice Thomas is more prolific even though he has only been there for a short time.  His only experience was as a judge for one year on the appeals court.

2. kerryg profile image84

I have my own reasons for being disappointed in Kagan's nomination, but Yoerst's main objection seems to be that Kagan is pro-choice and there's nothing wrong with that.

If she used her position inappropriately in the ACOG incident, that's a different matter, but I don't know enough about it to judge and I'm not going to take the word of a committed anti-abortion ideologue for it!

The whole thing sounds fishy to me - "partial birth abortion" isn't the technical medical term for the procedure, for starters, and it is also one of the standard techniques for removing dead fetuses following a late term miscarriage, so the proposed language she supposedly changed sounds like it may itself have been a politically motivated addition. Regardless, the language she supposedly changed it to reflects actual medical reality much more accurately. "May be" does not mean "is," after all.

3. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

I think it is horribly sad when a woman is faced with that choice.  My mom was in the early 60's and I was the baby.  The doctors told her that one of us would not survive the birth (most likely me) due to complications.  Well, here I am and my mom lived until I was 18.  Back then there was no choice for late term abortion and my mom was a strict catholic so it would not have been a choice for her.

I've known two woman who were carrying babies with serious medical conditions, both discovered the medial conditions late in the pregnancy.  The babies died prior to birth & both woman had to go through labor to deliver their baby.  sad  So sad.

4. SparklingJewel profile image66

...not intended to bring up the abortion issue again..but since it is here to stay, obviously, my stance is still that until everyone recognizes the the soul's right to be born, that we are spiritual beings first and foremost and that individuals have the right to decide whether to pay for one for others, perform one on others, or have one...it will not be a settled issue.

there is insurmountable karma in not recognizing the soul's right to life...do something about it before there is a pregnancy, teach our children better than how we have lived and dealt with abortion

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)