What money? You mean writers make money?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (18 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Gracie Sophiaposted 13 years ago

I once sold two short stories for $30.00 each to a small relgious magazine. That's it for me so far.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cograts on your sales.  $30 is good for a short story.  I make royalties from some small press books which adds up to around $200 a month.  Not big time money, but useful.

2. Suzanne Alicie profile image60
      Suzanne Alicieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This writer does. I am actually making a living as a freelance writer, making more than I make in my "real" job as a property manager for rental homes. It can be done- check out my website for a list of sites that pay and job boards where you can find freelance jobs. It's fun and profitable.  freelancewriteronline(dot)info

3. Maggs3petts profile image58
      Maggs3pettsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Compared to the $1 per book I received from publishamerica - that's a fortune.  Good for you.  My recent experience with publishamerica has made me feel like I'll never write anything again.  I have three other books part finished but I might just burn them.  I thought getting my first book published would make me feel could but publishamerica have ruined this.  So I'm asking everyone out there DO NOT buy a book called, "Ma's Secret' - it could have been a good read - it should have been a good read BUT pa refused to accept the final version with essential changes to it and are publishing it their crappy way - so I'm boycotting it and asking everyone else to do likewise.

2. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Writers don't. Marketers do. smile

3. coeline profile image59
    coelineposted 13 years ago

I make money through writing by writing for clients. I post ads at craigslist.com and other job sites, join freelance writing sites like odesk.com, elance.com, etc. and I earn either per hour, per article or per bulk.

I am also an independent contractor, with a team of writers I work with.

1. torimari profile image66
      torimariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Great tips. You should write a hub on this. I think it would be a hit because a lot of people here are looking for freelance ideas, but don't know how to kick it off.

1. coeline profile image59
        coelineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thanks! sure, I'm laying out the contents of the hub about it. would love to share whatever I could to those who need some tips. smile

4. NathanSyckel profile image60
    NathanSyckelposted 13 years ago

Check out TextBroker. I'm not going to link it but if you want to make a little bit of money for your writing there is plenty of work there. Granted you won't get paid much but if you can get rated quality score of 4 you can get $7 to $8 for a 500 word article. Like I said, it's not great but it's money. Hell, if you wrote 10 articles a day thats a good living you could make.

Problem, writing 10 articles a day can be a challenge especially if they are on topics you aren't interested in. You really have to be skilled at staying on task and completing jobs on a deadline. It's a challenge, BUT it is worth it for me. I make a few hundred extra dollars a month this way which really helps.

1. CASE1WORKER profile image61
      CASE1WORKERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

pity its for citizens of the USA only- looked quite fun

5. Nera Woods profile image83
    Nera Woodsposted 13 years ago

I've been writing for 2 clients based in Florida since last year when I lost my corporate job. Also, there's this new online magazine where I submitted two articles last week and I was paid nearly $25. I wrote about this in one of my 6 hubs.

6. Karanda profile image78
    Karandaposted 13 years ago

My first real paying writing job online was found on Suite101 in February. Maybe I was lucky in being in the right place at the right time. $20 per article for 500 words is not a bad income especially when they asked for 50 articles per month. But gosh, it's hard work. The articles come in batches of 10 or 20 and are all on the same subject. Try writing the same thing in a different way 10 times then do it again next month! This is not an easy task. Getting paid for writing is hard work but to give copyrights to someone else when there is so much residual income to be made makes me wonder if I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

7. Csjun89 profile image59
    Csjun89posted 13 years ago

Writers do if they keep at it!

8. BeccaHubbardWoods profile image85
    BeccaHubbardWoodsposted 13 years ago

I make very good money writing. I'm a freelancer and get paid $20 per 500 words. I can write 10-15 articles a night, and support my family of four. The only problem is I spend a lot of time staring at the computer screen doing research and typing the articles up. My neck and eyes hurt a lot lately. sad it's worth it though.

1. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I only write on the web now, but in the past I have sold technical articles to computer magazines.  That paid a LOT better than $30 for 500 words. 

I don't remember how many words the last one I sold was, but it was typical magazine article length and I got $1,200.00 for it and that was back in the 80's.

I'd suggest you look into tech writing.  I have no idea what they are paying now, but I suspect it might be better than $30.00 :-)

9. M. T. Dremer profile image84
    M. T. Dremerposted 13 years ago

The only money I've ever made for my writing was a contest I won at my community college. They paid $100 for the first place winner. I tried a writing job that paid per article, but I never got paid and they never contacted me again after the first 5 articles >.< then I tried a different money-from-ads website, where I inadvertently broke one of their rules and was never paid any amount. Now I'm here at HubPages, religiously following their rules and patiently awaiting my first payout from google. Who knows when that will be, but I'm determined to make it a reality.

10. Natural Write profile image60
    Natural Writeposted 13 years ago

Actually, I'm writing a series of articles on freelance writers and their (our) pricing problems. If anyone's willing to share privately with me their experiences. The articles will be around the topic of the gray pricing line, or gap, that exists in our setting standards and communicating with each other.

I think it will benefit the entire community, the more we're able to share and support.

Thanks!
    Jenny

11. Peter Hoggan profile image70
    Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

I think Misha and Suzanne Alicie are pointing the way, that is, along with writing ability you need to be able to market yourself.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)