How do we fix global warming? Medicate it or make a lifestyle change?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (18 posts)
  1. ceciliabeltran profile image64
    ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

My husband and I had a debate about global warming. He thinks we should spew out sulphur dioxide to cool the earth (as in the case of pinatubo) He claims a source said that in 6 months the problem will be over.

But acid rain is caused by sulphur dioxide and it will poison our potable waters.

I say we need to drastically naturalize our way of life. solar and wind energy instead of fossil fuels, recycle. stop using plastic altogether or make organic ones. but according to him, by the time the 50 years are over we will all be dying from a heated up earth.

Just recently the sun's activity slowed down that cooled europe unnaturally.

I think if we medicate and cure the global warming with sulphur dioxide and then the sun's activity progressively slows down. we are facing death by ice age.

Though i admit I don't many things about the environmental issues, I'm interested to know what you guys think.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I for one am not convinced that man has a significant effect on global warming.  Natural causes seem to far outweigh whatever we can do as evidenced by your comment about the sun.  Volcanic action not only produces heat but CO2.  While I don't doubt that we have an effect, I don't believe it is a large one.  Yet.

Having said that, however, I also think that it would behoove us to make changes.  I question the concept of renewable sources, however.  While it would help, consider that very nearly all the energy we use eventually becomes heat in one form or another.  The energy loss of transmitting electricity over long wires turns to heat from resistance in the wires.  The energy needed to just maintain speed in a car is due to resistance from air and ground; it becomes heat.  When you brake the car the energy lost from slowing down becomes heat.  The light we use eventually becomes heat when absorbed by a solid survace.  Even body heat from billions of humans plays a part.

Individually, all these sources of heat are extremely minor, but the aggregate sum, it seems to me, is bound to affect the global temperature to some degree, and that degree will continually rise as we use more and more power in one form or another.

2. tobey100 profile image59
    tobey100posted 13 years ago

Ignore it!

3. profile image53
    Kimberlly01posted 13 years ago

According to the IPCC reports, we must reduce the worldwide output of carbon dioxide to less than one tenth of present day emissions if we are to have any chance of stopping the man made component of Global Climate Change.

It would be undesirable to use military force to enforce a worldwide ban on the use of fossil fuels.

However we can accomplish the same thing if we can force the prices of fossil fuels so high that is no longer economically feasible to use fossil fuels such as coal, oil and natural gas.
    http://www.globalwarmingsurvivalcenter.com/

4. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

There's only one way to get rid of global warming once and for all...take out the sun!

5. chigoiyke profile image60
    chigoiykeposted 13 years ago

The problem of global warming is that waste/gas emissions are drastically towering up so reducing the trend will not lead us to ice age

6. Studio E profile image56
    Studio Eposted 13 years ago

you have no control over the earth or universe you can set off every bomb and explosive device on this planet known to man and it will amount to an ants fart, the human race will be gone but this planet will remain so stop buying into the hype its all about the rich making more money off of you ( carbon credits ) man want to be god so bad he think he can destroy this planet. NOT!

7. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

It is really easy - the world just stops making all the junk we don't need and selling it to each other, everyone goes onto a 2 or 3 day week and most of the polluting activity dies down. How to do it is another thing smile

1. Sab Oh profile image57
      Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So easy! A monumental increase in poverty, hunger, crime, and human suffering would really help the environment!

roll

8. Beelzedad profile image59
    Beelzedadposted 13 years ago

Here's an interesting read regarding the alleged "global warming" problem. Enjoy. smile

"he Little Ice Age (or LIA) refers to a period between 1350 and 1900 when temperatures in the Northern Hemisphere were between 1.0 and 2.0°C cooler than at present. A NASA website that provides details on current research reports that "during the Little Ice Age, access to Greenland was largely cut off by ice from 1410 to the 1720s. At the same time, canals in Holland routinely froze solid, glaciers advanced in the Alps, and sea-ice increased so much that no open water was present in any direction around Iceland in 1695."

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/ctl/resource1000.html

9. zrichards profile image61
    zrichardsposted 13 years ago

Wilderness, I think you're a bit confused about global warming. Creating heat is not the problem. It's the fact that the proclaimed change in the earth's atmosphere is keeping the heat in. And by heat I mean from the sun, not heat from all the wires and cars in the world.

I'm pretty skeptical about global warming. Just because an observatory in Hawaii graphed an exponential rise in ocean temperature from 1958 to the present, doesn't prove anything. The Earth is a couple billion years old. Looking at data from even the past couple thousand years regarding temperature is like looking at a one day chart of the stock market and then deciding we're in a recession. You have to be able to see the whole picture to make any sound judgment in this case.

10. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Global warming? I do not agree it is a problem.

Therefore nothing to fix. However, a lifestyle change is coming anyways. smile

11. Evan G Rogers profile image62
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

it's really not that hard of a problem to fix - you just gotta put up some light-reflectors into the upper atmosphere. At minimum the problem could be solved with about a few billion dollars of investment. I would imagine that we could send solar-panels out into orbit, and they could generate energy while at the same time absorbing sunlight before it hits earth... or just pump some chemicals into the outer atmosphere that would reflect light.

All of this "hey, let's make life miserable by making you have to pooh in sand and then use it in a compost pile" (If this isn't a law now, it was seriously proposed out in california) and "let's make it so that light bulbs suck", and that sort of legislation really isn't the best solution.

The best solution is to hold businesses accountable for their waste, but do so on a free-market. All of these kyoto-protocol things are pretty stupid in that it puts government in charge of everything. The way it has to work is to allow people who are being affected by pollution (CO2, etc) to sue (and win) against companies that are polluting. That way, pollution has a true market value.

A side note: My father is the Ohio State Climatologist, and I've asked him about global warming. His response was "well, temperatures are going up, but not at the speed that global warming would suggest" ... so, for anyone claiming that there's a consensus on global warming, you're wa-a-ay off. (He isn't saying it's not true, he's simply pointing out the wide variance between the theory and the fact)

12. dahoglund profile image71
    dahoglundposted 13 years ago

If anything learn to adapt to it as it is a natural recurring phenomenon that has occurred throughout the history off the world.

13. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Medicate the proponents smile

1. Dave Barnett profile image58
      Dave Barnettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Let's all play whack a mole. Seems to be working rather well in the gulf. Bandaids, the problem has grown a little beyond spraying a little air freshener. Let's just upset the balance until noboby can fix it. De industrializing the world, and that is impossible to do because of the midset.

14. Jim Hunter profile image61
    Jim Hunterposted 13 years ago

Everyone could open their doors and windows and run the A/C, my dad use to warn me if we left the door open we would cool off the whole neighborhood. Just think what we could do if everybody did it.

15. jamescecilbaldwin profile image61
    jamescecilbaldwinposted 13 years ago

As i've said before almost all the heat we get is from the sun.It may be in the form of wood and coal, or gas but it had to come originally from the sun. stop the absorbtion of heat from the sun by the earth and you solve the problem. it is too late by the time its turned into carbon which is a heat absorbing material. Stop the absorbtion of heat by the najor bad guys such as asphalt roads reflect it all back into space with white roads.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)