Is Cigarette smoking worth the risk?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (49 posts)
  1. stevenjones05 profile image56
    stevenjones05posted 13 years ago

Do you think cigarette smoking is worth the risk?

1. psycheskinner profile image85
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No.

2. olivia39 profile image53
      olivia39posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Personally I don't believe in smoking.

3. caroline22 profile image57
      caroline22posted 13 years agoin reply to this

The only reason you would lose weight by smoking is because you smoke instead of eat.Smoking does nothing but kill you.

4. profile image51
      ethanleeiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Of course!! one cigarette lessens the five minutes of your life. This is the risk involved in smoking.
      http://www.healthproductreviewers.com/r … eanse.html

5. spiderpam profile image74
      spiderpamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In a word, no

6. profile image50
      Dyl123posted 13 years agoin reply to this

no way!

2. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

No.

1. allison24 profile image57
      allison24posted 13 years agoin reply to this

No also! smile

3. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

What difference does it make?

To begin smoking in today's society, one cannot be help know what they will be doing to themselves.

So, it boils down to choice. wink

1. taylorsweets profile image54
      taylorsweetsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hmmmmm smile

4. KateKarmin profile image60
    KateKarminposted 13 years ago

Life's too short to be thinking about risks before taking a puff to unwind!

5. arthriticknee profile image66
    arthritickneeposted 13 years ago

Society's perception of certain activities such as sun bathing and smoking have changed so much in recent years. Older smokers can argue they didn't know the risks and / or accept them.

Young people taking up smoking have no such excuse. It is a tax on the ignorant where the currency is years of your life.

Smoking (and caffeine) actually protect against some neurological conditions such as Parkinson's Disease but this is of course irrelevant if you don't live long enough to get Parkinson's. Stick with the coffee people.

6. Cuselax profile image60
    Cuselaxposted 13 years ago

i agree.  The badass persona of smoking a ciggerette is being switched with the notion that if you smoke you might be trashy.  I simply believe smoking is a personall choice and should not ever have to label people.  Some people like caffeine, others like ciggarettes, and some need both.

7. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

No plus your breath smells, your teeth turn yellow, and your skin wrinkles easily.

Sorry.

8. Polly C profile image91
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

No, I don't think it's ever worth it.  Smokers might say that you have to die of something, yet smoking doesn't usually lead to an immediate death, but a low quality of life that can drag on for years. Imagine if you couldn't even walk to your own bathroom, literally metres away, without taking half an hour to get there because you can't breathe well enough to go quicker. That can be the reality.

9. telltale profile image61
    telltaleposted 13 years ago

It's definitely NOT worth it.  When young, it's cool to be hanging with people who smoke, and join in, but if addicted, it's not only the cost, but the breadth - totally nauseous to non-smokers.  Moreover, I have friends who are in all kinds of health issues, more due to smoking than anything else.  In a country without proper health care plan, it can be expensive for something which could be avoided.

10. ohmygoodnessrae profile image60
    ohmygoodnessraeposted 13 years ago

For me, personally, I don't think it is. There are absolutely no benefits to smoking, but there are many cons. It just isn't worth it.

1. brandon125 profile image60
      brandon125posted 13 years agoin reply to this

well, its likely correct smile

1. ohmygoodnessrae profile image60
        ohmygoodnessraeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Plus I get really sick around cigarette smoke . . haha

1. allison24 profile image57
          allison24posted 13 years agoin reply to this

it really affects the lungs..

11. vydyulashashi profile image58
    vydyulashashiposted 13 years ago

cigarette smoke has high amount of carcinogens and it will cause cancers.

personally smoking is worth a risk.
    it will reduce the appetite and you will be reluctant for eating.this is the major reason that people will become slim who are chronic smokers

12. akirchner profile image92
    akirchnerposted 13 years ago

Having smoked for a while in my youth (long past), I can understand the addiction because that is what it is.  It did keep me slim and definitely took away my appetite, but it also made me stink - and made me irritable when I could not smoke. It also aggravated my bronchitis.

As Cagsil said though, today, we all know the risks and the health benefits are zero while the rate of developing cancer sky rocket.  As in all things I look at the addiction possibility and the potentials for not only cancer but arterial disease, stroke, etc. and give it a pass.  As much as I'd like to light up sometimes, the cons outweigh the pros every time for me.

13. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

no, not considering all the adverse effects including the cost $. it seems many who smoke are least able to afford it.

14. ExpandYourMind profile image69
    ExpandYourMindposted 13 years ago

Nope . . . increased chance of major illness and death -- cancer, lung disease.  Increased medical costs borne by everyone.  Ton of money -- the price of a pack continues to rise along with sales taxes.

15. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 13 years ago

Smoking is considered bad which really it deserves. Actually cigarette contains Nicotine and smoke compound.
    Nicotine is not bad, really its not. Its a lower level addiction.

The main thing is Carbon Mono Oxide which is created from partially burning and which causes cancer.

Cigarette is bad due to this reason, and it definitely decreases your life. If you say that life is not without risk then why you fasten your seat belts while driving car and why you drive carefully...
    Well addiction of anything is bad and smoking addiction is one of the worst thing.

16. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

I have to come in here - I have never heard such a load of b*****ks regarding smoking - it is a politically generated stunt that boggles the imagination.  What the **** does it have to do with YOU what I do to MYSELF !!!!!!!! 

To not smoke around you and your whining over-indulged kids, your whingeing little shrew of a wife is OK - I would not want to impose my occasional wafts of cigarette smoke into the fuel and industrial polluted air that you seem to like so much.

But out here in the open air, sitting at my table with my wine and my food that I ordered and paid for - go find soemwhere else to sit!

And I have been almost given up for nearly two years - and I still get p***ed off with the whole fabricated baloney.

17. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

is it worth it?  what kind of question is that? 

Oh, sure, definitely worth it!  and worth getting told off because you do it a bazillion times, too!  eh? are we leading this into another forum to get people posting as many cliches as we can come up with?  what's the prize for best or most cliches?

golly, kids!

1. stevenjones05 profile image56
      stevenjones05posted 13 years agoin reply to this

whatever you say lol

1. mega1 profile image78
        mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

that was a real good one!  smile  excuse me while I step into my jello bath

18. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Cigarette smoking can be worth the risk if you know what you're up against before you start and you make an informed decision.  It's your choice, isn't it? 

Is it worth it to quit smoking?  Depends...how much longer is a persons life going to be? 

At the age of 72, is it worth it to have surgery to remove lung cancer?  Is it worth it to quit smoking afterward?  Before?  I think it depends on the individual and whats most important to them in life.  Everyone has the right to choose for themselves, don't they?

Don't mind my rambling....I haven't been online all day!  lol

1. Misha profile image64
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You make the most sense on this thread IMO smile

1. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

eh, that's what I get for being an ex-smoker!  lol   big_smile

(BTW - I'm not 72, lol, that's referring to someone I know)

19. Disturbia profile image59
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

Whether cigarette smoking is worth the risk or not is entirely a personal choice.  What's more important to you, the pleasure you get from smoking or your health?  When you are young and healthy you may not care that your breath stinks, your skin is aging, or that you are causing damage to your lungs and heart, but your point of view might change some day when you find yourself suffering from lung cancer or heart disease.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's not your personal choice. Your kid (or smb.else's) is sitting behind you and inhaling that sh*t! It's dangerous and expensive addiction(another clishe).

It hasn't actually been proven to be dangerous.  There are other causes of cancer and lung cancer.  As for addiction...I personally see that as a personal view on life.  I quit easy as pie, after the nicotine left my body.  Smoking is a habit and habits are choices.  A personal choice.

As for expense, let's just say there are a few people in this world who are more greedy than others and those people would be the ones who set the prices on the things some people choose to have and use on a habitual basis.  You know, things like cigarettes, gas (oil), housing, cars, health insurance.

Now, having said that, that is precisely the reason why smoking is quickly becoming an illegal activity, depending on where you choose to smoke.  Because one groups personal choice is more important than the other. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I quit smoking.  It was my choice.  I feel much better, physically and maybe even mentally.  But, I still feel the non-smokers choice takes precedence over a smokers choice.  Is it a bad thing?  Only when it infringes on a smokers right to freedom.

1. profile image0
          Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Smokers right to freedom? What about killer's right to kill? Or rapists right to rape, when they feel like it? You inhale poison, POISON!  And your neighbor too if you smoke, whether he likes it or not.There are lots of proofs. Just look for it. And it is not a personal choice, it is an addiction. My husband tried 5-6 times to quit, may be more, without any success. Until stroke and another addiction "finished" him. Of course if you smoke like one cigarette a day, light, it is probably easy to quit. Ask chain smoker to quit, most can't do it easily. Smokers right to freedom indeed!

1. camlo profile image84
            camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't be too harsh ...
            I don't blame people for being smokers, especially not if they started long ago. When I was younger, it was the thing to do, and if you didn't do it, you were the odd one out. Back then, even the Doctor's waiting room was a fog of cigarette smoke. If the Doctor smoked, he was smoking in his consultation room. People were smoking on TV. People were smoking on trains and buses. Elegant Movie Stars were smoking on the Red Carpet. It was everywhere. It was the sophisticated, grown up thing to do. And the government was promoting it for the revenue it earned. It seemed (seemed) a normal thing to do that wasn't harming anyone.
            It's a convention, but let's hope all the bans are making it a dying one.
            Back to the original question: The medical risks were confirmed in the 60s(?), but still the risk was being widely taken. What were the pros and cons of smoking? Not to take the risk would be a bit unsociable. Besides, smoking mostly only kills old people smile It was better to be a smoker ...
            Nowadays - we know the risks 100%. We're not encouraged to do it. There are few places we can do it (at home, outside). It is widely considered anti-social (the complete reverse of the old days). Why would anyone want to start smoking nowadays?  That, I really can't understand ...
            For those who started back in the truly smokey days ... many have succeeded in giving up, but unfortunately, some haven't because they really can't.

2. Rafini profile image82

Let's see, I smoked 1-2 packs per day for 25 years.   Does that qualify me as a chain smoker?

I'm not trying to say smokers have more rights than non-smokers, but at the same time I am saying non-smokers don't deserve more rights than smokers.

Seriously, if you think about it, smokers don't intentionally do harm to anyone.  It's the tobacco companies that do.  Why punish the smoker when it's the tobacco company that puts the poison in the cigarettes?  You honestly need to look at where the fault lies....

Who's to blame for a robber shooting the gas station attendant?  The gun maker or the robber? 

Who's to blame for a man raping a prostitute?  The man or the prostitute? 

Would smoking be such an issue if tobacco companies didn't add poison to their cigarettes?  Maybe they should be held accountable for what they do....

1. camlo profile image84

Nobody starts smoking with the intention of harming others. And once you've started, it's very hard to stop, in spite of knowing you're harming both yourself and others.

In spite of my not understanding why anyone would start smoking in this day and age, I do remember that I never, ever thought I'd become addicted to cigarettes when I started ... Now I know there are no exceptions - anyone who starts (not just tries, it takes a little more) will become addicted.

I don't agree with you.  When I started smoking, I told myself it was a habit.  25 years later, after living with a family of addicts (drugs, alcohol, food, gambling...) I managed to quit smoking on my first serious attempt by breaking the habit of smoking.  The first day was the worst when it came to nicotine withdrawal, after that it was easy - but I didn't trust myself for a couple days.  I really wanted to continue that habit!  But, I wanted to quit.  So, I did.

Smoking is a habit, once that's understood it isn't so difficult to quit - IF you want to.

1. camlo profile image84

Yes, I agree with you.
                  Smoking isn't a physical addiction for the most part anyway, so you have to be right.
                  But, it seems that not everyone can do what you have done, or at least not establish the frame of mind to be able to so.

Unfortunately, I agree with you about the frame of mind.  I think it's because so many people said it's an addiction so now everyone believes it.

2. Polly C profile image91
                  Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know...perhaps I shouldn't be commenting since I've never been a smoker, yet the people I have known who smoked seem to fall into two categories - for some it seems to be a persistant habit that they do at certain times of the day, every day, yet in the end can take it or leave it, if they choose to. Then there are some, like my partner who smoked for 22 years (starting at 14)  - for him it was a completely physical addiction that he tried time after time to get over. He never succeeded, the craving was too strong. Now he has not smoked for a year, but only after being prescribed Champix by the doctor, which he took for about 3 months (I can't rememeber exactly). He did want to  quit before, but never could.

I seriously see it as Mind Over Matter.  The addiction comes from the nicotine, but after 3 days of not smoking the nicotine is flushed from the system.  So, it stands to reason that smoking is a habit that can be very difficult to break. big_smile

20. themist profile image61
    themistposted 13 years ago

No of course it's not. I wouldn't recommend smoking to anyone. I started smoking with the intention of not getting addicted. I had just quit drinking and needed something else to do in bars/clubs when I was getting bored, I bought a pack and that was that.

I've wasted hundereds of pounds on cigarettes. In my opinion, I'm not addicted severely anymore, but I am addicted. There is something about smoking that has an appeal to me, but I can't explain it. I've cut down from 20 to 1 cigarette a day at the moment and I don't plan on smoking much more.

Filthy habit.

1. camlo profile image84

Yes, I know what you mean. In spite of a relatively healthy way of life, I do find it hard not to smoke most days.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)