Article Scores

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (27 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

Have noticed a very weird flux in article scoring over the last week or so. One article was 85, in less than 3 days dropped to 77. Another was also 80+ is now hovering at 70. I didn't alter the content in them and traffic is actually on the rise.

Second, I was wondering how-to get an articles score up to 90.
    Noticed a few veteran hubbers have quite a few.
    Is this a longevity issue or content issue?

Thank you,

James.

1. jasoncox83 profile image61
      jasoncox83posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Traffic, ratings people give you, and many other factors are considered into your hub scores.

2. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 13 years ago

Scores are not purely based on traffic, so to consider them just from that angle will never be productive.  Most Hubs have what I think of as a functional range.  They go up and down regularly within a rank segment.   Remember, no scores on HubPages, Hubs or Author, are ever fixed.  They are always fluid.

A very high-ranking Hub gets that way by being high-quality for numerous factors.  It starts with content, but how visitors interact and for how long is also important.

1. MartyWare profile image60
      MartyWareposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I created a Hub (growing tomatoes in pots) a few years back now and the score has stayed fairly steady.  I also created a video on youtube called the same name.
      In the YouTube description I placed a link there pointing back to my Hub which drives traffic there too.
      If it keeps getting traffic the score stays and stabilizes.
      Now I am not always that fussy with this,,,but if it works stick with it
      Anyway its a good model and can be duplicated.
      Marty Ware
      The SEO DAD & Creator Of The Hubpages Tribe!

2. Kimberly Bunch profile image59
      Kimberly Bunchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Valuable information!

smile

3. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I have hubs that have at one time been at 100 that fall back down to the 80s with no change in content.  Based on personal experience, it seems to have more to do with content and traffic than longivity.  You'll never figure out the rhyme or reason, but with as many hubs as you have you should be able to figure out some things that are common to your better scoring hubs to begin to figure out what works best for you.  Any of your hubs scoring below 70, try playing around with the length of the hub, tags, backlinks, etc.

1. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

KCC Big Country,

Thank you.
      That is what I was thinking -tweaking the low scoring ones or strengthening the strongest ones- without 'overcooking' them.

2. lender3212000 profile image60
      lender3212000posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've also had hubs that have fluctuated between about 80 on the low end and a perfect 100. I can tell you that Hubpages seems to like a lot of unique content with a mixture of text, images, and capsule types. Even if all of that is in place, you will be destined to be trapped in the 60s or 70s if you don't generate much traffic to your hubs.

4. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

Relache,

Thank you. So what can I do on my end to keep that fluidity high in the HubGlass -so to speak? Seems you have been here to see the ups/downs of it.

1. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your best bet, IMO, is to take a look at your strongest Hubs and then analyze the hell out of them.  They are going to be the best example of what works for your subject matter and writing style.  Then apply what you learn to lesser-performing Hubs, and watch them over the course of a few months.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

1. profile image0

Lather, rinse, repeat.

lol

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Twenty One, the more important question is - why should you care?

If you have a successful Hub, the HubScore will go up - because it's strongly influenced by traffic.  The reverse does not apply, i.e. having a high-score on a Hub won't bring you any more traffic, nor will it bring you any more money.

It will get you a bit more visibility within the HubPages community, and it's good for the ego, but it won't do anything for your earnings.

Relache's advice is good, but I'd be applying it to the Hubs that are performing best financially, rather than the Hubs which are performing best in terms of HubScore.  They won't be the same.

1. profile image0

Hi Marisa,
        Thank you.
        I generally care because I want quality articles --both for visibility on Hub Pages and reader satisfaction. A deep flux in the article value tells me something is necessary. Best to seek out advice from those elder in this than rely on my own opinion.
        The issue confused me because of the value being high, good traffic flow, then dropping, still with equal traffic flow.

My earnings are another issue altogether. Only 50 days into AdSense | Kontera, neither seem to be overly impressive. The few hubs actually earning the most, oddly, have a lower article score. But, like any new business, patience is the key.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

Twenty One, HubScore is NOT a reflection of quality.  HubPages has stated that HubScore is automated and therefore has no parameters to judge quality of writing.  Traffic is a big factor but that has a lot more to do with your search engine optimization than reader interest.

This forum thread might interest you:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/663#post2932

As for earning - a typical Hubber takes 9 months to a year to make their first payout, then it snowballs.  Don't ask me why!

2. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have some very high-scoring Hubs that aren't strong earners, and they have been just as instructional.  Looking at Hubs that did well for traffic and ones that earn well has taught me to make ones that do both.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
          rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think this is good advice, relache. not everyone has the same focus in writing. I like to know that I have given someone good, sound information, those are the readers that share and link our hubs to other sites or forums.

5. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

Some more ideas that MAY help.....see if you can find a related video on YouTube, or more links to other related hubs, or more sources for related information.  You're looking for anything that would make your hub more meaty and beneficial to the reader.  The hope then being that Google ranks it higher and drives more traffic, and that the components affecting the scoring method will result in a higher score.   All of this is just speculation on my part since we don't know the algorithm being used.

6. JerryDavid profile image59
    JerryDavidposted 13 years ago

I thought the hubscore is the combination of article quality and promotion strength. We all can create high score hubs.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

Not really.  The main components of HubScore are:

* Traffic, including percentage from sources outside HP
          * The length of the Hub
          * The uniqueness of content
          * The number of thumbs-up votes from unique users
          * The overall quality of the Hubber (not the Hub)

You'll notice there's no mention of the quality of the content, that's not something that can be judged by an automated filter.

1. Kimberly Bunch profile image59
        Kimberly Bunchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very good information.

7. CYBERSUPE profile image60
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

Thank You so much Marisa Wright and Relache for your time to explain these concerns to us new Hubbers. Great information and I hope to be able to someday give of my time to help others. Once again THANKS!

8. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

James, this is from the Help section about hub scores.
    I think quality [and interest] bring in traffic, quality is important. it can't be computed, but it can be measured by other means.

'HubScore takes into account many factors and will change over time as data about its performance continues to stream in. It will also fluctuate quite a bit, seemingly at random, and that is nothing to worry about. The most important HubScore components that you should be concerned with include:

*Amount of traffic - including percentage from reputable sources other than HubPages
        *The reputation of the Hubber - your Hubber Score and contribution to the community
        *The response of readers to your hub - including comments, thumbs up, etc.
        *The uniqueness of content - copying content already available on the web will be penalized

We reserve the right to change the factors used to assess a Hub’s HubScore as we continue to determine those that measure a great Hub. The bottom line is if you write original, useful content, your HubScores will reflect the quality and work you've put into them."

hope this helps.

9. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

hmm, I guess I was the last one here before.

I was just reading a few hubs in the best category and quite frankly, I was ready to vote one down. from a veteran hubber. the hub looks like it was modified from a AAA magazine or a travel article. I thought it lacked a lot, it was more just a list of cities and the hub had a score of 91. 
    the score doesn't always reflect quality. this one clearly brings in traffic with the title but even the comments reflected disappointment in the article. I didn't leave one.

10. profile image56
    Siew Chengposted 13 years ago

I give up caring about the article score.  My main concern is the traffic source.  Glad to see more readers from Google and Yahoo than internal traffic.

11. Cheeky Girl profile image65
    Cheeky Girlposted 13 years ago

The popularity of the subject is important. The appeal it will have to readers is important. How it rates with Hubbers here is almost the same as how it will be rated by readers outside of Hub Pages, who follow a link to your hub. I am presuming you have backlinks form a Blog or website. It has to be appealing, and the subject can be anything. Most of the miracle hubs I wrote that find popularity is total serendipity. I don't know of any formula.

Just write well on a good subject and have plenty of photos, art and videos included and if it is really good, then people will check your hubs out and rate you up.

How people rate your hubs is everything here. There's no law that says you can't adopt a style or humor and make it your own too, you know. The world is your Oyster here...

Best of luck in your hubs.

12. ross670daw profile image60
    ross670dawposted 13 years ago

It is fantastic to be able to learn from the expertize of successful veteran Hubbers here, rebekahELLE, Marisa Wright and others, if you only ask.
    What a great community. I am growing more fond of Hubpages and it's members everyday.
    Thank you all for your advice and tips.

13. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I just look at the percentage that are 80 or over.  When it falls much below 20% I make a very unpleasant face and that is usually enough to push it back up again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)