Should U.S. Citizens retain the Right to Bear Arms?

Jump to Last Post 51-74 of 74 discussions (230 posts)
  1. Liberian1847 profile image60
    Liberian1847posted 13 years ago

Note that any and all rights have the potential of abuse.The risks associated with terminating rights are higher then the benefits thereof. Before the 19th century cannabis started out as a lucrative cash crop. In 1970 under the CSA, they branded pot a Schedule I drug.Decades after that we all know how it is today.For centuries,the rights to bear arms has been one of the rights cherished by many Americans. Take this from them and behold.

2. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Better than me??

3. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Ya know, it's kinda funny - we Americans argue among ourselves here on these forums all the time. But let an "outsider" talk about the good ol' USA, and we unite! Look - even Randy and Jim are holding hands and singing "Kumbaya"!

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That may be stretching things a bit!  But I do like to hear the opinions of those from other countries.  As you know, I love to visit Jamaica and talk to the people there.  Now they have stories to tell!  We are very lucky!

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
        Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is stretching it a bit.

I don't mind other people from different countries commenting on ours.

But when its just them bashing because of their bias towards us I tend to get a little upset.

Especially when they spew the most ridiculous things like Britain stopped Hitler.

Britain stopped Hitler like the French stopped Hitler.

He stopped for a croissant on his way to England.

4. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

RD, one of my favorite things about my visits to Nassau was meeting the native Bahamians. We Americans are sooo lucky!

5. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I agree, Jim. I respect the opinions of others and often find views from non-Americans interesting. Like you, however, I don't like "America bashing."

6. alternate poet profile image66
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

Well - that united a disparate little group for the first time on these forums big_smile

The issue was about the right to carry guns, I know that there are all sorts of arguments put up for this but mostly they are out of date patriotic claptrap - or vested interests funding the campaigns of small groups of testosterone fuelled guys with mini winkies who think that holding a big gun compensates in some way.

Is it anyone's business outside America, yes it is - because it fuels support for the aggressive shoot-em-up foreign policies of your warmongering party who seem to get a president into office  every few years to cause untold death and suffering around the world.

The debate is stuck at the childish level that it is because of the media that lies to you (and us) and an inability to see further than the end of your own personal death tool.  I do not know any nationality outside the US that does not see that having vast quantities of guns in private ownership with little control is a really stupid idea.

Ever hear of Switzerland?

In some 2001 statistics, it is noted that there are about 420,000 assault rifles stored at private homes, mostly SIG SG 550  types. Additionally, there are some 320,000 assault rifles and military pistols exempted from military service in private possession, all selective-fire weapons having been converted to semi-automatic operation only. In addition, there are several hundred thousand other semi-automatic small arms classified as carbines. The total number of firearms in private homes is estimated minimally at 1.2 million to 3 million.[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politi … witzerland

Thats with a population of 7,782,900

7. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I've shared this before, but in case you missed it: My trusty shotgun saved me and my three young daughters one night from would-be intruders. They fled when I fired in the air, and we never saw them again. No one was hurt. Win-win situation. What if I hadn't been armed?? My husband was at work, and we lived in the boonies. It would have taken forever for law enforcement to arrive.

8. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

That is ridiculous?! Why would U.S. citizens want to arm bears?! This is preposterous!

1. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

To preserve the American way of life, silly

http://www.benwalkerart.com/BearWithGun_BG.gif

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

At least Governor Palin will be entertained.

2. readytoescape profile image60
      readytoescapeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We tried sheep first, but they kept wanting to run to Europe and surrender to the Germans and sleep with the Greeks. Then we tried Deer and the antlers keep screwing up the gun sites.
      And that's how we ended up arming Bears, besides, their claws fit better on the trigger.

1. Greek One profile image63

i miss those sheep

2. profile image0

Sheep are very smart.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
          Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And sexy...

Where's my boots?

1. profile image0

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn245/marie01_08/Images/SheepinBoots.jpg

1. alternate poet profile image66
              alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The boots should be on the other feet

1. profile image0

He borrowed them.

9. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Neither rain, nor snow, nor hail, nor sleet, nor concrete posts will keep American citizens from their beloved guns:

http://www.kcra.com/news/24657621/detai … 0108172010

10. Jim Hunter profile image60
    Jim Hunterposted 13 years ago

Its a good thing deer don't have thumbs.

They have a right to be pissed at us.

11. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Sing: Dirty deeds...done with sheep!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCRE9qOgbug

1. Ralph Deeds profile image64
      Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ha! I prefer the more dignified "Dastardly Deeds!"

2. Jim Hunter profile image60

"Here comes that mutton lover"

Bon Scott just rolled over in his grave.

12. Paradise7 profile image69
    Paradise7posted 13 years ago

You know, actually, no.  Americans shouldn't have guns.  We are way too volatile!  (But fun!)  big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

13. seanorjohn profile image72
    seanorjohnposted 13 years ago

No. Coz Americans can't be trusted to act sensibly. You will kill each other.

1. Paradise7 profile image69
      Paradise7posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey, let's not get hostile, okay???  Tthough you may have a point.  I see way too much violence in the news.  One young black kid, 11 years old, in my city, was sitting on his sofa, waiting for his mom to come home from work, and watching TV, and he took a bullet through the back of the head that killed him from a drive-by shooting.  God help us all, I thought.  God help us all!  When innocent children are killed like that.

That's partly why I said, and I meant it, NO, Americans shouldn't have guns.

14. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

"Should U.S. Citizens retain the Right to Bear Arms?"

Bear arms. Hmmm. Well, I suppose. Bear Arms include Bear Claws.
    And Bear Claws with coffee are tasty. I support the Bakers Dozen! :har-har:

Us and food!!!  We love it.  I feel so rich, just thinking about bear claws with coffee!

15. royalblkrose profile image61
    royalblkroseposted 13 years ago

the 2nd amendment states that bearing arms is a right, however, that right is tempered with the obligation to be part of a local militia- to protect the country. "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."- Amendment II U.S. constitution.

At the time the constitution was written, carrying, or having access to arms was an essential part of life- for hunting and self protection.
    the current culture of have gun feel powerful started in the 1800's when settling the West, and has stuck with us to this day.
    Responsible people don't usually brag about their weapons, unless they're enthusiasts, and responsible people usually live within the law...

16. Paradise7 profile image69
    Paradise7posted 13 years ago

Just don't think the boyos from the hood totin' the Saturday night specials are very "responsible citizens"!

17. illeagle profile image60
    illeagleposted 13 years ago

Why does everybody assume the 2nd amendment is about guns? It says 'Arms'. So, technically, any U.S. citizen has the right to arm themselves with any weapon that they want, including nuclear tipped intercontinental ballistic missiles.

They're hard to conceal, I tried.

Ha!  big_smilebig_smile

18. American Veteran profile image59
    American Veteranposted 13 years ago

I think Thomas Jefferson said it better than anyone else:

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Obama's version of government is the best example of why it important to have an armed electorate.  The Supreme Court upheld that as American citizens, we have the right to arm and defend ourselves.  Whether it's against schmucks bent on ripping you off, threatening harm to one's family or just to be a terroristic in their actions, when they know they may be shot or killed doing their bad old thing, the criminal element will select the easiest target -- the unarmed one -- and thus ensure that they don't get killed. 

And who knows, with the repressive elements of the Obamaniation of the current administration, we, as Americans, will use what we have against the tyranny of government if necessary.

Perhaps the most absurd rant ever posted on HP (and the bar was already pretty low). You might want to turn off your TV occasionally.

Its absurd but don't get too down on yourself.

You still have a lot to offer in the way of pictures and stuff.

You're confusing me with American Veteran?  Go grab some coffee.

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/8/6/633851180752281410-COFFEE.jpg

I don't really know what to say about that picture.

I'll just give you a standing ovation.

Keep it to yourself.

2. Greek One profile image63

LOCK AND LOAD.. THE YANKEES ARE COMING!!!

3. Ron Montgomery profile image61

Do you think the violent overthrow of a democratically-elected president is what Jefferson had in mind?

Are you perhaps mistaking George for Thomas?

19. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Should U.S. Citizens retain the Right to Bear Arms?

What's all the fuss about? hmm

Kiwis have been rolling up their sleeves for years! roll

Oosshit... you walked him into that one nicely Ron lol

Kiwis have indeed been rolling up their sleeves and donning their ewe boots for years. wink

20. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

You should know that only Colins, Rogers and Bruces handle the ewes that way! hmm

The other blokes go barefoot... smile

Kinky!

21. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Bare feet, bare arms.
    Are the ewes shorn, too?
    Sounds R rated to me big_smile

1. Dave Barnett profile image57
      Dave Barnettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Let's just ditch the bill of rights, it all seems to be largely ignored by one party or another. Misinterpretation by this faction or that adds to the confusion. What was unconstitutional in 1972 is just fine and dandy now. My fellow americans should wake up before not even We The People are helpless to prevent the downfall of our nation and all of it's fine ideals. If you want to curtail rights, go join a totalitarian society, or form one of your own. Give up my gun? All I have to say is "Lock and load, little buddy!"

22. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

arms and legs if they like. Just don't let em carry no guns oright?

23. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 13 years ago

I truely find it interesting that intellectual liberalism would still question and nit pick the rights of the constitution as written in America , Like it or not we have constitutional protections that other peoples and other goverments can only envy. And constantly do! My point is this , why do all other countries constantly expect big brother America to come to your rescue at each and every infraction of YOUR freedoms? Our moneies and our freedoms  are constantly spent to protect you.  And yet you still stand critically  against OUR hard won constitutional freedoms. Not yours , you haven't earned yours yet , ours ! We do not get to re-write our basic constitution , and niether do you. The second ammendment is a basic right, to guard against just this kind of political criticism and infraction of Agenda's of other governments and peoples . Like it or not I have a right to firearms , my countries forefathers [and my own fathers]sacrifices have earned them. Yours have earned your own rights , if you're lucky , stick with yours and leave ours alone.

Are you Sharon Angle?

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No.....

24. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

As a raging ACLU liberal, I have to say..

Yes.  Absolutely.  I don't own any weapons now but if they ever take away that right, I will be wanting to own them then.  And I will.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)