Someone's been on a clicking spree - worrying!

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Susana S profile image93
    Susana Sposted 13 years ago

Was just doing my normal morning check of earnings and my adsense account is showing about 75% more clicks than normal for yesterday. This hasn't equated to any more earnings than usual and I haven't had a surge in traffic, so it looks like someone's been on a clicking spree on my hubs/blogs/websites - not sure which as I can't actually see what's been clicked.

Should I be worried?

1. pisean282311 profile image64
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

contact google and convey to them..let them decide..dont worry...they would handle this...

Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks piscean - Yep I did contact google.

2. Haunty profile image73
    Hauntyposted 13 years ago

Not sure if this is helpful, but it's called 'click fraud' and if you do a Google search on it you may find something that interests you.

1. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

click fraud, implies intent by the publisher.

Susana is more in the land of "click-bomb"

I wouldnt be worried if this is the first event.

Some publishers like to send a report to google when they see suspicious activity, in order to cover their bases.

were the clicks rewarded earnings?

1. Haunty profile image73
        Hauntyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for clarifying. smile

2. Susana S profile image93

Thanks sunforged I was hoping you would respond with some advice smile Hadn't heard the phrase "click bomb", but yeah that sums it up. I can't see where the clicks are from except on the total in my adsense channels but it doesn't look like they got any earnings. When I look through each channel I can't see the actual clicks anywhere, nor in analytics, but I don't have all the google stuff linked with my blog and website so I can only see the click data with my hubpages.

I was wondering whether I should drop google an email to cover my arse - you think this is a good idea?

1. sunforged profile image70
          sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It seems Google auto-flagged the activity.

It doesnt hurt to show that you are an aware publisher.

https://www.google.com/support/adsense/ … ks_contact

3. TerryGl profile image58
    TerryGlposted 13 years ago

Should you be worried? Holly cow, is it just me or what.

Adsense returns huge numbers, its a business in reality. If your earnings are $50 or $50,000 you need to take this seriously. This is not mickey mouses schoolhouse.

Everyone should pay the money to have tracking software on their website to show logs of you or what ip is visiting your website.

The minute you lose your account is the minute to send your logs to the Adsense Team to prove you have suffered from fraudulent clicks.

You insure your house, your business and your home. Insure your adsense account.

4. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

https://www.google.com/adsense/support/ … r=62472#q2

TerryGi is  correct, Google does expect us to have some level of tracking on our end and provides free tools to do that.

If Hp is the site in question, then you would be at least able to figure that out by the tracking in your other locations and may be able to contact HP and ask them to check logs / block an IP.

It could have been a fan who thought they were helping or worse a competitor who wanted to remove your purpose for competing!

5. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I would just email Google and mention that you have noticed a rise of 75% in clicks without a notable increase in traffic, say that these clicks are not yours, and that you are worried about malicious activity.

6. Susana S profile image93
    Susana Sposted 13 years ago

Thanks everyone smile Your replies have been most helpful! I did email google and I'll also be looking into those tracking tools.

On a related point - today my clicks and earnings are higher than normal and I'm thinking they're probably fromm my HP sign ups. Is there any way of tracking that data?

1. thisisoli profile image70
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you can find a lot through Google Analytics, find out if it is yourself first.

Check the new Adsense interface as well, has some great graphs tracking different aspects of earnings!

Yep, I'm using analytics and adsense channels smile I can't find anything anywhere to account for extra clicks or earnings which is a real puzzle! This is the third day in a row that I've had a surprise when I looked at my adsense account.

The first day was a shock and looked like something was not right: a huge increase in clicks but no increase in earnings or traffic. The last two days have been nice surprises with about double the amount of clicks, double the earnings and a minimal traffic increase.

I can't see where these extra clicks are coming from so I think they must be from my sign ups.

7. sunforged profile image70

After checking the content/adsense tab in analytics if I cant discover "how" some earnings arrive, i often chock it up to referrals.

Its does seem like analytics and adsense ids are both shared inthe referral impression- as I have seen keyword strings of known referrals topics..that I never cover in my hubs or link to show up in my own adsense content reports via analytics.

but it could be a reoccurring fluke -

Hmmm, I wish there was some way of tracking data from my referrals. I can't find anything in my analytics to give me a clue to what's going on.

I kept wondering why I was selling so many ipad accessories through amazon, until I realised that one of my sign ups had written quite a few hubs on that topic!

8. sunforged profile image70

am I your referral?

I have the same problem but my referral is into digital photography equipment - he is a photographer  so his stuff is not just rehashes of product reviews,but  it seems to go over well with other photographers and more advanced hobbyists who have credit cards in hand.

I wish! LOL lol No it's a newbie who seems to know what s/he is doing (unless of course it's another of your accounts? tongue)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)