Free Will on Forums?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (51 posts)
  1. TruthDebater profile image52
    TruthDebaterposted 13 years ago

Do the hubpages forums show that you have free will? Or is every answer you are about to write already determined by how you are wired?
    If you wrote what you first thought of writing, then change the comment simply to write something different, is this free will or was it also previously determined?

1. srwnson profile image60
      srwnsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Depends on who is predetermining the writing.In my opinion, If you ask a question in which there are multiple answers for, it would be hard to say that the answer chosen was predetermined. God would know but it is doubtful would interfere with such. If your computer goes out while you're replying then, perhaps yes.

2. luvpassion profile image63
      luvpassionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

By how you're wired? 

What the H@#ll does that mean?

wink

3. ceciliabeltran profile image63
      ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

SHEENA IYENGAR

The art of choosing

This answers this question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fejditZY … re=related

2. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

No matter what you think or write it falls within finite number of thoughts. Think something random which is not at all related with any previous wired memory, if you do that then you'll invent free-will here.

TruthDebaterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. So this is proof free will does exist when inventing new thoughts?

1. skyfire profile image78
        skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What are new thoughts ? All your new thoughts are linked to previous one. Give me example of new thoughts and i'll let you know how it's related to previous.

Show me random, unrelated thought in mind and i'll accept that free-will exist.

1. luvpassion profile image63

...-...-...-...-

2. TruthDebater profile image52

Thanks. I thought you just suggested that free will exists when you wrote, "Think something random which is not at all related with any previous wired memory, if you do that then you'll invent free-will here."

Wouldn't random thoughts be inventing new thoughts? What do you mean by unrelated thought? Unrelated to memory?

When new inventions or ideas are made, aren't these new thoughts sometimes unrelated to any previous memories?

3. luvpassion profile image63
    luvpassionposted 13 years ago

I think (and skyfire can correct me) that the thoughts you have on subjects such as this are related to the stimulus..ie. question asked or query posed of the paragraph before. wink

Thanks. So do you believe there is no free will?

Heck no, I believe there is freewill... you have the free will to answer to the stimulus...or not!

(((hugs)))

smile

If you think there is free-will then whatever choices you made in your life falls within known set of choices which is part of probability that creator is aware of. In that case, how come it's free-will if creator knows about this? That's called cheating of creator not Free-will.  wink

2. TruthDebater profile image52

Thanks, I needed that. (((hugs)))
          Was me typing (((hugs))) random or predetermined when I have never typed (((hugs))) before? Wasn't it my free will that allowed me choosing to write (((hugs))) rather than being predetermined by your comment? I think I agree with you, but free will is a hard case to make.

Another example I jumped up and ran through the house with nothing on but my teddie...Wasn't that freewill?

Maybe God knew it and made sure my housecoat was right there, then I had the choice to put it on or no...Hah!

wink

If God is the entity who created free-will then it is already aware of your current/previous/future choices wink

I  know that this has been a conundrum down the through the ages. Yet I think there is an answer. 

Perhaps he is aware of our "choices" yet doesn't interfer allowing the future to unfold in countless ways. Just to see what happens.

Eternity is not locked to time and God is not limited to time just as God created space and is not limited to it. wink

Now it is possible that for us human beings, locked in time and yet free to change, that if we were told the future, we would try to alter it.

So conveying the future to us has interesting ramifications. smile

Any set of choices made within limit is not at all free-will wink

4. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

now I have a headache sad

5. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Our mind sometimes generate thoughts based on observation of others, opinion, memory and then interconnects them or cuts them and mix to come up with new thoughts. You call this a random ? It's already a part of your known thought process. Can you write a program for random number generator without algorithm ?

Unrelated to memory or any thoughts previously stored or generated to and from brain(of any person).

Example ?

Thanks.  If you made a new discovery that was unexplained by any previous observations, would it be free will of how you respond to the discovery, or would it be predetermined by your past observations? Why wouldn't a random discovery create random thoughts?

LOL. Give me example of that random discovery or thought lol

Thanks. Please define your definition of random.

Pick any standard dictionary and go ahead with random discovery example.

2. Randy Godwin profile image61
          Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The inventor of the wheel had nothing to remember or learn from others.  It still hadn't been invented in the New World before the voyage of Columbus.  As far as free will is concerned, I think it was just will, as in "where there's a will......."

Thanks. If it is new and willed, undetermined or controlled by previous examples, wouldn't this make it free will?

1. Randy Godwin profile image61

I would say yes, but then I'm not religious!  If I were a believer I would say no!  Why, because god would have already thought about the wheel beforehand and he would talk into my head like believers think he does!  Doh!

lol Thank You.

2. Pcunix profile image91
            Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You don't think they learned from watching round things roll?

But then you are referring to "possible" inspiration, which is not the same thing as the final product of using an axle along with the wheel to actually convey things from one point to another!  Something to think about, anyway!

1. Jerami profile image59
                Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The same is true when referring to communication with others

6. ceciliabeltran profile image63
    ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

Ooh...that one did not have the full speech...but maybe this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p-QWwYMsB4

I have met her personally. She has an interesting perspective.

Thanks. I watched the longer video of her. I liked her and the video, but I don't think she answered many questions, I could be wrong. I think she could have argued the computer reading thoughts and choices before you choose or act on them them, along with more mention of determinism, and why there is still free will. I think the scanner/computer reading the brain to predict thoughts and actions is pretty hard to argue, but I don't think it could always be correct. If it's not always correct, I think this gives evidence to free will and randomness, rather than determinism. I don't understand how a computer or scanner could always determine or pick the right choice a person will make when they have power to change mood or thoughts in a moments notice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6S9OidmNZM

Here is the link I am referring to. Too bad the neuroscientist can't understand the meaning of consciousness, subconsciousness, and unconscious. He repeatedly refers to the subconscious workings of the brain to being unconscious.  I would enjoy seeing him try to explain how an unconscious brain learns anything.

1. ceciliabeltran profile image63

I don't know what you saw, did you see another clip? I heard her speak in person and her stance is you can be manipulated to choice specific things. But she does say that you can choose in a specific way. (though must admit I'm not done with the book)There is also another laboratory experiment of creative people being advised to take a neighborhood walk and then they were asked to do a commercial, and then the scientist revealed the kind of commercial they will most likely make after. So the creative output was planted through "suggestions".

You can choose the signals you open yourself too. The brain has a do or don't do mechanism. That is how we can exhibit deliberate thought. But other than that, there are signals everywhere that shepherd us towards a destination of thought. This is why somehow, the same technology is invented almost the same times throughout history. It's epigenetics again. Its the environment. We tend to respond to it in predictable ways.

7. TruthDebater profile image52

Even if choice was an illusion as some believe, would it still be more motivating and empowering to that person to believe the illusion, rather than a belief that they have no choice?

How do people that believe their future is already determined with no choice empower themselves?

1. ceciliabeltran profile image63

i think there is choice, but that choice can be subject to manipulation. In the grand scheme of things our range of choices sometimes between live or die. And do or do not do. That is still choice.

1. Bimendra gun profile image59
        Bimendra gunposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that's the best one

8. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

Choice IS the illusion believed. So, of course it empowers and motivates itself. It must, to sustain itself. Even the belief they have no choice is the same as believing they have choices.

Choice is the needy, bastard child. Free will is the son of purity.

Prove it!

1. profile image0
        Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Precisely, RG, you just proved it for me.
        Necessity: need to prove. Purity: doesn't need.

Not even close!  Guess again!

2. ceciliabeltran profile image63

expound oh cryptic one. smile

1. profile image0
        Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Many assume Free Will and Choice are interchangeable words. According to the "dictionary" they are. But in reality, they are not identical. One is a product of the other. Free Will would be the semantic womb, where all things exist perfectly, without necessity. Choice is the embryo within IF the child indulges itself to survive, to exist, to will itself and to do. Choice is ever-constant necessity. Like a hunger that can never be satisfied. Show me one thought or decision humans make at the moment that is not based on need. And although humans attribute this as a good thing, why they are here and use it as a foundation of purpose, the need notion is a product of choice within choice, creating further mutations within itself. Oddly, the only reason they are able to do so is because of the Free Will connection. Think of it like radioactive lifespans, always depreciating, but never ending. Again, no matter how they see it, a tiny bit of Free Will always exists in them, for as long as they live.

Look at it this way, in the womb, the child has all needs provided, knows everything it needs to, thus, lacking no thing. Upon exit from the womb, to indulge itself, becomes Choice. If it does not indulge itself, remains a son of purity, a manifestation of Free Will. A carbon copy. If it does indulge itself, although connected still to Free Will, Choice is becomes the bastard child. An offspring nonetheless, but not a pure one. Call it a mutation. It now must continuously indulge itself to survive, so it believes, until the energy connection between it and the source [Free Will], gives out. The human being is the offspring of Creator. There are two kinds of people. Those who live in the status of Free Will as a perfect offspring or a bastardized child who lives by its own choice.

Why did choice occur? Good question. The mutation occurred at the moment when necessity is accepted --even considered, really.

Notice within the mutant, Free Will is still available, as an option or choice, but in order to reverse the mutation --so to speak-- Choice must give itself completely to Free Will again, fulfilling the void or lacking gene and be restored to its rightful place as a son of purity. Else it dies and the entire choice continuum of that entity dies and the speck of Free Will returned to the Source.

Look at light. There are two kinds: pure and artificial. Humans were once pure light reflections. Indulging choice forces them to become artificial light forms.

As said many times, Choice is limited to only the human consciousness, the mind. The mind is supposed to be a tool, not the master. Humans believe they are ruled by their thoughts and their bodies slaves to them. Ironically they are correct. Why? Because they indulge the mind, the tool, the consciousness and allow it to rule over the body and heart...

Cecilia, this is actually a collective excerpt from Quantus Philo. ~James.

9. TruthDebater profile image52

Thanks Twenty, I thought free will and choice are the same. Needed bastard child and son of purity? How did you come to these conclusions that they are different and descriptive as you have explained? If choice is only illusion, why isn't free will?

1. Dave Barnett profile image57
      Dave Barnettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe that all earthlings are on the same team, don't like it anymore than the rest of you, but in team play, you must set aside free will. The will of the team is determined by someone other than you, sometimes. Sometimes you have to pass, when you'd rather play. Are we really any different than ants? 6 billion drivers, and none obeying the signs? Each one of us marching to the beat of our own drummer? Sounds more like a nut house. Free will must succumb to reality. Unless we surrender our will, then we will never get anywhere. And I was a writer first.

Thanks. You think we are accountable to a god, but that we are no different from ants?
        True that free will is under the force of nature, so absolute free will is limited. But if a person surrenders what little free will they have, then they will not get anywhere. When a person surrenders all free will, they also surrender choice and actions, meaning no criminal is a criminal because they had no power to choose between right and wrong. Are you sure about this?

10. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

didn't know will was incarcerated! smile

11. SilentReed profile image81
    SilentReedposted 13 years ago

When someone throws a brick at your face, you're gonna think of a choice or duck ?

Thanks. It depends on the velocity and angle of the brick, so you would still have to think whether subconsciously or consciously by instinct of which direction to move. If someone threw the brick from above and your only instincts were to duck, this would likely do you no good. You would have to think and choose to move sideways/forward/backwards rather than ducking.

12. SilentReed profile image81
    SilentReedposted 13 years ago

So the choice of reaction is based on a predetermined set of subconcious patterns? Then there is no free will. Everythiing is based on conditional response like Pavlov's dogs.

Thanks. I agree to an extent that reaction is based on subconscious or instinct, but for there to be no free will, I think the reactions would have to be fixed. I think the changing of patterns or reprogramming of subconscious shows that reaction has free will and flexibility to some extent.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)