Are you a rebel, or do you play by the rules?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

Do you color outside the lines and think outside the box?
    Do you embrace the unsafe and wear mismatched socks?
    Do you push all the envelopes and break down all the doors?
    Have you stepped outside your comfort zone
    Or is your life a bore?
    You need to rock the boat and make lots of waves.
    Never be one of conformity's slaves.
    Piss into the wind and say yes to the wrong guy.
    And make sure you have lived, before you up and die.

1. camlo profile image83
      camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Having read this, I'd say I'm a rebel.

2. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Yes I am a rebel, you have to experience life for yourself to truly appreciate it!

3. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

I always go by rules to up being a rebel.  tongue

4. ddsurfsca profile image69
    ddsurfscaposted 13 years ago

I was very much a rebel until I hit about 47 or so, and now I chose my battles carefully for not all of them are worth the time and energy it takes to win them.

Disturbiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I completely agree with you that one should always plans one's battles.  This fact becomes especially obvious once you have children.  Not everything is worth fighting over, however, I think it's just an extreme defect in my character that makes me always want to go in the out door and up the down stairs.

1. sugz profile image68
        sugzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i like driving the wrong way in a one way street.. mum cracked up one day when i did it without realising hehe i just kept going.. it was fun.

battles don't have to be a fight, they can be a healthy distribution of words that are coloured miraculously by sweet directives in the form of polite sarcasm.. those ones work so much better.. specially when kids are around hehe

5. akirchner profile image92
    akirchnerposted 13 years ago

I think you can be both - you don't have to live your life by the seat of your pants 'spoiling for a fight' or making a name for yourself.  I tend to live 'inside the lines' because I just don't like to get into trouble of any kind.  However, that said, if something is WRONG and someone is BEING wronged - I'm on it like a wet suit.  I can't help it because I think some days you just have to fight for truth and justice.  So I think you can be both - you can be Clark Kent by day and Superman/woman when its needed!

1. sofs profile image77
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I live by the rules I make for myself most of the time , I do break or change some whenever I feel like. My life is never boring though I follow the  rules.
      It is fun filled and I love it!!

AWESOME!

6. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

I don't piss into the wind, but I do tug on Superman's cape and pull the mask off the Lone Ranger! smile

And you don't mess around with Jim either, I bet.  LOL.  wink

That was a good one.  Ya gotta love Jim Croce, but now I'm going to be humming that silly song all day long!

7. sugz profile image68
    sugzposted 13 years ago

Rules are made to be broken baby!!!

haha but i WONT piss into the wind.. no way no how, besides.. i'm a goil.. aint gona do that one.. nor on an electric fence.. and no i wont cock my leg to piss ona tyre either.. i've seen the boys do it tho wink thats just wrong!

the day i stay inside the box.. i'll probably be dead and even then i plan on comin back to haunt eveyrone.. nicely of course.. i'll make sure i open doors for those who are nice to me wink

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am not a rebel without a cause. But  the cause should be really good...

8. srwnson profile image62
    srwnsonposted 13 years ago

My professional life is dictated by the rules set forth by the DOT, however, in my youth I considered myself a rebel.

9. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

I fuck the rules - when I know when and where and how to do this. Otherwise I obey. smile

10. luvpassion profile image62
    luvpassionposted 13 years ago

I hate rules... mad

11. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Depends.  I follow societal rules and customs.  I don't speed, I stop for stop signs.  I don't use illegal drugs.   I won't steal, I don't cheat on my taxes..

But rules of convention?  Dangling participles?  Shaving every day?  Stuff like that?  I'm an outlaw :-)

12. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I obey all of society's rules in order to help maintain order and the peaceful running of the community in which I live.

Rules are intended to set up boundaries that will regulate human behavior so that we may all reap the benefits.

Those in authority have our best interests at heart, and I defer to their benevolent understanding of what is right and wrong.

I shun the anarchy of chaos and the instability to tranquility which it brings.

13. elayne001 profile image78
    elayne001posted 13 years ago

I tend towards the rebellious. For me, it has always been a struggle following every single rule, so I like bending the rules just enough to get a rise out of people. Sometimes I have suffered through the consequences, so I am a bit more careful which rules I bend now that I am approaching the golden years. It is funny when your kids tell you to grow up!

14. Oona Seckar profile image60
    Oona Seckarposted 13 years ago

If I had kids one thing I'd tell them is that obedience isn't a virtue in itself, and good behaviour sometimes make you a target for exploitation.  Sometimes in life you need to hone, nurture and express your 'bad attitude' side.

'I aim to misbehave'. Mal Reynolds, Firefly.

15. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

I have a picture of the finger on my license plate so when those damn red light cameras, and speed cameras take the picture, all they see is me flipping them off! smile

16. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

When it comes to day-to-day living and general personality, I lean toward being in compliance with "the rules" (although often it's because I'm just naturally in compliance, rather than "following" them).  Still, I generally want to stay out of trouble (especially with the law).

On the bigger stuff, though, I'm definitely my own person, if not a rebel in a lot of ways.  When it comes to principles, values, beliefs, or just aiming to live life my own way - definitely rebel.  For me, filing my taxes by the fifteenth, coming to a full stop at stop signs, or generally following those kinds of rules don't mean compromising anything important to me.  I don't need to do "whatever I feel like doing" or "whatever I want to do".  I just expect my life to be my own, and nobody to infringe on anyone else's life, when it comes to the important things.  Those are things worth rebelling over, suing over, or fighting for.   smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)