Lack of Followers (Am I Missing Something?)

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Freeway Flyer profile image82
    Freeway Flyerposted 13 years ago

I joined Hubpages about three weeks ago. At the moment, my Hubscore is 86, I'm getting about 30-40 views/day, and the periodic comments I've received have been mostly positive. But I have a grand total of one follower. Is there something I am missing, or is this typical for new people like me?

1. tthudium profile image60
      tthudiumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I followed you. I am interested in your hubs. I like the fourth of july one. Please keep on writing!

2. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to HubPages! smile

I did not know you existed, until you posted here in the forums. Then again, I do miss some people who come to the forums. You have 17 posts, which means within the 2-3 weeks you've been here that you have spent very little time in the forums talking to people.

To gain followers, people need to get to know you and find out who you are....not to mention, if you never left your home, then you would never meet people to make friends. If you get my point?

Do not follow someone who you are NOT interested in reading. It does no good. Following someone, just to follow someone is meaningless and useless.

Freeway Flyerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's what I've been doing so far.

2. Freeway Flyer profile image82

I've been trying to respond to questions and forum prompts. Since I'm a "newbie," I guess that I am still trying to find the right balance. Thanks.

3. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've been longer than you have and I only get two or three views a day... sometimes 0 views. Followers will eventually come, give it time, and remember to follow people yourself as well.

2. bojanglesk8 profile image60
    bojanglesk8posted 13 years ago

Start followings lots of people and they should follow back.

1. Ivorwen profile image66
      Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No!  Do not do this, unless you want to be known as a spammer.  Only follow those you are truly interested in.

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sound advice, Ivorwen.

2. nicregi profile image64
      nicregiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I got to disgaree like Ivorwen. Avoid following every one as they might think you are a spammer. Instead follow people or topic that you generally like or have high hopes on that smile

3. Diane Inside profile image73
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

I read one of your hubs, very interesting, I left a comment. But yeah if you start following people especially with similar interests, you should start getting more followers.

4. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Since you've only been on here two weeks, it's not likely you're missing anything.  It takes time for followers to build up.  The way following is supposed to work is that people are only supposed to follow writers whose work they really want to read.  Reciprocal following isn't necessarily how it's supposed to work.  Newer Hubbers need to be careful not to just follow a big bunch of people, hoping to get followers back.  That's know as "famming" (following and spamming combined, or fanning and spamming combined).  (Followers used to be called, "fans", on here.)

Anyway, just write and enjoy HubPages.  Followers will come.

I like that term, "famming." Good advice.

5. Rochelle Frank profile image92
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

Making an occasonal comment in the forums helps bring attention to your hubs-- people get curious about who said something. It takes awhile, and you are still "new".
    On the other hand, don't get too concerned about the numbers of followers (or any other numbers  here), Write good stuff and let it happen naturally.

6. nicregi profile image64
    nicregiposted 13 years ago

Hi there.

First of all, people who love your article will follow you. Not to say that the only way to get followers are through quality articles but it will normally take a little while before you start getting some followers.

Do you promote your articles? Promoting articles is a great way to increase your article views and even your good name smile

Being active in forums and HubPages could also give you some nice amount of followers too!

Finally, some people would add and follow every one and in return, we will follow back. This is one of most common method but it is not really healthy in a long run (since it depends highly on your article) if you are able to attract their attention to what you write.

1. sofs profile image78
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi freeway Flyer,  welcome to HP
      You have righted the wrong. you have made people aware of you, you will be followed as long as you write stuff people like to read. Don't worry about that.  Best wishes to you!!

Thanks. The confusing thing to me is that we get all of these warnings about "self-promotion." I guess I'm still figuring out exactly what that means.

1. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have always taken "self-promotion" in the very narrow sense that it means "don't post links to your work".  On the other hand if your self promotion is to provide help or information to others then the "promotion" part comes naturally as a result of your content and help, not as a result of spamming your hubs everywhere around you.

Talk to people on the forums; give your opinions and thoughts as well as knowledge you have accumulated.  I totally understand about the knowledge base of a newbie - as one myself I seldom have much to contribute to technical questions, but I try where I can.

7. profile image0
    ankigarg87posted 13 years ago

Nothing happens if you have less followers my friend. Just only concentrate on your hubs and traffic ? If you write good hubs followers will automatically comes.I see most followers comes if you follow them .

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually the whole point of following someone is because you like what they write - not because you want them to follow you in return.

Followers, hubscore and authorscore have little or no influence at all on outside traffic.

Google is the traffic king!

1. profile image0

The Original Poster wants followers, to be appreciated, to be liked by his peers. Not an uncommon desire in human culture. Google has little to do with that subject.

1. WryLilt profile image87
          WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...and ankigarg87 spam followed about 100 people just a few hours ago.

1. profile image0

Thanks for the information, and you are right - it doesn't make sense.

8. NZUNG SERAPHINE profile image60
    NZUNG SERAPHINEposted 13 years ago

I am your new follower.all the best

1. profile image0

Start a thread like this, the followers will come. Oh, poor me!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)