How to Sell Paintings Online Successfully?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (36 posts)
  1. DebtFreedom profile image75
    DebtFreedomposted 13 years ago

I am considering selling my paintings. Where I live there aren't really any galleries that do it. I was wondering how it can be done online. I've seen people selling on Ebay but they don't seem to sell much. Does creating your own website and advertising do it? or what? I'd love suggestions. Thanks.

1. maddartist profile image67
      maddartistposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My roommate and i put our paintings up for sale on http://www.etsy.com which is an arts and crafts selling website. You get your own "store" and you can share the link to it with anyone. I tried using ebay but i didn't like it since they are only posted for a week and people don't look to buy artwork in ebay.
      I hope that helps.

DebtFreedomposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for replying madd. Do you find you are more successful? And while you can share it with anyone, can people say google it and find your "store"?

2. profile image51
        arsh2anandposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hello Madd,

I opened a website to sell paintings. I am contacting artist from all around the world to put their painting on my website.

So please contact me on my mail ID- arsh2anand@gmail.com

Thanks

2. G L Strout profile image70
      G L Stroutposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know several artists who sell on their own websites and do so quite successfully. 

One lady Iknow sells on ebay but they ar every small and inexpensive works- the kind o fthing you canturn out in a morning.

Several people I know sell on Etsy and have really good success with it.  One girl I know is making abourt $70-80,000 a year on Etsy selling purses!

Several painters on there have over !00-200 sales a year.

Good Luck!

Thanks G L, this etsy sounds like the real deal. Maybe I will try it.

3. waynet profile image69
      waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A good website with a gallery of your best work does wonders as does a physical portfolio of work. Selling on Ebay does work, but I would consider researching Ebay a bit before you start listing your paintings and stuff willy nilly. as you have to categorize and list your listing to the best of your ability for it to sell. Not to mention ebays fees you have to pay if your art doesn't sell the second time around!

I would do a website or blog and have your best art featured in an online gallery type portfolio where other people can find your art and then you also join other places where you can place your art for sale on them sites, such as Etsy, Cafepress, Zazzle, Deviantart and you could set up a payment option with Paypal to offer your works of art from your website or blog.

Good luck!

4. YU_First 1 profile image61
      YU_First 1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Most artists swear by Etsy. It must be worth a try. I am an artist myself and am planning to follow suit... using etsy.

5. shafiqahmed profile image43
      shafiqahmedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are many websites that can help you with this regard. http://newslinekarachi.com/art.htm starts recently publish new and emerging artists works on its pages. This is an absolutely free service.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
        Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I will come back to this tread  for more tips also.

6. profile image53
      SurmritGalleryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We are an online art gallery which gives a platform for artists to show case their work and help them market. We do have contract signing for security reasons. If you would like to know more please email us at info(at)surmritgallery.com. Our website: www.surmritgallery.com. We are on facebook as well : http://www.facebook.com/pages/Surmrit-G … 0333387268

Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks

In a couple of months I'll be ready to fly again

7. profile image52
      Toofoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello All! Could you please share your experience regarding selling your paintings. What type of selling do you select? Do you sell oil painting with stretcher or canvas only?
      Regards.

8. profile image52
      khalidthakurposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

Castlepalomaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

9. skyfire profile image78
      skyfireposted 13 years ago

Story Bird
      Etsy
      Zazzle

Thanks skyfire, I'll check those out too.

10. bojanglesk8 profile image59
      bojanglesk8posted 13 years ago

Be lucky.

That's probably a tough one. hahah

11. saleheensblog profile image61
      saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

waynet has written a very informative hub on it that I read a few days ago. you can check it

12. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I am using zazzle, but a lot of my art is digital and works well with zazzle. The cool thing there is that you can post designs on more then just posters and prints, they do a huge range of items that can be printed to. It is kinda fun to find as many items as fits a design as possible smile

13. Jacqui Simpson profile image60
      Jacqui Simpsonposted 13 years ago

Oh my goodness if we only all had the answer to that question!
      I am right there, right now! Working my tail off but learning a lot in the process.
      You have just given me a good idea for my very first hub! Thank you. Keep an eye on my seriously empty page and I will post it soon. I am sure that I can help to get you started. smile

14. readytoescape profile image61
      readytoescapeposted 13 years ago

I have a friend that is a very accomplished Artist, she has an online gallery. Her site is linked below you might get some ideas or email her.

http://www.lynnherrickartist.com/

15. MyInfo411 profile image79
      MyInfo411posted 13 years ago

Fine Art America.com.  Check it out.  I have my art there.

16. Dolores Monet profile image93
      Dolores Monetposted 13 years ago

As you are already on HP, you know something about drawing traffic to a site, so Etsy might work for you. But if I wanted to buy a painting, I would want to see it in person first. Selling art ain't easy.

17. Mikeydoes profile image42
      Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

If you are targeting your area or any I strongly suggest using Adwords, its what I am going to do soon.

If you have a site where they can see all your paintings that would be great.

18. Stacie L profile image89
      Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

I've had limited sales on both etsy and zazzle..
      there is a lot of competition..
      I also highlight some of my work on blogs...
      sad

19. asian art profile image61
      asian artposted 13 years ago

etsy is great, but if you're in Asia, there's a beautiful and very professional site called Artyii. If you look at the site, they help artists get their paintings on hotels, restaurants and individual collectors.

my recommendation is asian art or www.artyii.com . have some friends there as well who said they've not sold but have been picked by galleries through it.

Of course, you have to based in Asia! =P

20. Artsfuse profile image61
      Artsfuseposted 11 years ago

this site has just come to my attention     http://jackartgallery.com/        free to have an online gallery.  looks okay and you can be anywhere in the world.
      Another thought is to belong to an online art community     such as Fine Art America  or daily painters where there is a website that one can upload images of paintings etc.  They do have a fee.  But work really well.

Hope that helps

21. jacharless profile image75
      jacharlessposted 11 years ago

E T S Y : not only one of the coolest groups of East Coast programmers, here in NYC, but one of the coolest concepts to come out of the East Coast Art Movement. A few artist friends - from painting to original origami - have had excellent success with Etsy and have been offered consignment deals, gallery listings, shows, marketing meet-ups and more.

My mom was a brilliant painter, so it is a close-to-home expression. Keep the passion flowing.

James.

22. SmartAndFun profile image94
      SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

Has anyone ever tried Saatchi online? http://saatchionline.com

23. profile image53
      MarioArtposted 11 years ago

you can also try http://www.MyBestCanvas.com it's a good place to start it.

24. ootytour profile image61
      ootytourposted 11 years ago

Only the Google search can help you. Yes its only shows the way where are all you can sell (Websites).
      If your quality is good; then, do online marketing. Unless & until people aware about your skills, you can't sell even your art work is too good. So, showcase your art works everywhere.  Register in many art related web directories, Create a own website/ portfolio with your original contact info. These are all  helps the visitor to TRUST you to purchase online.

1. thoughtfulgirl2 profile image82
        thoughtfulgirl2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would suggest www.redbubble.com.  Joining is free. There are no monthly fees. Listing your work is free, uploading is easy and if you want to turn some of your artwork into t-shirts or I-Phone cases, you can do that here also.  Set your percentage of the price of the artwork to anything.  I set mine at 40 percent.  Some people set it as low as 15 percent, some as high as 60 percent.  Good luck. P.S. Etsy is also another very well put together venue for artists.  Also absolutely free to join and minimal charges for listing your art.

25. xceedcarrentals profile image61
      xceedcarrentalsposted 11 years ago

Not a big deal just share your paintings on social media sites and promote them or you can run ads on the net for online auctions.

26. thecatgallery profile image60
      thecatgalleryposted 11 years ago

I'd also like to recommend FAA, and I also sell prints of my art and the occasional original from my own website. FYI, my experience suggests that buyers prefer to be able to use their credit cards directly rather than go through PayPal, which means setting up a merchant account and hosting with your own website. Just what I've observed with my site.

27. jerry121 profile image58
      jerry121posted 7 years ago

If you want to sell paintings online successfully, Showflipper is the best place for you. Here you can submit your paintings online and Showflipper will do the rest. Thet do promotions for you on different social media platforms and help you reach millions of buyers online. To start selling your paintings online, visit Showflipper sell page.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)